Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Here are the 2017 15 USA cities with the worst traffic congestion. On this list are many of the cities that some here thing have a better chance than Detroit. Missing from this list..... is Detroit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-ci...ave-worsened-1

What Atlanta has going for it is a relatively high number of recent
    computer engineering graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Who says Detroit can't be competitive? We may be a long shot at getting this.... but at least we can offer up some real competition... especially when it comes to finding contiguous space.
    Gistok, that's Detroit's edge. The buildings mentioned are great -- but frankly buildings are easy. Its land that's hard. [[And of course good people, but in our case there's land for them to live.)

Detroit's advantage is easy land. We probably don't see it that way -- having watched prices soar. But compared to everywhere else, we are cheap. And there's still a ton of under-utilized land.

In the 80s, Detroit managed to build a new GM assembly plant designed to sit in pastures.

Side notes... I think a lot of folks here are underestimating how much real estate will be needed. As to rapid transit... all we have to do it eliminate the governmental monopoly on transit -- and pave some serious bus lane and we have transit. Nice busses themselves are cheap. You can probably buy them on Amazon.

RE: Transit.

Are there any HOV [[high occupancy vehicle) lanes on any local freeway? [[the only freeway I use in Detroit is 94 and it doesn't have HOV lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by wesley mouch View Post
    side notes... I think a lot of folks here are underestimating how much real estate will be needed. As to rapid transit... All we have to do it eliminate the governmental monopoly on transit -- and pave some serious bus lane and we have transit. Nice busses themselves are cheap. You can probably buy them on amazon.
    ha! Hahahaha!!!! Hahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahha!!!!!

A take on Detroit's bid in today's Toronto Star:

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...-hq-wells.html

Further to the above, some suggestion that Toronto area tech CEOs aren't enthusiastic about the idea of Amazon moving in; primarily as they don't want a shortage of tech workers.

Worth adding is that the article states Ontario is graduating 40,000 tech workers a year. But apparently that pipeline is already insufficient for demand here, even without Amazon.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...beandmail.com&

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    RE: Transit.

Are there any HOV [[high occupancy vehicle) lanes on any local freeway? [[the only freeway I use in Detroit is 94 and it doesn't have HOV lanes.
    On the freeways? Not that I'm aware of.

The only one I know of is along parts of Michigan Avenue in SW Detroit.

The reason for that, I imagine, is because Detroit really doesn't have terrible traffic like most big cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    What Atlanta has going for it is a relatively high number of recent
    computer engineering graduates.
    It also has:

*MARTA [[for all of the hate some may have for it, it is the most well-run rapid transit system and has the highest rider count outside of DC, NYC, Boston, San Francisco and Chicago)

*Hartsfield-Jackson [[the economies of scale that Atlanta's airport flexes has been part of the reason so many HQs are based there and have relocated there)

*Low COL for a city of its size [[DC, in comparison, has gotten fairly expensive).

*A ton of undeveloped land on the South and Westside of the city to handle the huge influx of employees.

*Fiscally-healthy state & local governments.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-22-17 at 04:51 PM.

Here are the 2017 15 USA cities with the worst traffic congestion. On this list are many of the cities that some here thing have a better chance than Detroit. Missing from this list..... is Detroit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-ci...ave-worsened-1

Only people who've never driven in a big city outside of Michigan would complain about Detroit's traffic.

How much does Jeff Bezos want to drastically move the needle?

Is he interested in working closely with a American big 2 on autonomous delivery vehicles/transportation?

If the answers to the above are 'A Lot' than Detroit is right there in the thick of it. If it's 'Not so much' than the odds are longer.

Oh, I'll take these "problems" any day
    https://youtu.be/D_nV6y_GRLA

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    On the freeways? Not that I'm aware of.

The only one I know of is along parts of Michigan Avenue in SW Detroit.

The reason for that, I imagine, is because Detroit really doesn't have terrible traffic like most big cities.
    Indeed. Some cities have HOV lanes.

This is obviously to encourage car pooling. Also, it is great for buses. While cars struggle to move in traffic on freeways, buses can zip right along in express lanes.

That is one answer to those who feel, usually true, that buses are much slower than a car.

No Va. now has HOT [[toll) lanes for those who have either 3 passengers OR willing to pay a toll. And can be used by buses.

I'm surprised that nothing was done on 75 from Oakland to downtown... Do HOV lanes and run buses in those express lanes.
    Last edited by emu steve; September-22-17 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Same here..

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Indeed. Some cities have HOV lanes.

This is obviously to encourage car pooling. Also, it is great for buses. While cars struggle to move in traffic on freeways, buses can zip right along in express lanes.

That is one answer to those who feel, usually true, that buses are much slower than a car.

No Va. now has HOT [[toll) lanes for those who have either 3 passengers OR willing to pay a toll. And can be used by buses.

I'm surprised that nothing was done on 75 from Oakland to downtown... Do HOV lanes and run buses in those express lanes.
    Now that I think about it, I believe HOV lanes will be added as a part of the I-75 expansion plan.

Thanks. That was informative.

I was wondering why they wanted two headquarters. Apparently they've simply grown too big for one city. Is that correct?

Has any other company ever had two headquarters? I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

I was wondering why they wanted two headquarters. Apparently they've simply grown too big for one city. Is that correct?

Not formally.

Boeing sort of / kind of has a similar setup to what Amazon's doing though.

This is all heresy, so take it for what it's worth.

I just read something from an individual who recent ran into Gilbert at an event in NYC. While discussing the Amazon bid, he mentioned the reasons for pushing the Windsor / Canada connection [[which we all have already discussed quite a bit).

However, he did apparently mention something else that was interesting. Supposedly, he understands Amazon wants to work with the automakers to integrate the Alexa technology into vehicle.

Again, take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-22-17 at 06:20 PM.

To add, Shrinking Pains [[which is what Detroit has disproportionately suffered from since the 1970s) are far worse than Growing Pains, no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Sort of
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC-GM

They operate as seperate entities. Remember when GM was being bailed out in NA, SGM was booming.

I thought this article about the thirst for Amazon was hilarious! [[Detroit is included):

https://www.theringer.com/tech/2017/...rs-competition

That said, a very sage point is made within the article, which is why landing Amazon is so critical:

A fall in the number of economic development deals in recent years means mayors and governors have fewer opportunities to bolster their political standing with shiny new factories or corporate headquarters.

In regard to 313WX's question, I wonder if HQ2 has as much to do with Amazon's expansion out of retail as much as anything else. I'm looking as Amazon Web Services, which is something reletively new for them.

https://aws.amazon.com/

I have not seen a copy of Amazon's original proposal, but I wonder if expansion of services is part of the drive for the second headquarters.

The State of Michigan office building in Detroit known as Cadillac Place [[former GM HQ) has 1.4 million square feet. The 1998 signed 20 year lease expires next year, where the state can buy the building for $1. That is a magnificent building, and in great condition. The state could find offices elsewhere... sell it to Amazon for $1.

Peter Cushing's group which owns the Fisher and Albert Kahn Building.... could offer up [[sell/lease) the use of those 2 buildings... that plus Cadillac Place adds up to 2 million square ft. alone. Add in New Center One Building and future build space nearby, and Amazon could have an amazing campus... near the Amtrak Station, the Q-Line, and 3 freeways just blocks from the complex.

Who says Detroit can't be competitive? We may be a long shot at getting this.... but at least we can offer up some real competition... especially when it comes to finding contiguous space.
    I would put Amazon in the former Comerica Tower on Woodward and Larned. I would also put Amazon in the the former Comerica building on Lafayette or is that Fort. The Cadillac Place would be too expensive to renovate and costly to operate. The Cadillac building would make great lofts and middle to high end retail

One would hope that part of the decision making process for who gets the Amazon HQ2 would involve a visit by the decision makers to the cities. People who visit Detroit generally come away very impressed... due to their initial lowered expectations.

A freeway ride during rush hour wouldn't hurt either [[lack of gridlock).

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I thought this article about the thirst for Amazon was hilarious! [[Detroit is included):

https://www.theringer.com/tech/2017/...rs-competition

That said, a very sage point is made within the article, which is why landing Amazon is so critical:

A fall in the number of economic development deals in recent years means mayors and governors have fewer opportunities to bolster their political standing with shiny new factories or corporate headquarters.
    That was great!

I still can't believe Tucson tried to bribe them with a cactus.

Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast