Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Exactly.
    When people are desperate for change, they'll take *any* type of change.
    Who's "desperate?" What is this, the Great Depression? Are you trying to argue that things are so apocalyptically bad in Michigan right now that we have no choice but to "nuke the system" by electing someone like Kid Rock to the Senate?

True. That seemed to work out very well for Rep. Jon Ossoff, President Hillary Clinton and the Supermajority the Democrats have had in Congress since 2008, didn't it...

...Oh wait...!?
    What does that red herring have to do with anything? If we're going to toss that kind of crap out, how's that Obamacare repeal coming along? Swimmingly? "We're going to repeal it on Day One, it's the first thing we're going to do..." I'm sure that Mexican-funded wall is going to go up any day now too.

... When people are desperate for change, they'll take *any* type of change.
    ...snip...
    This does seem to be true.

I would spin this a little bit, however. I don't think it was just any change. The public has some specific ideas.

The 'Democratic party fake news' idea that alliterative income inequality is our biggest social problem bit them in the butt. For example, the broad public now mistakenly thinks that free trade harms them. [[Although I'll grant that the gains of trade are not evenly distributed.) The political center of the country also craves respect from the left. Gay marriage has achieved respect in most people, but transgender bathroom rights is too much, too soon.

My point isn't about those political ideas. They don't agree with Trump on everything, or even very much. But they believe that Trump [[and Sanders too) are sincere. And that they have principles.

Schwartenegger, Franken brought that sincerity. Kid Rock could also be perceived as sincere. He might do well.

The demand for sincerity is a political change that is needed and productive. [[If San Francisco doesn't get nuked first.)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; August-10-17 at 12:33 PM.

If a town where nearly 50% of the population is functionally illiterate was able to successfully write-in the current mayor, I'm pretty sure voters across the state would be able to recognize and choose Kid Rock on a ballot.
    I get it:

Stabenow [[D) - 40%.

Robert Ritchie [[R) - 30%.

Kid Rock [[write in) 30%.

Just messing with you and Kid Rock. Stabenow is smiling though...

I hate to stereotype and group all people together, but the rhetoric from the right after Obama was elected is too hard to ignore... people wanting to get rid of the black guy seemed to be a very large motivating factor.

I share more conservative principles than I do liberal ones, and I will admit, the right is no longer "conservative" in the historic use of the term [[economy, government), as evidenced by electing Trump.

As someone who has never cared for Trump, even when I was a child I saw him as a living parody... I am still annoyed with the fact that this is a person which no HR at any company would have hired, yet is our President?

And even if you could accept that this man was qualified to be President, he was supposed to be a man of the people? He is supposed to be anti-elite? How? Why? What makes him not a NY elite compared to anyone else? His vocabulary [[or lack there of)?

The policies that are being supported by him are no different that recent ones [[deregulation, Obamacare, taxes) driven by Ryan/McConnell in the past... what made Trump stand out against any of the others running?

In my opinion [[which I understand carries no value or influence) was that Trump grabbed onto the Frankenstein's Monster that the Right build during the Obama years [[and to a lesser extent the Clinton years)... he race baited and used people's xenophobia more than any other candidate had in recent memory. He was blatently racist, said multiple and frequeant racist things... on top of the sexist things as well... and those people ate it up, we can keep telling ourselves that it was the economy that did this... but it was racism.

Not everyone who voted for Trump is a racist. Some I believe voted along party lines, other bought the anti-Clinton media strategy, some were very angry that rural opportunities are drying up... but to ignore the racist rhetoric and to ignore his past discretions while highlighting those of others, it is inexcusable.

Remember Martha Reeves? Her political ambition was part time, her singing career, her full time. Why would Kid Rock be any different?

I don't think there is any chance whatsoever that Kid Rock is running for the US Senate. He is merely doing one or both of the following: venting his real anger at the political system; seeking headlines in advance of a new album and tour dates. The Republican nominee will be Robert Young, and he will be a tough foe for Stabenow.

Robert James Ritchie = Kid Rock, has the leader of a GOP Super PAC backing his potential bid in 2018.

Senator Kid Rock 2018
    President Geoffrey Fieger 2020

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...run/ar-AApTgil

Fieger’s commercials – which are standard tv time viewing – have somewhat changed. Yesterday, his commercial took on a more political tone. He wasn’t selling his law firm, but rather an ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Who's "desperate?" What is this, the Great Depression? Are you trying to argue that things are so apocalyptically bad in Michigan right now that we have no choice but to "nuke the system" by electing someone like Kid Rock to the Senate?
    I'm glad things are all sunshine and puppies in your head, but the reality is a significant portion of the country, at least economically, is hurting really badly today.

Michigan specifically is a basket case, no ifs /ands / buts about it. Just to name a few things, you have the largest school district in the state in which the kids are forced to attend mold-infested schools on a daily basis, an entire mid-sized city drinking poisoned water, basic infrastructure such as roadways and drainage lines that haven't been repaired and upgraded in [[some cases) several decades and numerous people who are stuck working in low wage / temp jobs after their stable / good-paying jobs were wiped out during Autopocalypse.

Nationwide, you have income inequality levels that haven't been seen since the Great Depression, a record number of people who must depend on some form of government assistance to make ends meet, health care and education costs that have reached unprecedented levels, etc.

These things obviously weren't improving with the status quo and their idea of "incrementalism" or third way politics, thus you had / have candidates such as Bernie Sanders, Kid Rock and Donald Trump who rose to power because they were not only sincere in their rhetoric, but also vowed to push for revolutionary that no other candidate did.

And to remind you, the reason so many [[including these so-called "old evil racist white supremacists) voted for a Junior African-American Senator with a Muslim name from an extremely liberal city / state over a career politician who was married to a once popular US President is because, again, he promised to push for significant change at a time when despair filled the air throughout the country [[just like in the recent 2016 election).

And the reality too is you must share this country and the leadership appointed to run it with these people who are hurting really badly. And they're not just the "old evil racist white supremacists" as many Democrats like to claim, but people of all races and ages.

What does that red herring have to do with anything?
    Nothing about my comment was a red herring. Again, incrementalism obviously isn't enough for people when they're hurting really badly and yearning for change, as the recent elections have all proven [[and will continue to prove).

If we're going to toss that kind of crap out, how's that Obamacare repeal coming along? Swimmingly? "We're going to repeal it on Day One, it's the first thing we're going to do...

You tell me. The repeal of Obamacare would have been a disaster [[although I *personally* would benefit from a repeal, granted I'm not a selfish person), but let's not bullshit around. Obamacare [[which is a right-wing health care bill straight out of the Heritage Foundation) is a clusterfuck and there's no reason why we shouldn't at least have a public option *for all*, if not Single-Payer health care *for all*. The fact that so many people would rather go for broke to have the ACA repealed, not knowing the fallout from a repeal, proves how awful it is.

And for the record, I did not vote for Donald Trump and think he's despicable. At the same time, I also feel this "resist Trump" crap that the Democrats are peddling as well as the McCarthyism they're engaging in with pushing this unproven narrative about Russia is just as unproductive, as meanwhile they're wiped out at every single level of government because they've given people absolutely no reason to vote for them.

I'm sure that Mexican-funded wall is going to go up any day now too.

^^^This is the perfect example of a red herring.

Are you suggesting a nation doesn't have the right to control immigration inside its borders? I certainly don't think a border wall is the way to go about it [[I gave plenty of reasonable suggestions in another thread on this forum), but that said, your comment is still extremely absurd about the subject.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-13-17 at 11:12 AM.

... the reality is a significant portion of the country, at least economically, is hurting really badly today....
    ... which might seem hard to believe for some, given the recent "recovery."

Just yesterday I stumbled upon the following graph in my files. It shows a shocking but clear pattern. Click it for a brief article on the subject, with a brief video.

You don't even have to do that. Look around town. Drive outside the 'Zone' and you can see it first hand. The 'recovery' is very limited in scope as to who benefits.

Are you suggesting a nation doesn't have the right to control immigration inside its borders?
    Talk about a red herring...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Schwartenegger, Franken brought that sincerity. Kid Rock could also be perceived as sincere. He might do well.
    Al Franken has a degree in political science from Harvard, where he graduated cum laude. Kid Rock sold drugs out of a car wash. Although both men were/are "entertainers", I'm not entirely sure it's accurate to compare them.

As for Kid Rock's "sincerity", what leads you to believe he is in any way sincere? Look at his campaign website. Can you find a single stance on any issue of any significance on there? Does he talk about ANY issues at all? Is there any information on there from which you can base any decision whatsoever? Nope. It's just a bunch of t-shirts for sale.

That's not sincere, that's the exact opposite of sincere. He cares so much about running for Senate that his website is just a bunch of merchandise for you to buy. Issues, who cares about issues, I want one of those super classy "00 Fucks Given" Lions-style jerseys he has for sale. Hey, maybe when he wins, he can wear one of his "Ki_ Rock: The 'D' is missing because it's in every hater's mouth" t-shirts on the Senate floor. Just class the joint up a bit with how sincere he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Talk about a red herring...
    Behind some red herrings there are important principles some 'others' hold. Discarding the thoughts of 'the other' leaves you poorer.

To the left, everything looks like racism. To the right, everything looks like illegal immigration. Why these are true is worth debate, not dismissal, IMO.

Al Franken has a degree in political science from Harvard, where he graduated cum laude. Kid Rock sold drugs out of a car wash. Although both men were/are "entertainers", I'm not entirely sure it's accurate to compare them.
    Yes, you're right. Not comparable. One of them is a a profitable venture, the other esoteric.

As for Kid Rock's "sincerity", what leads you to believe he is in any way sincere? Look at his campaign website. Can you find a single stance on any issue of any significance on there? Does he talk about ANY issues at all? Is there any information on there from which you can base any decision whatsoever? Nope. It's just a bunch of t-shirts for sale.
    If there's a single thing that the Republicans and Democrats don't get that Trump and Sanders get... it is the we have discarded the Marquis of Queensbury rules.

The left has wanted to include 'feelings' into public policy. They have succeeded. The public mostly now is looking for someone who expresses solidarity of 'feelings', not policy. Fewer people want to hear about Hillary's policy positions, and more want to hear about who the middle-class in America 'feel'.

That Trump's policies in, for example, trade will harm the middle-class don't matter. He expresses the right feelings.

Yes, you're right. Not comparable. One of them is a a profitable venture, the other esoteric.
    Yes, petty drug dealing is so much more "profitable" than a Harvard degree. And obviously we judge political fitness by profit margin in dangerous illegal activities; that makes a hell of a lot of sense...

If there's a single thing that the Republicans and Democrats don't get that Trump and Sanders get... it is the we have discarded the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
    And by "we" you mean the Deplorables. Neo-Nazis, conspiracy theorists, the stupid and angry. The 90% of the planet that is "everyone else" still has some minimal degree of ethics, logic, decorum and decency.

Wasn't all of this youth-culture politician stuff already tried with "hip-hop Mayor" Kwame Kilpatrick?

Maybe being President willl actually improve Trump as a person. Whether he likes it or not, he will have to think about all Americans, not just the bottom line profit of his own private enterprise... or at least that's the theory.

Here's another perspective again, from the World's Poorest President:

http://www.antinewsnetwork.com/world...ites-politics/
    Last edited by night-timer; August-17-17 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Maybe being President willl actually improve Trump as a person.
    Do you see even a scintilla of evidence for this?

The dumpster fire of a President who has spent the last week clownishly defending Neo-Nazis?

The dumpster fire of a President who has spent the last week clownishly defending Neo-Nazis?
    Where did you see this Bham? Do you have a link to Trump defending Neo-Nazis?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-17-17 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Where did you see this Bham? Do you have a link to Trump defending Neo-Nazis?
    Don't be daft. Have you been living in a bunker the past week?

Trump called the Neo-Nazi marchers "some very fine people" and refused to even condemn the Neo-Nazi terrorist who murdered an innocent person. He said there was "blame on both sides".

Yeah, kinda like the Holocaust or 9-11. Blame both sides. Sounds reasonable. Blame the Neo-Nazi murdering terrorist and the woman getting murdered. They're both equally at fault...
    Last edited by Bham1982; August-17-17 at 07:58 AM.

I think Trump was elected partly because people simply did not want yet another politician or 'career politician'. Maybe that's why America chose him.

And if people were unhappy with the state of the nation after eight years of Obama, I never once heard Hillary say or explain how she was going to be any different or an improvement on him. [[Just more of the same?)

Not taking sides, just making observations.

Don't be daft. Have you been living in a bunker the past week?

Trump called the Neo-Nazi marchers "some very fine people" and refused to even condemn the Neo-Nazi terrorist who murdered an innocent person. He said there was "blame on both sides".

Yeah, kinda like the Holocaust or 9-11. Blame both sides. Sounds reasonable. Blame the Neo-Nazi murdering terrorist and the woman getting murdered. They're both equally at fault...
    Don't forget to mention that the White supremacists LOVED Trump's statement. Loved it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/u...s.html?mcubz=0

“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth,” David Duke, a former Ku Klux Klan leader, wrote in a Twitter post shortly after Mr. Trump spoke.

Richard B. Spencer, a white nationalist leader who participated in the weekend’s demonstrations and vowed to flood Charlottesville with similar protests in the coming weeks, was equally encouraged. “Trump’s statement was fair and down to earth,” Mr. Spencer tweeted.
    Literally everyone else denounced Trump's statement, including prominent members of his own political party. The only kudos he got were from racists and Nazis. That's telling.

Wow, an actual defense of slinging crack. There you have it folks. As soon as a conservative does it, it's somehow OK. You actually implied that dealing drugs is better than getting a degree from Harvard.

What's it like to have absolutely no values or principles whatsoever?

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I think Trump was elected partly because people simply did not want yet another politician or 'career politician'. Maybe that's why America chose him.

And if people were unhappy with the state of the nation after eight years of Obama, I never once heard Hillary say or explain how she was going to be any different or an improvement on him. [[Just more of the same?)

Not taking sides, just making observations.
    Any fair-minded person would completely agree with your observation. Unfortunately, the Democrats haven't had a fair mind since at least 1992.

And it's not so much a "career politician" that people didn't want, but rather someone that will continue the status quo.

Bernie Sanders is a "career politician" in the technical sense, but he holds arguably the most anti-establishment views of any Washington politician, and has consistently held these views his entire career [[thus, in other words, people knew he was sincere). Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton would give you a different line depending on which color pants suit she wore that day.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-19-17 at 04:35 PM.

The Orangutan got votes because it preached hate to a body of disenfranchised bigots that wanted to hear hate.

I was all for an outsider, non career candidate who could be open minded and effective. Not a loudmouthed buffoon from a reality show that can't even get through a single day without embarrassing the country with his clown show antics.

Never knew enough about Bernie to be sure either way, but he wasn't Billary and that was enough for me. Then the primaries got manipulated and the Ds ended up with the least electable candidate in history.

The US ended up with two complete losers to choose from, the very worst of the worst from all of the viable candidates. I would have been more comfortable with O'Malley vs. Kasich. I think that would have made for a better choice for all.

...snip...

Much of the left does blame the west for 9/11. We are occupying their lands. We supported a dictator in Iran. We support Israel in their oppression of the noble Palestinian people.

If we'd just leave the mid-east and the 'stans' alone, all would be great.

I also am amazed that there's a presumption that Trump is making the Koreas more dangerous by being more aggressive and less diplomatic. Blaming the US for Korean dangers. I kinda thing the little man over there deserves just a little blame for building up a nuclear arsenal, as well as crimes against about 250,000 of his people who are in forced labor camps. But there's much more criticism of Trump than of the little one over there. Sometimes you need to blame both sides.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast