Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Kid Rock is not my candidate for Senate, but I am not a believer that one needs "special training" or academic credentials or brilliant resume to do well in public office. Character and brains [[not to be confused with education) are the key factors. The best resume ever to be elected president was James Buchanon, and that didn't turn out to be a great success. Jimmy Carter is a brilliant man, a nuclear physicist. Doesn't mean he had any idea whatsoever how to deal with Russians, Iranians, inflation or members of his own party. Citizens from any walk of life can make for a good legislator. Or a terrible one. Most of the members of Congress for the last half century have been well educated, experienced politicians. Everyone love Congress? Michigan's best member of Congress in the last quarter century, if you ask me, was Candace Miller, the former housewife with no college education. She puts in the work and gets the job done. Kid Rock might be amazing or terrible, but he is neither because of his experience or education. Hiding behind resumes and credentials one can easily find incompetence, corruption or malpractice.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post
    While I have no clue if you are male or female , by your name I have to wonder if you are a current resident of the State of Michigan?
    Not to mention that there's a Brooklyn, Michigan...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Not to mention that there's a Brooklyn, Michigan...
    Well even most people in Michigan don't think of "Brooklyn, Michigan" when they hear / see "Brooklyn."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Kid Rock is not my candidate for Senate, but I am not a believer that one needs "special training" or academic credentials or brilliant resume to do well in public office. Character and brains [[not to be confused with education) are the key factors. The best resume ever to be elected president was James Buchanon, and that didn't turn out to be a great success. Jimmy Carter is a brilliant man, a nuclear physicist. Doesn't mean he had any idea whatsoever how to deal with Russians, Iranians, inflation or members of his own party. Citizens from any walk of life can make for a good legislator. Or a terrible one. Most of the members of Congress for the last half century have been well educated, experienced politicians. Everyone love Congress? Michigan's best member of Congress in the last quarter century, if you ask me, was Candace Miller, the former housewife with no college education. She puts in the work and gets the job done. Kid Rock might be amazing or terrible, but he is neither because of his experience or education. Hiding behind resumes and credentials one can easily find incompetence, corruption or malpractice.
    +5 .......

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    . People who advocate mass genocide are not "whack-a-doos" - they are evil and dangerous. And the occupant of the White House actively and intentionally spurs this hatred on for his own narcissistic purposes, consequences be damned. Your false equivalency of "lots of lunatics liked Obama" is "sad", to quote our eloquent president. It fails bigly.
    Well, I suppose Obama's remark about bringing a gun to a knife fight is admirable and worth carrying out? What a politician does is diamonds, compared to the peanuts of what is said. Substance means more to me than the superficiality of form.

Hiding behind resumes and credentials one can easily find incompetence, corruption or malpractice.
    Or, hiding behind a "Hahhvard" education. Derision of Harvard as an institution of learning goes back to the American Revolution and beyond. John Adams was notorious for boasting about his alma mater at nearly every opportunity, to the amusement of many of the founders, particularly William and Mary educated Thomas Jefferson.

It is getting harder to find the confederate flag waving types with university degrees.

Need to cast a wider net including more rich kid runaways who dropped out of high school to sell drugs to get that covered.

Fame and racially offensive actions/statements are just to hard to take a pass on for some people these days.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-16-17 at 06:45 PM.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...an-senate-race

"A recent poll from Delphi Analytica showed that Robert “Kid Rock” Ritchie was preferred by voters, when compared to incumbent Democratic Senator Debbie Stabenow."

Where does eschewing credentials end for you? Home repair? Teachers for your children? Health care?

Kid Rock is not my candidate for Senate, but I am not a believer that one needs "special training" or academic credentials or brilliant resume to do well in public office. Character and brains [[not to be confused with education) are the key factors.
    Character, and especially brains, are highly correlated with educational attainment. I understand its trendy and vaguely populist to say otherwise, but it's true. Harvard grads really are smarter than community college grads, and perform better on basically any measure [[income, health, longevity, etc.)

Causation? No. But certainly correlated. Which is, in part, why a candidate like Kid Rock is, at face value, absurd. No education, experience or apparent qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Character, and especially brains, are highly correlated with educational attainment. I understand its trendy and vaguely populist to say otherwise, but it's true. Harvard grads really are smarter than community college grads, and perform better on basically any measure [[income, health, longevity, etc.)

Causation? No. But certainly correlated. Which is, in part, why a candidate like Kid Rock is, at face value, absurd. No education, experience or apparent qualifications.
    What about musical talent, good looks and creativity?

Whatever happened to Hee-Haw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

First, lumping brains and character together is a giant stretch.

Second, correlations needs not be perfect. A +1.0 correlation doesn't. Brains might be correlated with education, but not perfectly. Maybe just a little, or a lot. But......

Third, correlation [[less than 1.0) tells you nothing about the difference between any two individuals. Its only about the groups.

Does Rich Wagoner [[GM) have more 'character' than Harry Truman? Truman did go to college, but he left after one year. Blankfein went to Harvard.

Does Steve Jobs have more 'brains' than Bill Gates? Close call unless you're a Mac-head. One of them only briefly attended college. One graduated from Harvard.

Correlation cannot be used to judge individuals. Its called prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What about musical talent, good looks and creativity?
    Who is this you're describing? Are we still talking about *Kid Rock?*

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Who is this you're describing? Are we still talking about *Kid Rock?*
    Maybe substitute the "Kid" with "Pet Rock". Better attributes there IMO. Hee-Haw.

His campaign website is just a bunch of shirts for sale, many with the word "motherfucker" or references to oral sex emblazoned on them, so...

As for Candace Miller, it's just a tad bit incorrect to say she was "just a housewife" before being elected to Congress considering she had two decades in politics at that point, having served as a township board member and then township supervisor for Harrison Township, Macomb County Treasurer, and 8 years as Michigan Secretary of State. So yeah, two decades of experience in politics, but she was a political novice?

Hey, maybe White Boy Rick Wershe can run for Governor too. His campaign slogan can be "White Boy Rick for Governor...Because nothing matters anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Hey, maybe White Boy Rick Wershe can run for Governor too. His campaign slogan can be "White Boy Rick for Governor...Because nothing matters anymore."
    If he were White Boy Joe it would work fine. Nobody named Rick should be running for office in Michigan or Flint right now.

But I think a lot matters today. Its just not the same 'stuff'. I too prefer leaders of great moral character. I voted for Trump not because of his bad table manners, but because of it. Well not because of it. But in spite of it.

We tried the sophisticates. The oh-so-clean and slick politicians who say absolutely nothing. Entire speeches full of words devoid of meaning. Who after being elected didn't' turn into leaders, but just kept pandering to special interest groups like trade unions, or radical environmentalists, or anti-abortion radicals. A lot matters. Just different things.

Sheryl Crow weighs in. Came up with some great lyrics.

BTW, would MI voters recognize him by his mother-given name [[which is the way it would appear on the ballot). It won't be "Kid Rock" unless he legally changes his name.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/29/entert...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    We tried the sophisticates. The oh-so-clean and slick politicians who say absolutely nothing. Entire speeches full of words devoid of meaning.
    Oh, I see why you voted for Trump.

This is the best Stabenow can do, at a time when she has at least a moderate chance of losing her seat. Even do-nothing Conyers [[who has the safest seat in the entire country) was bold enough to push for a Medicare-For-All bill...

No wonder we're even seriously discussing a successful Senate run by a confederate flag-waving Rock star...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...sal/104417678/

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Sheryl Crow weighs in. Came up with some great lyrics.

BTW, would MI voters recognize him by his mother-given name [[which is the way it would appear on the ballot). It won't be "Kid Rock" unless he legally changes his name.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/29/entert...rnd/index.html
    If a town where nearly 50% of the population is functionally illiterate was able to successfully write-in the current mayor, I'm pretty sure voters across the state would be able to recognize and choose Kid Rock on a ballot.

Here's an interesting thread to look back on re: name change for politics.https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...84-Joel-Loving
    If a town where nearly 50% of the population is functionally illiterate was able to successfully write-in the current mayor, I'm pretty sure voters across the state would be able to recognize and choose Kid Rock on a ballot.

This is the best Stabenow can do, at a time when she has at least a moderate chance of losing her seat. Even do-nothing Conyers [[who has the safest seat in the entire country) was bold enough to push for a Medicare-For-All bill...

No wonder we're even seriously discussing a successful Senate run by a confederate flag-waving Rock star...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...sal/104417678/
    1) Kid Rock is "running" as a publicity stunt to sell merchandise and stay relevant by keeping his name in the news. Stabenow's seat is safe because the Michigan GOP has no one of significance to challenger her OTHER than a Confederate flag-waving former drug dealer.

2) Giving people the option to buy-in to Medicare at 55 is a good idea and a step in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with incremental change.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    GOP has no one of significance to challenger her OTHER than a Confederate flag-waving former drug dealer.
    And yet .... look what happened to the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And yet .... look what happened to the White House.
    Exactly.

When people are desperate for change, they'll take *any* type of change.

There's nothing wrong with incremental change.
    True. That seemed to work out very well for Rep. Jon Ossoff, President Hillary Clinton and the Supermajority the Democrats have had in Congress since 2008, didn't it...

...Oh wait...!?
    Last edited by 313WX; August-09-17 at 10:31 PM.

[[sigh) Oh, no.. I hope Mr. Ritchie's pal Marshall Mathers can talk some sense into him and tell him not to be bothered running for office when there's more money in selling outlaw-hillbilly-rocker shtick to the rubes...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast