Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I only buy GM and Ford products made in the US although my wife has a Tesla Model 3 on order - also made in the US. I realize that Toyota has a great reputation but no one ever argues that the Manhattan tribe made a good deal paying a premium for higher grade European beads. The premium was and is too high with the cost of unemployed Americans who have to be added to tax rolls often forgotten in the equation. We have a great trade agreement with Canada allowing an equal number or value, I forget which, of vehicles to be sold in each direction duty free. That would be a desirable agreement to have with other nations. Why is it, by the way, that almost every Asian-American drives an Asian name tag car? As much as I respect Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics, they seem as unconcerned about fellow Americans' welfare when buying cars as Democrats. At least Democrats benefit by creating needy classes who vote Democrat, as in Flint, but what do Asian-Americans get out of depressing US workers?
    . I guess my flag waving Trump loving GOP neighbors didn't get memo that conservatives and conservatives only care about US workers when they bought their Lexus and Acura. Guess I made a mistake with my Buick too. I'd also suggest that you stay out of the Tesla or people will think you believe that climate change is real. Great bit of racial stereotyping though with the Asian comments. Now it's time for me to continue my search for made in the USA Trump branded products.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-29-17 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    . I guess my flag waving Trump loving GOP neighbors didn't get memo that conservatives and conservatives only care about US workers when they bought their Lexus and Acura. Guess I made a mistake with my Buick too. I'd also suggest that you stay out of the Tesla or people will think you believe that climate change is real. Great bit of racial stereotyping though with the Asian comments. Now it's time for me to continue my search for made in the USA Trump branded products.
    I don't know how much this has changed since 2005 but "buyers of American cars tend to be Republican -- except, for some reason, those who buy Pontiacs, who tend to be Democrats. Foreign-brand compact cars are usually bought by Democrats -- but not Mini Coopers, which are bought by almost equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans. And Volvos may not actually represent quite what you think." -NY Times

I guess I'm guilty of racial stereotyping if I credited
    "Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics." but they deserved those kudos. I forgot to mention their low crime rates. I feel sorry for people who are culturally incapable or afraid to point out the obvious.

I used to live in a house shared by an aunt and uncle who worked for Hudson Motors and then Dodge. When we had recessions in Detroit, he sometimes was without a job for months. He would go to the unemployment office early before the line wrapped around the block. That was before Congress reduced tariffs on Asian cars to spur the Japanese and Korean economies to pump them up as our allies. Nevermind what it did to auto workers and their communities. It worked though. Americans started buying Asian cars. US auto factories closed. Flint and Detroit died. It wasn't just the politicians who hurt US auto workers, their families, and their communities, It was everyone who betrayed US workers buying foreign cars. It happened that Democrats are statistically more likely to buy foreign cars than Republicans. African-Americans have largely replaced Polish factory workers to the extent there are still auto assembly jobs. Buying foreign cars, or more correctly, foreign content is one of the more politically regressive personal things someone can do.

Even if you want to “buy American,” an “American” car isn’t what it used to be. A Lincoln MKZ is 26 percent U.S./Canada content and it is built in Mexico. The most popular passenger car in America is the Toyota Camry, which is assembled Georgetown, KY and Lafayette, IN and is 75 percent U.S./Canadian content. A Honda Accord is 70 percent U.S./Canadian content and the Accord is assembled in Marysville, OH. Here's a shot of the Accord's window sticker:

Name:  20170116_074347.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  126.4 KB

BTW, General Motors is planning to build Buicks in China and ship them to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    ...A Honda Accord is 70 percent U.S./Canadian content and the Accord is assembled in Marysville, OH....
    That's a reliable car too. A recent article ranked it number five in "Americaness." They said the only reason it didn't rank higher is that the profits go to Japan. Ford F150 ranked highest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Even if you want to “buy American,” an “American” car isn’t what it used to be. A Lincoln MKZ is 26 percent U.S./Canada content and it is built in Mexico. The most popular passenger car in America is the Toyota Camry, which is assembled Georgetown, KY and Lafayette, IN and is 75 percent U.S./Canadian content. A Honda Accord is 70 percent U.S./Canadian content and the Accord is assembled in Marysville, OH. Here's a shot of the Accord's window sticker,
    BTW, General Motors is planning to build Buicks in China and ship them to the U.S.
    Agreed, US content has more to do with US jobs than make. However, how many Japanese assembly lines in the US are union and are helping pay down long term US auto industry pension legacies? One I'm not too concerned about is what percentage of minorities are employed by, for instance, a Japanese assembly plant in Kentucky vs. a Ford assembly plant in SE Michigan but I would think this would be an issue liberals should consider. Also, foreign assembly plants in the US have foreign headquarters where, if Asian, there might be a glass ceiling in management for women. That's what you support with your dollars when [[impersonal) you buy foreign content or from an Asian company. As Jamez pointed out, the profits go abroad too.

You correctly mentioned that foreign companies assembling cars in the US sometimes do use more US content than US name tag cars assembled in the US. That does somewhat offset foreign management and profits. As for Buick importing Chinese cars taxpayers after Obama helped bail out GM, its a slap in the face to US taxpayers. I'd suggest an import tax on any Chinese built car above and beyond the number of US made cars that are sold to China.
    Last edited by oladub; July-30-17 at 08:15 PM.

I don't know how much this has changed since 2005 but "buyers of American cars tend to be Republican -- except, for some reason, those who buy Pontiacs, who tend to be Democrats. Foreign-brand compact cars are usually bought by Democrats -- but not Mini Coopers, which are bought by almost equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans. And Volvos may not actually represent quite what you think." -NY Times

I guess I'm guilty of racial stereotyping if I credited
    "Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics." but they deserved those kudos. I forgot to mention their low crime rates. I feel sorry for people who are culturally incapable or afraid to point out the obvious.

I used to live in a house shared by an aunt and uncle who worked for Hudson Motors and then Dodge. When we had recessions in Detroit, he sometimes was without a job for months. He would go to the unemployment office early before the line wrapped around the block. That was before Congress reduced tariffs on Asian cars to spur the Japanese and Korean economies to pump them up as our allies. Nevermind what it did to auto workers and their communities. It worked though. Americans started buying Asian cars. US auto factories closed. Flint and Detroit died. It wasn't just the politicians who hurt US auto workers, their families, and their communities, It was everyone who betrayed US workers buying foreign cars. It happened that Democrats are statistically more likely to buy foreign cars than Republicans. African-Americans have largely replaced Polish factory workers to the extent there are still auto assembly jobs. Buying foreign cars, or more correctly, foreign content is one of the more politically regressive personal things someone can do.
    I note that you omitted your prior comment about Asian Americans being " as unconcerned about American workers as Democrats....". Perhaps you should think about Vincent Chin before making some of your assinine comments. Btw, I'm still looking for those domestic Trump goods.....
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; August-11-17 at 11:39 AM.

I note that you omitted your prior comment about Asian Americans being " as unconcerned about American workers as Democrats....". Perhaps you should think about Vincent Chin before making some of your assinine comments. Btw, I'm still looking for those domestic Trump goods.....
    My previous quote, in full, pertaining to Asian-Americans buying foreign cars: "Why is it, by the way, that almost every Asian-American drives an Asian name tag car? As much as I respect Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics, they seem as unconcerned about fellow Americans' welfare when buying cars as Democrats. At least Democrats benefit by creating needy classes who vote Democrat, as in Flint, but what do Asian-Americans get out of depressing US workers?"

Notice the word "respect" that I used to generalize Asian-Americans and I provided reasons for that respect. I suppose that in your PC world I committed a micro-agression by noting my observation that most Asian-Americans drive foreign cars. That's an observation. Observations are a foundation of facts and science adverse as you might be to acknowledging reality when it contradicts your PC narrative. I also wonder about things I notice since I don't have any PC rules to constrain my thoughts. Maybe Asian-Americans tend to buy foreign cars because they also tend to vote for Democrats. It could be as simple as that. I don't know but am still curious. No apologies here. As mentioned, I respect Asian Americans. I don't respect PC perspectives.

I'm not sure why you brought up Vincent Chin. Are you suggesting that Asian-Americans tend not to buy GM and Ford cars because a Chrysler employee killed Vincent Chin 19 years ago?

Regarding your mention of Trump: A 15% import tax on foreign cars may be what Trump talked about but trade policy is supposed to be determined by Congress. Even if Trump worked out a treaty, the Senate would still have to approve it according to the Constitution.

My previous quote, in full, pertaining to Asian-Americans buying foreign cars: "Why is it, by the way, that almost every Asian-American drives an Asian name tag car? As much as I respect Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics, they seem as unconcerned about fellow Americans' welfare when buying cars as Democrats. At least Democrats benefit by creating needy classes who vote Democrat, as in Flint, but what do Asian-Americans get out of depressing US workers?"

Notice the word "respect" that I used to generalize Asian-Americans and I provided reasons for that respect. I suppose that in your PC world I committed a micro-agression by noting my observation that most Asian-Americans drive foreign cars. That's an observation. Observations are a foundation of facts and science adverse as you might be to acknowledging reality when it contradicts your PC narrative. I also wonder about things I notice since I don't have any PC rules to constrain my thoughts. Maybe Asian-Americans tend to buy foreign cars because they also tend to vote for Democrats. It could be as simple as that. I don't know but am still curious. No apologies here. As mentioned, I respect Asian Americans. I don't respect PC perspectives.

I'm not sure why you brought up Vincent Chin. Are you suggesting that Asian-Americans tend not to buy GM and Ford cars because a Chrysler employee killed Vincent Chin 19 years ago?

Regarding your mention of Trump: A 15% import tax on foreign cars may be what Trump talked about but trade policy is supposed to be determined by Congress. Even if Trump worked out a treaty, the Senate would still have to approve it according to the Constitution.
    Why did I bring up Vincent Chin? Do you really not see the ramifications of saying an entire ethnic group of Americans "doesn't care about American workers".? As for Trump, I was making the obvious point that he and his spawn could stand behind "made in America" by making their own products here. Just as he could support American workers at his properties by utilizing fewer H-2B visas
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; August-12-17 at 11:08 AM.

Why did I bring up Vincent Chin? Do you really not see the ramifications of saying an entire ethnic group of Americans "doesn't care about American workers".? As for Trump, I was making the obvious point that he and his spawn could stand behind "made in America" by making their own products here. Just as he could support American workers at his properties by utilizing fewer H-2B visas
    You will have to reread what I wrote in its entirety. I did not say "an entire ethnic group of Americans "doesn't care about American workers". The full sentence you chose to edit to fit your narrative was, "As much as I respect Asian Americans for their hard work, achievements, family stability, and other statistics, they seem as unconcerned about fellow Americans' welfare when buying cars as Democrats." Notice the qualifying observation "seem to" which is different than absolutist "doesn't care" which you incorrectly claim I wrote. I suspect that you are intelligent enough to spot the difference but chose to lie to push your narrative. A second qualifier you chose to ignore was "when buying cars". Within the same sentence, there was a third qualifier you chose to ignore concerning the merits of Asian Americans and it was within that context of admiration that I wondered why Asian Americans tended not to buy US built cars. I still don't know the answer. I did offer a reason for buying foreign cars that benefits the Democratic Party. Being caught up in a PC culture as you seem to be, must be like being very religious and not wondering or questioning one's own personal observations. I would uncomfortable in your situation. Besides, calling out everyone for being racist for even noticing things or sticking their head out just a little produces the same results as calling 'wolf' too many times. By the way, half of my grandchildren are half East Asian. I have been to Asia with them within the context of family ties. Start thinking about where you can stick your smug arrogant lectures about Asian Americans while I remain free to wonder and question and enjoy having Asian American family members.
    Last edited by oladub; August-12-17 at 11:12 PM.

I only buy GM and Ford products made in the US although my wife has a Tesla Model 3 on order - also made in the US. I realize that Toyota has a great reputation but no one ever argues that the Manhattan tribe made a good deal paying a premium for higher grade European beads. The premium was and is too high with the cost of unemployed Americans who have to be added to tax rolls often forgotten in the equation.
    Don't break a wrist patting yourself on the back too hard. Which car creates more American jobs: that Ford you are driving that has 30% domestic parts and was made in Mexico or the Toyota your "Asian" neighbor is driving that was made in Kentucky with 75% American parts?
    Last edited by aj3647; August-17-17 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Don't break a wrist patting yourself on the back too hard. Which car creates more American jobs: that Ford you are driving that has 30% domestic parts and was made in Mexico or the Toyota your "Asian" neighbor is driving that was made in Kentucky with 75% American parts?

I already mentioned "foreign content" in the last sentence of my post #13: "Buying foreign cars, or more correctly, foreign content is one of the more politically regressive personal things someone can do." and in the first sentence of my post #17: "US content has more to do with US jobs than make." Sorry aj, but you weren't clever mentioning content. You were just late for the party.