Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    detmich Guest

Why do you all hate Detroit? Why are you all trying to keep Detroit from rising? These same exact problems happen in Chicago, New York, and LA. Detroit is a victim of the anti-Detroit bias that permeates all the media- local, national, and international.

None of this is the fault of Detroit's government or citizens. It is a racist ploy foisted on Detroit by its vicious enemies in the surrounding suburbs, Ann Arbor, Washington, and the world. The city of Detroit and its citizens are blameless victims suffering under this conspiracy that was formed solely to destroy Detroit, its citizens, and its industry. This board is full of "blame the victim" posts.

There are no crimes in Woodbridge, only rumors of crimes. Rumors started by the agents of destruction sent to Detroit. Wouldn't the police let the population know if there were crimes committed in the city? What are you trying to say? That the DPD would lie about something like murder rates for example to deflate the crime numbers? HA! That might happen in DC, or NY, or LA but not in Detroit.

I think that anyone who posts on here who does not live IN Detroit is suspect. Everyone. They are obviously seeking the destruction of Detroit for their own selfish gain. This board shuold mandate city residency for all posters. There is no other way to control the infiltrators.

Why are film crews suddenly coming here anyway? Isn't the film industry run by Jews?If you dig deeper, you will see the truth that the Jewish bankers controlled by the Rothchilds are trying to destroy Detroit for dome secret sinister purpose. Who knows what? Maybe they want the salt? All I know is that any one who questions Detroit must be purged. A full scale pogrom may be necesary. But Detroit will succeed, By Any Means Necessary!

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    One particular case involved two people coming on my friends' porch to try and sell us cheap sunglasses, and then became more and more threatening until we just went inside. Coincidentally [[or not), the bottom-floor apartment of that house had a brick thrown through their window and some stuff grabbed that night.

probably no coindidence, dudes were probably using the whole sunglasses bit as a front to get on the porch and scope out the first floor apartment

This sort of thing doesn't happen in NY or LA? I'll give you that it typically doesn't, but it also typically doesn't in Detroit either.It seems some here would be rather surprised to learn that the majority of Detroiters go about their day without being involved on wither the receiving or committing end of crime. Shocking, I know!

Dammit, the DPD did a great job and two idiots are off the street. Thank God no decent Detroiters were harmed. If the police were available in greater numbers there would be even fewer instances of crimes such as this, and on the rare instance when it does it would be much more likely to have such positive results.
    Last edited by jtf1972; August-24-09 at 11:10 AM.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    Why are film crews suddenly coming here anyway? Isn't the film industry run by Jews?If you dig deeper, you will see the truth that the Jewish bankers controlled by the Rothchilds are trying to destroy Detroit for dome secret sinister purpose. Who knows what? Maybe they want the salt?
    I don't think the salt is kosher, is it? Or does it become kosher depending how you remove it? Is there a jewish person around here who can tell us what makes salt kosher? Somebody check the westside for us.

Choquant,
    Off the top of my head I can remember a few incidents.

The party at D.B.'s house, party guests were robbed at gunpoint on the porch.

Bicyclist shot in arm and bike was stolen, can't remember the cross streets that incident took place at, but it was in the heart of Woodbridge. I believe this happened in the beginning of the summer.

Also, in beginning to midsummer, friend's downstairs neighbors are woken up in the middle of the night by a noise. It is someone trying to crawl into their bedroom window, which is open, after all it is summer. This one was weird because they were clearly home, they fell asleep with some lights on, the porch light was lit, etc.

Shortly after that, some other neighborhood folks robbed in much the same fashion. All their electronics stolen, as they slept in their beds. Window entry.

Friends who have talked to police have told me that they think it's a particular group [[gang? I don't know, a loosely organized group of thugs) targeting people. All these victims are "student types", I guess you could say. I have also heard about some violence and my friend's neighbor had a brick thrown through the front window.

I don't live there and I didn't call my "sources" for more scoop before posting, this is just what I can remember over the course of the summer. The kids doing this stuff are very cocky and brazen. I am hoping this last caper cools them off for a bit.

Sorry for all the lousy news. Unfortunately, if I made a few phone calls, I could probably post a lot more.
    Last edited by bumble; August-24-09 at 03:20 PM.

Choquant, just reread your post...just wanted to say...different brick, just for clarification. The house where this brick landed was just a smash, no grab. Just a pointless act of violence. If the person would have been lying on the couch, the brick would have landed on their head. Luckily, no one was hurt.

apparently this movie was a mess from the get-go...
    it appears that no one has been paid by the production company-
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010072...didnt-pay-bill
    I've heard of extras, musicians, a tent company, and now this hotel, classy act eh?
    I doubt the movie will ever see the light of day...too bad really, I had to put up with them filming behind my house for a couple weeks

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post

Is death a fair punishment for this crime? NO. A fair punishment would be giving them jobs.

Like this?

I used to live on Commonwealth some 20+ years ago, it was edgy then. But I liked that the WSU law enforcement overlap that made police response fast. You'd get DPD or WSU fairly fast. Glad they got the assailant.
    Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    I live at Commonwealth and Warren and heard a huge commotion earlier, and finally was able to find out what happened. I guess some idiots decided to try to rob the film crew for Little Murder. Luckily it looks like all of the suspects were caught, and one took a bullet in the shoulder...

I should mention that the response time seemed very quick, and there was a mix of Detroit and Wayne State cops there. Good for them.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/20496856/detail.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-23-10 at 08:00 AM.

Crazy and brazen that thieves would break-in while people sleep. Could be a deadly vocation as some are armed... and not willing accept the idea of people walking about in their home 'shopping' or considering to do worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
    Choquant,
    Off the top of my head I can remember a few incidents.

The party at D.B.'s house, party guests were robbed at gunpoint on the porch.

Bicyclist shot in arm and bike was stolen, can't remember the cross streets that incident took place at, but it was in the heart of Woodbridge. I believe this happened in the beginning of the summer.

Also, in beginning to midsummer, friend's downstairs neighbors are woken up in the middle of the night by a noise. It is someone trying to crawl into their bedroom window, which is open, after all it is summer. This one was weird because they were clearly home, they fell asleep with some lights on, the porch light was lit, etc.

Shortly after that, some other neighborhood folks robbed in much the same fashion. All their electronics stolen, as they slept in their beds. Window entry.

Friends who have talked to police have told me that they think it's a particular group [[gang? I don't know, a loosely organized group of thugs) targeting people. All these victims are "student types", I guess you could say. I have also heard about some violence and my friend's neighbor had a brick thrown through the front window.

I don't live there and I didn't call my "sources" for more scoop before posting, this is just what I can remember over the course of the summer. The kids doing this stuff are very cocky and brazen. I am hoping this last caper cools them off for a bit.

Sorry for all the lousy news. Unfortunately, if I made a few phone calls, I could probably post a lot more.

Very sad. Someone needs to tell them that this kind of thing can be deadly... to the perpetrator. You play with guns you might get shot!
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Two stupid teenages with shotguns attempting to rob a movie crew. They so deserve to go to jail. Kudos to DPD for putting two more dumb kids in jail. Since their parents can't do the job to raise them, let the state do the job.

Exactly. If the teen would have gotten off a shot [[even with a less than accurate aim) with that shotgun the officer would have been killed... as shotgun ammo spreads [[bird shot or XX) and a close up shot is usually lethal - even bird shot sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    That little thug got off easy with a shoulder shot. I'm sure the police officer was thinking about taking him down permanently. That perp had a shotgun aimed at the officer. Any sane rational person, much less a trained police officer isn't going to be thinking about winging or wounding the guy at that point. It very well was going to be the criminal or the cop. Fortunately we can talk about how the cops came out ahead on this one as opposed to losing one of Detroit's Finest to some street thug.

Zacha,

20 years ago, there was a third set of professional eyes on the neighborhood, too.

Before Wayne State really got their act together with their security...I think before they were deputized as adjunct police or sheriff or whatever legal 'bump' in prestige they got...there was a private security firm patrolling, at least on the Wayne side of the Lodge.

As for crime in Woodbridge, I've one friend who lost her phone and money to some asshole who decided to beat her up, too...and just last night another had a computer stolen off her porch when she turned her back for a minute.

It is getting bad all over...I knew a few folks at that party where the two dudes walked up and emptied everyone's pockets. This gang will keep it up until there is some resistance, hipsters are easy pickings.

No cheers on this one...

Woodbridge is straight-up one of the more dangerous "nice" neighborhoods in Detroit. It's surrounded by gang-infested neighborhoods and housing projects, and isolated from Midtown by the freeways and fields.

Looking for safety, move to Corktown, Art Center, 2nd and Canfield area, Lafayette Park, Rivertown...

Any chance the Woodbridge association might try to spring for private security? I think that's what either Palmer Woods or Indian Village does... it just may be a necessary expense in revitalizing neighborhoods, along with an alarm service.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    . Of the few examples IN town I can personally vouch for [[& rap videos are a whole 'nother kettle of fish) WAS in Hollywood...a Craft Service guy who was a soft touch fed a homeless guy[[mistake #1) then offered him a job[[mistake #2) helping him prep the food[[mistake #3). On the 2nd day the homeless guy broke into the production trailer & stole the producer's purse[[mistake #4). The producer completed the circle by firing the crafty guy.

So the lesson of lesson and morale of the story is this: All homeless people are crafty and you should never attempt to give one a job and help them better themselves while all the time yelling, they shold pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    So the lesson of lesson and morale of the story is this: All homeless people are crafty and you should never attempt to give one a job and help them better themselves while all the time yelling, they shold pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
    No, they call 'em "crafty" as the nickname for Craft Service, they're the guys & girls who prep the snacks, coffee, pop; things on a table set up for the cast & crew to nosh on-which is a lousy job because they have the food & they're usually off to the side on any film location & not every film is lensing in Grosse Pointe so they're going to be set upon by the area homeless, no matter how good the security is. I've seen craft service guys try & throw a homeless guy a bone by having them do food prep because they're nice guys, which is a terrible idea because these guys personal grooming habits are lousy, staph infections & whatnot. A friend on a Jim Carrey movie got shut down & had everybody get hepatitis shots after one of the catering guys turned up sick. So it's a matter of "Hey, I know-let's get David Arquette sick! How many days will THAT cost us?". This OTHER guy screwed up because HIS homeless guy figured the score & went to the top of the food chain, swiping he producer's purse. He knew nothing about this guy, brought him in & had it blow up in his face. That's a lesson in labor relations-nothing to do with being insensitive to the needs of the homeless...but a lot of 'em are out there for a reason

No, they call 'em "crafty" as the nickname for Craft Service, they're the guys & girls who prep the snacks, coffee, pop; things on a table set up for the cast & crew to nosh on-which is a lousy job because they have the food & they're usually off to the side on any film location & not every film is lensing in Grosse Pointe so they're going to be set upon by the area homeless, no matter how good the security is. I've seen craft service guys try & throw a homeless guy a bone by having them do food prep because they're nice guys, which is a terrible idea because these guys personal grooming habits are lousy, staph infections & whatnot. A friend on a Jim Carrey movie got shut down & had everybody get hepatitis shots after one of the catering guys turned up sick. So it's a matter of "Hey, I know-let's get David Arquette sick! How many days will THAT cost us?". This OTHER guy screwed up because HIS homeless guy figured the score & went to the top of the food chain, swiping he producer's purse. He knew nothing about this guy, brought him in & had it blow up in his face. That's a lesson in labor relations-nothing to do with being insensitive to the needs of the homeless...but a lot of 'em are out there for a reason

So this one homeless guy brought in another homeless to help HIM out and he screwed over him.....

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    and in fact, i bet this is even less likely to happen now that I think of it. the culprits were caught within minutes. the cops made an example of these idiots. i doubt anyone will be robbing film crews anytime soon.
    Not everybody has common sense, though.

Probably especially young men, who tend to be more impulsive and less rational than older people.

So this one homeless guy brought in another homeless to help HIM out and he screwed over him.....
    No, that was from a few different examples of a few Craft Service guys...Craft Service was started in the 1940's by a bored set photographer...they're not part of any dept. like the camera crew or the grips so there's no hierarchy to shoot down bad ideas. It's entry-level, like being a p.a. Frankly any member of this board could hire on as crafty on Monday. If you made lunch for your kids, you could do crafty

Well stated. As you state the naive-type 'hipsters' are easy prey. No joke! I observe them making poor 'security' choices often when I am out and about on WSU/ CCS campus and I lived in Woodbridge but I was a born/ raised near there and was bluntly wise to the scams.

When perps 'choose' [[and they do CHOOSE) their victim[[s) they do so based on predicted response. Example: They're less likely to approach people they feel will give them the "HELL NO! - Get the f*cK away from me!!" attitude they themselves present.

I am/ have been approached sometimes and I can 'grim up' fast [[not cursing people out but letting them know from my eye contact and my countenance that I'm not be an easy-mark) thwarting the 'basic scam' or 'pan-handling' gone wrong.

Being robbed is not something I've ever encountered fortunately. But as a rule when I am on out and about on my feet I don't give out time, or much else... these can be classic distraction maneuvers....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Zacha,

20 years ago, there was a third set of professional eyes on the neighborhood, too.

Before Wayne State really got their act together with their security...I think before they were deputized as adjunct police or sheriff or whatever legal 'bump' in prestige they got...there was a private security firm patrolling, at least on the Wayne side of the Lodge.

As for crime in Woodbridge, I've one friend who lost her phone and money to some asshole who decided to beat her up, too...and just last night another had a computer stolen off her porch when she turned her back for a minute.

It is getting bad all over...I knew a few folks at that party where the two dudes walked up and emptied everyone's pockets. This gang will keep it up until there is some resistance, hipsters are easy pickings.

No cheers on this one...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-10 at 07:58 AM.

For certain... Woodbridge is on the other side of the Berlin wall as we used to say [[west of Trumbull outside of the WSU grid and Midtown as you mention)... and you're in the '48208' zip - a heavy crime zone [[for decades)... and Grand River-land which has not been nice going back to the days of the 20 Grand hotel on Warren.

14th and 12th streets have always been tough and there are some rough side streets, vacant lots, railroad track endings, creepy freeway service drives, ala very dark, poorly lit areas... I know the area well. I went to Murray-Wright high school back in the day... came back to the area later and lived off Avery. You had to be smart... things looked promising in the mid-nineties with a few apartments pending to be condos, then that went bust [[Avery and Commonwealth)

Yet there are some business striving like the Boys Club of America on Warren and that corner bar and grill on Trumbull... Strong community patrol is needed - as a show of force against a determined criminal element bent on picking off those they think are easy 'marks'... who aren't prepared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Woodbridge is straight-up one of the more dangerous "nice" neighborhoods in Detroit. It's surrounded by gang-infested neighborhoods and housing projects, and isolated from Midtown by the freeways and fields.

Looking for safety, move to Corktown, Art Center, 2nd and Canfield area, Lafayette Park, Rivertown...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-10 at 08:11 AM.

Desperately needed. I move away from there due to increasing crime back in the 80's. I had young youth and could not deal with that. Plus the rents were high for the nearness to WSU quotient...
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Any chance the Woodbridge association might try to spring for private security? I think that's what either Palmer Woods or Indian Village does... it just may be a necessary expense in revitalizing neighborhoods, along with an alarm service.

Nothing wrong with helping the disadvantaged, I often do [[within reason) working in the community with youth and adults, but 'politics' aside if you want to RETAIN your resources so as to "keep" helping you have to be careful and not give your house keys [[symbolically or literally) to someone you do not know....

And for sure, be NOT surprised when edgy people do 'edgy' things. Mentoring is one thing. Laying yourself open for problems is another... Alot of homeless people have untreated and un-diagnosed mental issues and with the lack of mental health service their behavior and socialization abilities can be unpredictable.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-10 at 07:54 AM.

Very good information... and NO one homeless should be handling food, be it cup of coffee etc! I work/ volunteer from time to time in tandem with some culinary arts environments and food prep and 'handling' is very, VERY serious business from the health standards point of view.... Unless the same persons endorsing such are OK to have their nice steak house or vegan restaurants kitchen similarly staffed....
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-10 at 10:22 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast