Great post and analysis Bust. I hope we get you and your wife back here.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
...One rare occasion I found a possible match at Dan Gilbert's company. Except it wasn't a match. They were willing to pay only about half as much as what I was making in New York. Sure: lower cost of living, but come on! You're not going to attract talent to Detroit like that.

Amazon pays better. And if Amazon opened their 2nd headquarters in Detroit there suddenly would be good opportunities in Detroit for people with my skill set. Some may disagree, but I think overall we'd be good for Detroit....
One thing I found puzzling in Gilbert's enthusiasm for the Amazon bid was a "be careful what you wish for" quandary as his talent pool would likely have been raided by Amazon driving his costs up considerably.

Maybe he figured selling them office space and the consequent rise in value of his immense real estate portfolio would compensate for the sure-to-rise labor costs.

He had a bad week as along with the Amazon snub he also went to court to answer charges of selling junk loans back in the housing bubble days.