While browsing on CityData this morning using their census map tool, I came across a couple of interesting observations about where the remaining white population in Detroit lives.

1) Outside of Downtown, the area with the most significant white population is the far east side [[EEV, Cornerstone Village) area, where 1/3 of the population is white. Other interesting outposts include Brightmoor [[around 30% white as a whole, but near 2/3 white majority on some blocks), Boston Edison [[wholly around 25% white but again, some blocks especially around the lodge were 50%+ white), and Warrendale [[25% white)

2) Some areas where I would’ve thought there to be a higher white population was actually lower than expected. North Rosedale Park’s days as one of Detroit’s most integrated neighborhoods must be over as 2010 census only shows around 15-20% white. Even Sherwood Forest is only 20% white and Palmer Park isn’t much more at 25%.

3) But changing the map to show the 1990 census is much more interesting. The city is barely 20% white at this point, but there are still some neighborhoods in the far fringes which are very white, which I would assume would be due to the residency requirement still in effect. The far west side [[Parkland/Copper Canyon) was near 80% white and areas on the east side around 8 Mile/Kelly and I-94/Moross were 2/3 white at this point and Rosedale Park area and the far northwest side were around 50/50 racial split.

So the general story that this shows is that the white population was concentrated in a few neighborhoods by 1990 and today traces of white populations exist on the fringes. As the white population grows in the center of Detroit, blacks continue to push out to the suburbs of Southfield, Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Oak Park etc.