Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Chases should be outlawed with exceptions for felony subjects. Once a chase begins, the fleeing driver tends to get scared [[or determined) and far more reckless/dangerous. Plus, instead of one speeding vehicle, you have two, three or ten or more in some cases.
    I agree that police should terminate a pursuit if it going to put third party road-users and pedestrians at risk... but will it make the escapee slow down and suddenly become a safe and sensible road-user once he sees the police disappearing into the background in the rear-view mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I agree that police should terminate a pursuit if it going to put third party road-users and pedestrians at risk... but will it make the escapee slow down and suddenly become a safe and sensible road-user once he sees the police disappearing into the background in the rear-view mirror?

It can, yes. In many [[not all) cases once a fleeing vehicle realizes they're no longer being pursued, they will slow to try and blend in with traffic so as not to attract attention again. They may even try to find a place to get off the road and stop to hide for a while. This can happen with a minor traffic offense, a DUI, or a hardened felon.

They may not have been driving dangerously to begin with either. A unit might run a plate while observing a vehicle stopped at a traffic light, or running normally with traffic. Plate comes back hot, blue lights go on and well ....

I've seen cases where a teen driver will commit a minor violation [[not signalling a lane change or turn for example) that doesn't put anyone else at risk. Unit signals for a traffic stop [[maybe not even planning on citing the driver) and the teen panics and takes off at high speed. No matter how it ends, the teen will be far worse off than with a citation.

When some people get panicked or stressed over things most of us think minor, they do odd things that they would never normally do.

It can, yes. In many [[not all) cases once a fleeing vehicle realizes they're no longer being pursued, they will slow to try and blend in with traffic so as not to attract attention again. They may even try to find a place to get off the road and stop to hide for a while. This can happen with a minor traffic offense, a DUI, or a hardened felon.

They may not have been driving dangerously to begin with either. A unit might run a plate while observing a vehicle stopped at a traffic light, or running normally with traffic. Plate comes back hot, blue lights go on and well ....

I've seen cases where a teen driver will commit a minor violation [[not signalling a lane change or turn for example) that doesn't put anyone else at risk. Unit signals for a traffic stop [[maybe not even planning on citing the driver) and the teen panics and takes off at high speed. No matter how it ends, the teen will be far worse off than with a citation.

When some people get panicked or stressed over things most of us think minor, they do odd things that they would never normally do.

I've seen pigs grow wings and disappear over the horizon.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-27-17 at 05:23 AM.

I stay clear of YT and the 'Hey lookit this!!! And hold m' beer' crowd.
    They are starting to delete that type of vids there,the guy that was doing the public jump out and scare thing was pulling in $100 k a month in revenue,they shut him down.

It just leads to a race of who can win the Darwin of the century award.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Eventually, yes. Do you think the fleeing car just keeps fleeing until it runs out of gas?

DPD only pursues for felony offenses. MSP, after this incident, has now adopted the same policy for Detroit: NO high-speed pursuits for petty traffic offenses or misdemeanor offenses. As long as the car isn't stolen, the cops will be able to track the driver down later. It's not worth getting people killed over a misdemeanor traffic offense.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6