Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's on Dix, just past the Detroit line, across from the end of Patton Park...

I agree about Como's...pizza decent, everything else I've tried on the menu is borderline dusmal and the service isn't much better

bumble said:I used to wait tables at Como's and no offense to trotwood, but I'd skip it. Como's is good for overpriced pizza, festive atmosphere and drinks, but I always felt that the rest of the food was pretty appalling.

No offensive taken. It's not as if I own a piece of Como's. When I visited I found the food to be pretty good and reasonably priced.You're right the place has[[had) a very festive atmosphere. I was always treated very well by the staff and the owner[[Cecile?)
    Last edited by trotwood; August-26-09 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    If I eat Lasagna with Italian sausage, those fennel seeds will make me burp for a week. Make some without fennel, or use ground round, and I'm your friend for life.
    Never heard of fennel seeds affecting anyone like this. Those of us with Italian genetics must be immune.

Roma.

Definitely NOT Mario's.

Yes, Cecelia I believe. Quite a colorful character. She's a very dedicated proprietress. Back then, she was always there, 365 days of the year. I've worked in many restaurants and to see that was unusual.

I like this type of thread. Don't get out so much anymore, and the advice is helpful. I agree with the Luigi's suggestion, but haven't been there in a couple of years.
    The absolute best lasagna in Detroit was probably served in someone's basement kitchen, on the east side, by a first generation Italian American grandma, back in the sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    The absolute best lasagna in Detroit was probably served in someone's basement kitchen, on the east side, by a first generation Italian American grandma, back in the sixties.
    You're right on target. Now that's the lasagna I'm talkin' about! LOL

"The absolute best lasagna in Detroit was probably served in someone's basement kitchen, on the east side, by a first generation Italian American grandma, back in the sixties."

i'm with erie! i'm a second generation italian eastsider and you hit the nail on the head bob sunday evening down grandma's basement with the "long" tables and the vintage tableclothes. delish! then watch the ed sullivan show...good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    i'm a second generation italian eastsider and you hit the nail on the head bob sunday evening down grandma's basement with the "long" tables and the vintage tableclothes. delish! then watch the ed sullivan show...good memories.
    Maof - I think we must have sat at the same table a couple dozen times!

LodgeDodger Guest

"The absolute best lasagna in Detroit was probably served in someone's basement kitchen, on the east side, by a first generation Italian American grandma, back in the sixties."

i'm with erie! i'm a second generation italian eastsider and you hit the nail on the head bob sunday evening down grandma's basement with the "long" tables and the vintage tableclothes. delish! then watch the ed sullivan show...good memories.
    I learned to make lasagna from that very woman. I've just improved on it over the years...

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Maof - I think we must have sat at the same table a couple dozen times!
    I think LodgeDodger was there too!

LodgeDodger Guest

I think LodgeDodger was there too!
    I was always the one stuck doing the dishes after all you free-loaders left!

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Oh, so you were the one at the sink with soap suds up to your elbows!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Oh, so you were the one at the sink with soap suds up to your elbows!
    That was me--the one with dish pan hands.

That was me--the one with dish pan hands.
    AND elbows! Ha!

This thread got me to thinking...now there's Picano's in Troy on Rochester Road. I've never had their lasagna, but their gnocchi is excellent. Homemade. Very soft little pillows of dough. The portion is large enough that you have to take some home for later!

Have not been there in quite some time. Now I'm craving their gnocchi. But I'll have hubby order lasagna, try it, and report back! - Yay! Excuse for dinner out!

I like Ferlito's on Mack in GP Woods. It is a very straightforward meat lasagna, a bit salty, and very good.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    yeah totally, vegetables aren't real at all! shut your mouth you stupid hippy!

the best lasagna in detroit is served in my dining room.
    pesto asparagus lasagna that my girlfriend makes with market fresh basil, asparagus and her own fresh handmade noodles
    You'd better marry that girl.

i wasn't big enough to reach the sink!

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
    Yes, Cecelia I believe. Quite a colorful character. She's a very dedicated proprietress. Back then, she was always there, 365 days of the year. I've worked in many restaurants and to see that was unusual.
    Along with the food,she's what kept me going back time and time again. Cecelia always made me feel very welcomed and at home in her restaurant. Is she still there?
    All this posting about Como's has me homesick lol.
    I'm going to have to pop in soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2