Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Why did I bring up Vincent Chin? Do you really not see the ramifications of saying an entire ethnic group of Americans "doesn't care about American workers".? As for Trump, I was making the obvious point that he and his spawn could stand behind "made in America" by making their own products here. Just as he could support American workers at his properties by utilizing fewer H-2B visas
    You will have to reread what I wrote in its entirety. I did not say "an entire ethnic group of Americans "doesn't care about American workers". The full sentence you chose to edit to fit your narrative was, "As much as I respect Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics, they seem as unconcerned about fellow Americans' welfare when buying cars as Democrats." Notice the qualifying observation "seem to" which is different than absolutist "doesn't care" which you incorrectly claim I wrote. I suspect that you are intelligent enough to spot the difference but chose to lie to push your narrative. A second qualifier you chose to ignore was "when buying cars". Within the same sentence, there was a third qualifier you chose to ignore concerning the merits of Asian Americans and it was within that context of admiration that I wondered why Asian Americans tended not to buy US built cars. I still don't know the answer. I did offer a reason for buying foreign cars that benefits the Democratic Party. Being caught up in a PC culture as you seem to be, must be like being very religious and not wondering or questioning one's own personal observations. I would uncomfortable in your situation. Besides, calling out everyone for being racist for even noticing things or sticking their head out just a little produces the same results as calling 'wolf' too many times. By the way, half of my grandchildren are half East Asian. I have been to Asia with them within the context of family ties. Start thinking about where you can stick your smug arrogant lectures about Asian Americans while I remain free to wonder and question and enjoy having Asian American family members.
    Last edited by oladub; August-12-17 at 11:12 PM.

People are beginning to realize that America is simply NOT the best at everything.

It has, and will continue to be beat, by other industrialized nations, on a wide variety of products.

We need higher standards in education, not lower them. Some kids deserve to be flunked, held back, not continue.
    Being smart is an asset, not something to be made fun of. Strip the sports out, focus on being number one again on brain power, innovations, creativity, and industry. The world doesn't care about NFL scores.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    People are beginning to realize that America is simply NOT the best at everything.

It has, and will continue to be beat, by other industrialized nations, on a wide variety of products.

We need higher standards in education, not lower them. Some kids deserve to be flunked, held back, not continue.
    Being smart is an asset, not something to be made fun of. Strip the sports out, focus on being number one again on brain power, innovations, creativity, and industry. The world doesn't care about NFL scores.
    Total agree that we need to change some priorities but let me just say this. In my industry [[Automotive R&D), we have the innovative spirit and hunger to compete like no other nation. If it can be done, this is the place to do it. I know this because I spent a lot of time living and travelled the world looking for the right place to settle.

I'm generalizing here but from what I've seen and experienced, Europe has the brains and education but too conservative and too hierarchy driven. Asia and India have the resources and working spirit but lack the creativity. Australia has the creativity but lacks confidence, initiative and encouragement [[tall poppy syndrome ).

The US is by far the perfect fit in my field. More specifically, Metro Detroit provides access to talent and resources not seen anywhere else. Here, challengers are not obstacles but opportunities and for this reason, the technologies we develop in such short time frames and so efficiently front run our competition by years.

I often ask myself why. What makes the US so advanced? The answer that satisfies me the most is that the US still embraces the entrepreneurial spirit. It is somehow engrained into our subconscious without us even knowing it whether it's through pop culture, our consumer driven economy, movies, 20 something tech billionaires or even late night infomercials selling stuff you can't believe anyone buys. This may provide the competitive edge and lust for success and independence over security and welfare that cannot be taught and I think it's here to stay. I believe we're going to be leading the world for a very long time.

Sammy, I think your sentiment is lovely, but not well-founded.

Its not that there isn't an innovation culture; its that where it matters, it faulters where the profit motive isn't obvious.

I'll provide an example. Americans invented the rear-view camera for cars...... in 1956, they appeared on a concept car, the Buick Centurion.

Yet they wouldn't appear as a standard feature until 1991......on a Toyota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup...a#Introduction

Innovation w/o caring about the customer is a fail.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I only buy GM and Ford products made in the US although my wife has a Tesla Model 3 on order - also made in the US. I realize that Toyota has a great reputation but no one ever argues that the Manhattan tribe made a good deal paying a premium for higher grade European beads. The premium was and is too high with the cost of unemployed Americans who have to be added to tax rolls often forgotten in the equation.
    Don't break a wrist patting yourself on the back too hard. Which car creates more American jobs: that Ford you are driving that has 30% domestic parts and was made in Mexico or the Toyota your "Asian" neighbor is driving that was made in Kentucky with 75% American parts?
    Last edited by aj3647; August-17-17 at 09:55 AM.

A startup in Pontiac making 100% American apparel. Perhaps they can give Donald and Ivanka some business tips on how to do this.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...utdoor-apparel

With automation, no one gets an advantage. In fact, the best integration houses reside in the most costly countries such as US, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and Canada. Material costs are globally priced commodities and so are robots, CNC's, laser welders, PCB SMT's etc.

This is how reshoring looks like. May not employ a ton of workers but at least the technology stays here.

We have people idiotic enough to buy Pet Rocks and Fidget spinners.
    -- That explains a lot about the USA

The USA has awoken and realized its a WORLD economy - not - just the one between Pacific and Atlantic oceans, with Canada to north and Mexico to south.

We are essentially a damn island.
    The sooner we realize that, the better.
    Stop the idiocy of slogans long extinct.

Read post number 1 again.
    Cost of product rules supreme.
    You are wrong. Your arrogance won't allow you to see the truth but time will turn you from cynical self interest to a more enlightened perspective.

We're such a loathsome people indeed. Hah!! ----

We have people idiotic enough to buy Pet Rocks and Fidget spinners.
    -- That explains a lot about the USA

Do tell Gnome, oh enlightened inteliigent one

^^^ Hah! Well we do like our gadgets of distraction. I do to, but have not purchased fidget spinner! ---- Maybe I will for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Don't break a wrist patting yourself on the back too hard. Which car creates more American jobs: that Ford you are driving that has 30% domestic parts and was made in Mexico or the Toyota your "Asian" neighbor is driving that was made in Kentucky with 75% American parts?

I already mentioned "foreign content" in the last sentence of my post #13: "Buying foreign cars, or more correctly, foreign content is one of the more politically regressive personal things someone can do." and in the first sentence of my post #17: "US content has more to do with US jobs than make." Sorry aj, but you weren't clever mentioning content. You were just late for the party.

I already mentioned "foreign content" in the last sentence of my post #13: "Buying foreign cars, or more correctly, foreign content is one of the more politically regressive personal things someone can do." and in the first sentence of my post #17: "US content has more to do with US jobs than make." Sorry aj, but you weren't clever mentioning content. You were just late for the party.
    You didn't specify that you purchased cars made with "American content", now did you? You said you buy Ford and GM cars "made" in the U.S. without explaining to what extent you take parts origin into account. If I'm wrong, then feel free to tell me the year, make, and model of the "American" car you're driving and I'll tell you what percentage of it is actually American and we'll see if you actually do put your money where your mouth is.

You also left off the "however..." part of your post. You know, the part where you go into great detail about why we shouldn't buy foreign brand cars that are made in the U.S. with a larger percentage of U.S. made parts, using such unbelievably ridiculous arguments as "Japanese companies have glass ceilings for women."

However, how many Japanese assembly lines in the US are union and are helping pay down long term US auto industry pension legacies? One I'm not too concerned about is what percentage of minorities are employed by, for instance, a Japanese assembly plant in Kentucky vs. a Ford assembly plant in SE Michigan but I would think this would be an issue liberals should consider. Also, foreign assembly plants in the US have foreign headquarters where, if Asian, there might be a glass ceiling in management for women. That's what you support with your dollars when [[impersonal) you buy foreign content or from an Asian company. As Jamez pointed out, the profits go abroad too.
    BTW, you seem to have a rather unusual ethnic fixation on Asian people and making broad stereotypes about them. Did an Asian guy steal your girlfriend and you're holding a grudge?

The people who claim to care the most about "Buy American" have elected a businessman that does the exact opposite. It's a slogan. Even the most patriotic group of people are Walmart shoppers.

You didn't specify that you purchased cars made with "American content", now did you? You said you buy Ford and GM cars "made" in the U.S. without explaining to what extent you take parts origin into account. If I'm wrong, then feel free to tell me the year, make, and model of the "American" car you're driving and I'll tell you what percentage of it is actually American and we'll see if you actually do put your money where your mouth is.

You also left off the "however..." part of your post. You know, the part where you go into great detail about why we shouldn't buy foreign brand cars that are made in the U.S. with a larger percentage of U.S. made parts, using such unbelievably ridiculous arguments as "Japanese companies have glass ceilings for women."

BTW, you seem to have a rather unusual ethnic fixation on Asian people and making broad stereotypes about them. Did an Asian guy steal your girlfriend and you're holding a grudge?
    aj, You lost this one. I already cited two sentences in which I mentioned content prior to your lame post. Thanks for getting even lamer by speculating about my love life. You are one classy poster. You do better as a defender of deep state crap. This isn't just about employing US factory workers. Buying foreign make [[content) cars is anti union, supports glass ceilings for women if an Asian company, and runs profits out of the US. You missed those last three points. That's why buying foreign makes [[content) is one of the most personally regressive things one can do. I really don't understand why Democrats/liberals don't consider the results of their actions when purchasing foreign make/content cars.

^ because for some it is all about them,they are not bothered about the rest of the country.

I just bought a set of mower blades,made in America [[Canton Michigan) for the same price as the cheap made in China ones,the quality is far superior.

There are links and lists easily searched on the internet for finding real made in America products,it is only a dead slogan if one does not support it.

aj, You lost this one. I already cited two sentences in which I mentioned content prior to your lame post. Thanks for getting even lamer by speculating about my love life. You are one classy poster. You do better as a defender of deep state crap. This isn't just about employing US factory workers. Buying foreign make [[content) cars is anti union, supports glass ceilings for women if an Asian company, and runs profits out of the US. You missed those last three points. That's why buying foreign makes [[content) is one of the most personally regressive things one can do. I really don't understand why Democrats/liberals don't consider the results of their actions when purchasing foreign make/content cars.
    Boo hoo, a racist on the internet doesn't like me, that really hurts my feelings.

BTW, I forgot how glass ceilings don't exist at American companies, only at Asian companies. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure that's based on sound evidence and not on your bullshit racist opinions about Asian people.

Boo hoo, a racist on the internet doesn't like me, that really hurts my feelings.

BTW, I forgot how glass ceilings don't exist at American companies, only at Asian companies. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure that's based on sound evidence and not on your bullshit racist opinions about Asian people.
    Resorting to calling people 'racists' or 'nazis' is one more confirmation that someone has lost an argument and has nothing better to come up with. Thank you for the confirmation. The fact remains that you tried to bring 'content' into the conversation long after it had been discussed as being more important than make.

The CEO of GM is a woman. Which Japanese or Korean auto company has a female CEO? Toyota never had a woman an its board until 2015. Buying Asian brand vehicles supports a glass ceiling.
    Honda, Kia, Nissan, Toyota called out for lack of women in leadership roles

As to my "racist opinions about Asian people", here is exactly what I wrote. "Why is it, by the way, that almost every Asian-American drives an Asian name tag car? As much as I respect Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics, they seem as unconcerned about fellow Americans' welfare when buying cars as Democrats. At least Democrats benefit by creating needy classes who vote Democrat, as in Flint, but what do Asian-Americans get out of depressing US workers?" [[post#11), "I guess I'm guilty of racial stereotyping if I credited "Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics." but they deserved those kudos. I forgot to mention their low crime rates." [[post#13). To characterize five very positive things I wrote about Asian Americans and an observation about Asian American auto purchases as "racist" is idiotic. In posts#23 and 26, I went through this with Detroiter on the West Coast when his arguments lapsed into PC drivel. So just like when you were late for the party about 'content', you are late for the party with PC distractions. maybe you should just stick to imagining about my sex life [[post#39).

Resorting to calling people 'racists' or 'nazis' is one more confirmation that someone has lost an argument and has nothing better to come up with.
    No, sometimes people truly are bigots, and deserve to be called out.

Not saying you specifically are, but, if anything, people are too timid to call things out as they actually are. People with extreme enmity towards foreigners are, more than likely, bigots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2