Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
I'd like to understand how they have spend $500M of the projected $1B budget already. They have acquired property, yes. Are they counting upgraded Customs plazas too? I would imagine all of the engineering, design, and construction work will be much more than $500M, not to mention the stipulation that they have to demolish the current bridge.

Either way, I think this is good. GH bridge is happening at this point and they aren't turning back. Another new bridge is going to create a lot of construction jobs for the area. Plus as others have said, the Ambassador is at the end of its useful lifespan. Yes, there are older bridges [[Brooklyn) but unfortunately the Ambassador was not maintained as well by Matty and Co. To me, this is a win: new GH bridge, new Ambassador bridge, Riverside park makeover and extension.

The best possible scenario is to have two new crossings. So Matty and crew getting their new bridge is fine... just as long as it doesn't stop the Gordie from also being built.

To me the biggest thing I would like to see at this point is that a permanent and dedicated pedestrian and bicycle "path" also get included with the new Ambassador bridge. If they charge a toll to use it, that is fine too. But given the closer proximity to downtown, and the growing number of pedestrians and bikes, it would be a real shame if you couldn't walk or bike to Canada and back across the new bridge.