Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    Bvos, I went through the same thing only murders, rapes break ins, car vandelism and the whole 9 yards, but when I said anything I got jumped on like white on rice. Im very surprised you are not getting lambasted on this subject. I quit posting because of it. All that being said, I ran a 50 unit apartment building in Palmer park where all this happened.
    The same thing happened to me.

As much as I miss the "old" Detroit that I lived in and would love to go back to those times, I am glad I live in the burbs. Yes, there is some crime, mostly petty stuff. I can sit on my porch without fearing a stray bullet, I can walk or ride my bike at night with no fears, my grandchildren can play at the park [[so far) and not get robbed of their cell phone or jacket or shoes.

This will probably change because the Detroit thug element is beginning to spread North and we will begin to experience the same types of crimes we had in Detroit. Hopefully, our police will be ready and put a stop to it. Our neighborhoods all keep a close eye on each other, watch our houses, we care about each other. If the police can't respond in a timely manner, the neighbors will.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Now, THERE you go. Triple... no, QUADRUPLE the size of the police force on the street. Adopt a zero-tolerance stance toward crime... in other words, if officers observe obvious criminal activity, shoot 'em. If it is merely suspicious, warn 'em and then shoot 'em.

I guarantee there will be less crime [[and less criminals, eventually) if there's a 80-90 percent chance that criminal activity will result in the perp being shot. Instill a little good old-fashioned FEAR.

And with more cops, there would be no reason for investing so much money in nice little "volunteer" programs like Angels' Night. Why is Detroit still even doing this? NO, just put four times as many cops on the street... and if the situation looks like arson, shoot 'em. Shoot 'em and good riddance.
    The police do not necessarily mean a policy of fear and a police state where sneezing on the street gets you shot 47 times. I came to my estimation based on the population and area of Detroit compared to New York & Chicago. Detroit needed more cops in 1967, yet there are about 1000 fewer on the street today than at the time of the riot.

Tripling [[or at least doubling) the size of the police force would allow for cops walking a beat in ALL areas of the city, and at ALL hours of the day and night. Maybe some people prefer a cop car cruising by their place once a year doing 40mph. I happen to believe a couple cops walking down the street may see more.

There is a great difference between a strong police force and having a police state. I happen to believe that a strong police force that is friendly to the community would do wonders for the city.

Quote: "I happen to believe a couple cops walking down the street may see more."

Ok, they flood the street with Police officers, they find these folks breaking the law and arrest them. They are back out doing the same shit the next day because they have already been released. The perps in the above mentioned case have probably been arrested numerous times. I'd bet money on that.

Default My apartment building I managed is right behind Menjos

1001 Merton. Before that I lived on Grixdale and John R and had my house completely emptied out [[they even took my hanging plants and clothes). I was the only white guy [[and gay at that) in the neighborhood and nobody seen anything and I have been called a racist and it must have been my fault on this site. I've just quit posting because of the nasty adittudes on this site. I love detroit and especially Palmer Park, and would LOVE to live there again with the gay community, but the gay community will NEVER come back to Detroit like it was in the 70's-80's.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I happen to believe a couple cops walking down the street may see more."

Ok, they flood the street with Police officers, they find these folks breaking the law and arrest them. They are back out doing the same shit the next day because they have already been released. The perps in the above mentioned case have probably been arrested numerous times. I'd bet money on that.
    I graduated from a prestigious school on the shores of lake Michigan. I do not want to drop names but I want everyone to understand my credentials when I speak. Arresting law breakers is an effective means of stopping crime.

While I was studying in school I learned a lot about the affectiveness of law enforcement as a means to protect law abiding citizens. The greatest law of all of course is God's law. These criminals will have enough to deal with when they meet their maker. look what God has wrought on other sinners in our society. "Swine Flu" will infect and destroy most of these evil people. It will be called "Swine flu" more because it kills the swine of our society rather than being a pig sickness.

God has a plan.We just do not understand it yet. But we will when he sets things right in his sight. If you have not returned to the Lord Jesus Christ I suggest that you do so now, before the Swine Flu God has sent manifests itself in God's great glory.

My campus, and the town it was in, was always kept safe by the university and city police.

Do you find life as a pessimist entertaining?
    Last edited by R8RBOB; August-25-09 at 12:03 PM.

He just finds himself entertaining

Quote: "Do you find life as a pessimist entertaining? "

I'm a realist. I don't buy the garbage about if we had more cops, we'd have less crime. Or if we still had our street cars, we'd have less crime. Or if we had mass transit the city would begin to heal. Or, It's lack of opportunity [[biggest laugh of them all), Or too many people moved, the reason we have so much crime. Or if the Government spent more money on Detroit it wouldn't look like it does. If the Big 3 hadn't pulled out of the city it would look that way. All nonsense, and none of it can be supported by any argument as there are examples up the yang elsewhere, same circumstance totally different result.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; August-25-09 at 12:16 PM.

I've been reading this post with much interest. There are so many different comments to which I'd like to respond. Of course, I won't. I guess just to summarize some of my thoughts I'd like to say that BVos, I'm sorry to hear that you have these problems. I'm also somewhat surprised, as were a couple of other posters, that these problems are coming into Rosedale Park.
    For Izzy & some of the other posters who, as my brother would say, are "psyched on Detroit", perhaps the reality of the decline hasn't hit you or sunk it yet. When I was single, I lived in Warrendale, which was, at the time, an okay neighborhood. When I got engaged, my fiance`, who lived on the eastside near 7 & Gratiot most of his life, was hellbent on getting out of Detroit. He had had 2 cars stolen from his driveway, another car broken into for the stereo, had garage broken into, and experienced his brother being carjacked in that neighborhood. This was all in within a 2 1/2 yr period. His neighbors were having similar experiences. He sold his house to a broker & took a loss just to get out right before we got married. We lived in Lincoln Park at first, but when he started seeing some of the same signs of decline there, he said we had to get out while the getting was good. I still attend church in Warrendale, but my Sunday commute just reveals things getting worse in that area. Fewer occupied homes, more trash, more abandoned homes that've been urban mined, etc.
    As some others have said, when the cons outnumber the pros & your safety is at stake, there's no reason to hang around. I don't see any great Detroit resurrection on the horizon. Regarding the increasing number of crimes projected due to MDOC releasing prisoners, be advised they won't be the only ones. All the county jails are having money problems, so they'll be housing less offenders too.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Tripling [[or at least doubling) the size of the police force would allow for cops walking a beat in ALL areas of the city, and at ALL hours of the day and night. Maybe some people prefer a cop car cruising by their place once a year doing 40mph. I happen to believe a couple cops walking down the street may see more.... I happen to believe that a strong police force that is friendly to the community would do wonders for the city.
    Of COURSE, that's what I'm really talking about -- many more cops walking on the streets. I was making a dramatic point. And besides, I'm pissed about the sad state of safety in the city.

Quote: "Do you find life as a pessimist entertaining? "

I'm a realist. I don't buy the garbage about if we had more cops, we'd have less crime. Or if we still had our street cars, we'd have less crime. Or if we had mass transit the city would begin to heal. Or, It's lack of opportunity [[biggest laugh of them all), Or too many people moved, the reason we have so much crime. Or if the Government spent more money on Detroit it wouldn't look like it does. If the Big 3 hadn't pulled out of the city it would look that way. All nonsense, and none of it can be supported by any argument as there are examples up the yang elsewhere, same circumstance totally different result.
    You sound more like a right-wing headcase but I am going to give a social experiment to think on.

Take 10 house-broken dogs and put them in a lock room with nothing but a slab of meat and a pail of water. The slab of meat and pail of water represents opportunity. The opportunity to fill their bellies and keep from going thirsty. As time goes by, the slab of meat is nothing but bones so no more meat. The pail of water is nothing but droplets. What is going to happen next?

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    I graduated from a prestigious school on the shores of lake Michigan. I do not want to drop names but I want everyone to understand my credentials when I speak. Arresting law breakers is an effective means of stopping crime.
    Your insight is breath-taking! I hope the tuition at Milwaukee Community College was affordable.

Before you leave, BVOS, get the whole Rosedale neighborhood out to city hall. The entire neighborhood - full of homeowners whose property values will keep plummeting as crime increases and residents bolt - needs to converge onto city hall and shut it down until they PERSONALLY meet with the mayor and new police chief and get a promise of increased police foot patrols.

Go to the neighborhood association meeting - see if you can recruit residents who attend - surely some of them have been victims as well.

Go door-to-door - Each concerned resident takes one block - From McNichols to Lyndon, Evergreen to Southfield Fr.- "Hey, have you been a victim of crime, then come down to city hall with your neighbors" - Surely they can get off work one day to help resolve a crucial issue that is affecting their pocketbook [[their dropping home values), and most importantly, their peace of mind.

You have influential people that live in your neighborhood - Freman Hendrix, etc. Surely, you can get to him, to see if he could be a leader/spokesman in this effort!

I know this sounds idealistic, but has anyone ever tried it?
    Last edited by masterblaster; August-25-09 at 01:50 PM.

EastSider Guest

How many people are willing to fight through the crowd of spoiled city employees and professional activists protesting common sense cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    You sound more like a right-wing headcase but I am going to give a social experiment to think on.

Take 10 house-broken dogs and put them in a lock room with nothing but a slab of meat and a pail of water. The slab of meat and pail of water represents opportunity. The opportunity to fill their bellies and keep from going thirsty. As time goes by, the slab of meat is nothing but bones so no more meat. The pail of water is nothing but droplets. What is going to happen next?
    Detroit rises?

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Your insight is breath-taking! I hope the tuition at Milwaukee Community College was affordable.

Apparently my post is Spot On. House broken dogs have nothing to do with this! The fact that we are being visited by numerous extraterrestrials and super natural beings tells me that God has set his plan in motion.

The Nain Rouge does not begin visiting Detroit again for shits and giggles. He has been sent here to exact restitution for the sins being committed. A true in depth analyses of the situation is disheartening. We have dug our own grave and now we are going to have to lie in it. The only way out is through the Lord. Listen, I am not making this up. It is written in the Bible. I took many classes in college to understand that holy scripture. Now I see its power unfolding before me.

I know also that others have attacked me. This just reinforces the fact that I am right. They are sinners and they fear the wrath of the Lord. How many police could Detroit hire if Kwame paid his restitution? Hah! it doesn't matter. Kwame was a pawn who was forced down the maw of a powerful destructive machine that used him to hide its true intention.

Apparently my post is Spot On. House broken dogs have nothing to do with this! The fact that we are being visited by numerous extraterrestrials and super natural beings tells me that God has set his plan in motion.

The Nain Rouge does not begin visiting Detroit again for shits and giggles. He has been sent here to exact restitution for the sins being committed. A true in depth analyses of the situation is disheartening. We have dug our own grave and now we are going to have to lie in it. The only way out is through the Lord. Listen, I am not making this up. It is written in the Bible. I took many classes in college to understand that holy scripture. Now I see its power unfolding before me.

I know also that others have attacked me. This just reinforces the fact that I am right. They are sinners and they fear the wrath of the Lord. How many police could Detroit hire if Kwame paid his restitution? Hah! it doesn't matter. Kwame was a pawn who was forced down the maw of a powerful destructive machine that used him to hide its true intention.
    This is satire, right?

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    This is satire, right?
    Nope. Perfectly serious. And you should heed the words.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    How many people are willing to fight through the crowd of spoiled city employees and professional activists protesting common sense cuts?
    Do you know for a fact that these employees that work for the City of Detroit are spoiled? Where do you get your information about "spoiled" city employees? What justifies that statement?

Buy American Guest

Isn't there a Twilight Zone website you can visit?

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Isn't there a Twilight Zone website you can visit?
    The twilight zone was a great American TV show. Written, filmed, acted, and edited by Americans. Now everyone watches BBC on PBS or some shit filmed in Vancouver or Toronto that is made to look like NY. Good work Americans. Way to support your fellow citizens.

WHAT YOU WATCH WATCHES AMERICA!

The twilight zone was a great American TV show. Written, filmed, acted, and edited by Americans. Now everyone watches BBC on PBS or some shit filmed in Vancouver or Toronto that is made to look like NY. Good work Americans. Way to support your fellow citizens.

WHAT YOU WATCH WATCHES AMERICA!
    You're really DANNY aren't you.

Amazing thread everyone. Very eye opening.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Do you know for a fact that these employees that work for the City of Detroit are spoiled? Where do you get your information about "spoiled" city employees? What justifies that statement?
    What justifies that statement? Walking through city hall, what with all the slippers, slip-slapping down the halls; the lack of eye contact and usually even a "How may I help you?" Certainly no "thank you" or "have a nice day."

Or how about taking a trip to that nirvana of customer service, the 36th district court. Even the city attorney knows its a ghetto court.

Get off your damn union high horse and admit the city of Detroit workforce is overpaid for the sloppy, ignorant, lazy work they [[may) do.

Lorax Guest

While I was studying in school I learned a lot about the affectiveness of law enforcement as a means to protect law abiding citizens. The greatest law of all of course is God's law. These criminals will have enough to deal with when they meet their maker. look what God has wrought on other sinners in our society. "Swine Flu" will infect and destroy most of these evil people. It will be called "Swine flu" more because it kills the swine of our society rather than being a pig sickness.

God has a plan.We just do not understand it yet. But we will when he sets things right in his sight. If you have not returned to the Lord Jesus Christ I suggest that you do so now, before the Swine Flu God has sent manifests itself in God's great glory.

My campus, and the town it was in, was always kept safe by the university and city police.
    You aren't serious?

I didn't know Bob Jones University had a Michigan campus. Or was it "Liberty" University, the spawn of the demon seed himself- the undead Jerry Falwell?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast