Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

What does the Q line do that a bus couldn't do? What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    What does the Q line do that a bus couldn't do? What am I missing?
    That is more easily answered by asking what a bus can do that that Qline can't do. Like driving around a broken down car in its path.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    That is more easily answered by asking what a bus can do that that Qline can't do. Like driving around a broken down car in its path.
    I'd add to that;
    -Extra buses can be added during peak times easily.

-Buses can deviate past the a hospital, new mall, etc if there is demand.

-Buses cost about 1/10th per passenger mile v.s light rail.

-Can use any replacement bus from any company, even used buses from other places, instead of having to buy new rail cars from the one company that custom made the current rail cars.

-Stops can be added anywhere just by installing a sign.

-A broken down bus doesn't stop the entire system. Other buses can simply drive around the broken one.

- Buses don't eliminate street parking [[and hence crush business) like rail does when it's in the right-hand most lane [[like in some parts of the Q-Line)

-

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    I'd add to that;
    -Extra buses can be added during peak times easily.

-Buses can deviate past the a hospital, new mall, etc if there is demand.

-Buses cost about 1/10th per passenger mile v.s light rail.

-Can use any replacement bus from any company, even used buses from other places, instead of having to buy new rail cars from the one company that custom made the current rail cars.

-Stops can be added anywhere just by installing a sign.

-A broken down bus doesn't stop the entire system. Other buses can simply drive around the broken one.

- Buses don't eliminate street parking [[and hence crush business) like rail does when it's in the right-hand most lane [[like in some parts of the Q-Line)

-
    What I never hear mentioned about the cost of LRT versus bus service are the costs that go into having mechanics repairing busses compared to no mechanics needed for rail. One of the constant complaints of busses is that they break down requiring mechanics to repair them. When comparing LRT and Bus costs, are the mechanics salaries, their healthcare costs and their pensions included in the equation?