Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    We have renderings!

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...rX2bShdv6lEbnU

Lots of photos, I'll attach them all in batches.

Attachment 41016

Attachment 41017

Attachment 41018

Edit: Couldn't attach more than 3, oddly enough. So the link has more.
    Excellent post! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Roosevelt park is staying a park. The city has large plans for Roosevelt park and the surrounding area. Including removing the road down the center of it and completely rebuilding the intersection at Michigan and Rosa Park. Rosa Park will also become 2 way north of I-75.

You need to look at the cities soon to be finalized greater Corktown framework. There are plans for over 700 housing units in Corktown and North Corktown.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/pl...eater-corktown
    Another great post, thank you!

Removing the road is the best idea. It'll be a really incredible place for people and a pretty massive park.

Having pedestrian walkways lead up to the station in the park is giving me Champ de Mars vibes.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; November-19-20 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Having pedestrian walkways lead up to the station in the park is giving me Champ de Mars vibes.
    I hope to see you there on a picnic blanket, while random hawkers walk around selling overpriced champagne and miniature models of the MCS.

Update on Ford train station community benefits.
    https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/3886...aGODKgnDqaTfFY

You know reading that comes across as Ford had to sign an agreement to provide millions in public benefit,even by demand.

For the privilege of buying one of the most iconic buildings in the city and spending hundreds of millions to rehab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You know reading that comes across as Ford had to sign an agreement to provide millions in public benefit,even by demand.

For the privilege of buying one of the most iconic buildings in the city and spending hundreds of millions to rehab it.
    Not exactly. They had to sign the agreement in order to get over $300 million dollars in tax incentives. They could have given up the tax incentives and not had to do the community benefits.

Not exactly. They had to sign the agreement in order to get over $300 million dollars in tax incentives. They could have given up the tax incentives and not had to do the community benefits.
    Yeah I often believe companies think "let's see we need 250 million to make this work" then the CFO says "don't forget to add in the all the community benefits stuff so let's make it an even 300 million".
    Last edited by 401don; December-11-20 at 12:20 PM.

Yes I understand the concept and reasoning behind it and that Detroit is the only city in the country to implement it,but there are only so many Fords in the country that write that off,notice how many projects got pulled off of the table due to “labor shortages” after it took effect.

It lowers the investment pool to only companies or corporations that can absorb the costs.

Detroit has a lot of vacant and underused large buildings that would fall into the category of costing in excess of the 75 million project threshold.

You can get tax incentives in any city to do the same thing and cities are happy to have the investment without the requirement of adding another 20 million or more on top of the deal.

Tax incentives are provided to offset the losses and compensation for bringing a undervalued building back to life verses making it into a parking lot.

So take a look around and see how many buildings that one thinks would take more then 75 million to rehab and just decide they will now become parking lots.

This requirement only applies to huge projects that require large amounts of incentive. Smaller projects don't require community benefits aggreements. Basically for this to apply to a project, The project must recieve either $1million in city property or $300,000 in tax credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yes I understand the concept and reasoning behind it and that Detroit is the only city in the country to implement it,but there are only so many Fords in the country that write that off,notice how many projects got pulled off of the table due to “labor shortages” after it took effect.

It lowers the investment pool to only companies or corporations that can absorb the costs.

Detroit has a lot of vacant and underused large buildings that would fall into the category of costing in excess of the 75 million project threshold.

You can get tax incentives in any city to do the same thing and cities are happy to have the investment without the requirement of adding another 20 million or more on top of the deal.

Tax incentives are provided to offset the losses and compensation for bringing a undervalued building back to life verses making it into a parking lot.

So take a look around and see how many buildings that one thinks would take more then 75 million to rehab and just decide they will now become parking lots.
    Detroit has come a long way from say 20 years ago... most of the old [[non-industrial) buildings are either gone or have been [[or are being) rehabbed. In other cities these buildings would likely have been pounded to rubble for new construction, but in Detroit many more have been restored/rehabbed, which is one reason why so many visitors to our downtown area are impressed with what has been saved and repurposed.

This is one reason we have arguably the 2nd largest theatre district in the country. [[Granted theatres are taking a pounding during the pandemic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Detroit has come a long way from say 20 years ago... most of the old [[non-industrial) buildings are either gone or have been [[or are being) rehabbed. In other cities these buildings would likely have been pounded to rubble for new construction, but in Detroit many more have been restored/rehabbed, which is one reason why so many visitors to our downtown area are impressed with what has been saved and repurposed.

This is one reason we have arguably the 2nd largest theatre district in the country. [[Granted theatres are taking a pounding during the pandemic.)
    No argument there,other then you forgot about Fisher body,Packard plant,Kelvinator,Russel industrial center and the rest of the millions in square feet of industrial and warehouse space that is really the bread n butter of the workforce and tax base,not to even mention outside of downtown.

Those buildings were pretty much crucial to the development of the outer core,which without the downtown will reach a point of stall.

As far as I can tell on the map there is a pretty big city outside the downtown core that still needs attention.

Do you think even the P building will get any substantial renovations now?

The way around that is either do not attempt any projects over $75 million or go elsewhere.

Or those with buildings already will do segmented rehabilitations,which draws any recovery out longer.

I guess,all though to late now but was Detroit really on that solid of a foundation where it can take the stance of it is the corporations responsible for rebuilding the city.

They used to have cities like that back in the day,they were called corporation towns,the depression,recessions and bankruptcy pretty much wiped them out.

I guess all the other social experiments worked out so well in the past for the city,why not this one,what have you got to lose?

Next it will be if you buy a house in a depressed neighborhood you have to contribute $25,000 to $50,000 to the rest of the neighborhood,for the privilege of course.
    Last edited by Richard; December-11-20 at 11:09 PM.

Removing the road is the best idea. It'll be a really incredible place for people and a pretty massive park.
    Horrible idea. That's my shortcut from Downtown to Michigan Ave to Mexican Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Horrible idea. That's my shortcut from Downtown to Michigan Ave to Mexican Town.
    Oh no, how sad. I guess you'll have to take the parallel streets less than a block away.

Oh no, how sad. I guess you'll have to take the parallel streets less than a block away.
    Oh yes... let's make folks take the side streets in order to get back to Vernor Hwy.... the only major roadway that crosses over I-96/I-75. I'm sure the residents of those side streets don't mind the extra vehicular traffic...

Cutting off the only commercial street between Corktown and Mexicantown is not a good idea.

However... there will likely be some alternative route planned to keep the 2 enclaves connected... the city planning department and Ford aren't that stupid.

LOL Vernor "highway" is a two lane road, with residents on it....

16th street more directly connects to Vernor and as of right now there are no residential units on it. So nothing is getting cut off.

That area is a tangled mess of roads and intersections, if anything getting rid of them will be better for traffic. It needs to be done and I'm glad it's happening. Also I'm not at all sympathetic to complaints about vehicles being ever so slightly inconvenienced. We're creating walkable neighborhoods here, your cars are not the priority to say the least.

^^ I remember when I was younger going down to MSC and seeing all the neighborhoods around the station, which was still open.

Just did a Google search and had forgotten how desolate the area around the MSC has become. They can reroute the traffic to get thru to Mexicantown without any problem.

But as far as walkability goes... there needs to be neighborhoods there first for any kind of walkability to take hold. I don't see much neighborhood going up around the MSC in the plans... much of the neighborhood planning is for north Corktown, north of the Fisher Fwy. Maybe by 2025-2030 there might be some neighborhoods around the MSC. I hope so.

It wouldn't be difficult to build some infill around roosevelt park, which I'm sure is coming with 5,000 high paying tech jobs in the station. I mean Ford's whole mission statement is to build density in the area.

Corktown has been developing pretty rapidly even before all this and there's a lot of small developments that go under the radar.

Ford Motor company and Bedrock are the only two companies that had purchased old abandoned buildings and actually put or is putting life into them. The Packard and Fisher plants were probably sold to fly by night developers who have no real plans to developing them but probably give kickbacks to some city employee or elected official in order to purchase them or j7st to own them without doing too much to the

What bothers me now about the connection to Vernor Highway heading west is that there is no easily seen signage that indicates Vernor or Mexicantown when heading west on Michigan. There is a street sign but it's small and since you can't turn left on to Vernor you're not likely to see it. I thought it would have been convenient to make the lanes of Vernor heading towards Michigan Avenue a two-way, and allow for left turns. Then close off the current lanes of Vernor heading southwest. That would have added more park land and still have an easy route to and from Vernor and Mexicantown.

The proposed closing of both lanes of Vernor through Roosevelt Park is going to really increase the size of the park. I'm ok with that, but they need to have signage on Michigan Avenue indicating how to connect to Vernor and Mexicantown. That helps those who don't know the area connect to Mexicantown. I hope the designers remember that.
    Last edited by royce; December-18-20 at 06:23 PM.

^^^ Royce... if no one else... then Mexicantown will probably remind them of that...

We're creating walkable neighborhoods here, your cars are not the priority to say the least.
    In the Motor City???, I think they are. Detroit has very few 'walkable' neighborhoods. The average resident has to drive at least a half mile to find the nearest local grocery store or dollar store unless their corner liquor or gas station has the items they need.

And Vernor Highway is a commercial street with many establishments. But you would have to live in Detroit to know that.
    Last edited by Sehv313; December-18-20 at 07:24 PM.

It wouldn't be difficult to build some infill around roosevelt park, which I'm sure is coming with 5,000 high paying tech jobs in the station. I mean Ford's whole mission statement is to build density in the area.
    I like how you form your viewpoints around 5,000 jobs that don't even exist.

Corktown has been developing pretty rapidly even before all this and there's a lot of small developments that go under the radar.
    With the inner-roads in the park closing, creating more park space, residential along the park's eastern edge along 14th would be an ideal spot to put some infill housing. Turn 14th Street into a two-way and that would be the icing on the cake.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast