Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Good hire, and very surprised he was interested. Just heard him talking on the radio, and he claims to have turned down the Red Sox job. Also said Kaline and Trammel were in the interview and swayed him to the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Good hire, and very surprised he was interested. Just heard him talking on the radio, and he claims to have turned down the Red Sox job. Also said Kaline and Trammel were in the interview and swayed him to the Tigers.
    I don't blame him for turning down the Red Sox job. Too much pressure to win, like in New York. John Farrell was there 5 seasons, went 93-69 this year, wins the AL East, first Sox manager in their history to win back to back AL East titles, and wins the WS his first year there, and he gets canned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I don't blame him for turning down the Red Sox job. Too much pressure to win, like in New York. John Farrell was there 5 seasons, went 93-69 this year, wins the AL East, first Sox manager in their history to win back to back AL East titles, and wins the WS his first year there, and he gets canned.
    Red Sox never made an offer to Gardenhire [[expressed that in the press conference), nothing to refuse or turn down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Red Sox never made an offer to Gardenhire [[expressed that in the press conference), nothing to refuse or turn down.....
    Yes. He actually stated when he got the Tigers offer on Wed. he asked the Red Sox, who he had already interviewed with, if they were ready to make a decision. They stated they weren't because they were still interviewing other candidates, so he accepted the Tigers job. I was surprised he revealed this at his Tigers press conference as it implies his 1st choice would have been the Red Sox job.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yes. He actually stated when he got the Tigers offer on Wed. he asked the Red Sox, who he had already interviewed with, if they were ready to make a decision. They stated they weren't because they were still interviewing other candidates, so he accepted the Tigers job. I was surprised he revealed this at his Tigers press conference as it implies his 1st choice would have been the Red Sox job.
    My interpretation of the situation.....if possible, he was going to weigh both offers [[$$$) before making a final decision. However, with the Red Sox still going thru the interview process, he chose the only valid offer on the table, very wise move. Give Avila some credit for taking action before the season end & selecting a Mgr mid-October.

On another note; Ole Dombrowski sure didn't hire his wonder-boy Ausmus for the Sox Mgr slot....why knot?
    Last edited by Smirnoff; October-23-17 at 04:41 PM.