Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I applaud the DPD. If we only had the needed numbers on the street this could be the result of each rare similar instance.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    Man, I wish he was still mayor. **sigh**
    Were they able to reach Mayor Bing at his "residence" in Detroit?

I wonder if this will put an end to the home invasions in Woodbridge.

These are probably the punks that have been walking up to hipster hangout parties.

Good fucking riddance. Shoot to kill. TWO body, one head.

If the Officer hit the scumbag in the shoulder is because he missed his chest

detmich Guest

My God, Detroit has become an absolutely dysfunctional shit hole. What a frigging disaster. And anyone who thinks this is normal, or "happens all the time in Chicago" is an idiot who has fallen into an abyss where living like a Gao damned animal is normal. This doesn't go on every where, unfortunately just in Detroit.

What an absolut embarrassment for Detroit. It is a terrible blow to any idea of a film industry. Even if film crews continue to film in Detroit, costs are going to go way up for the city and state because of security gaurantees that will be needed.

Very discouraging.

Welcome to Detroit!

[Since their parents can't do the job to raise them]

That's kind of a bold assumption. Have you actually looked at the percentage of teens in Detroit that have "parents"?

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    Welcome to Detroit!

[Since their parents can't do the job to raise them]

That's kind of a bold assumption. Have you actually looked at the percentage of teens in Detroit that have "parents"?

Yes, 100% of teens have parents. In fact, 100% of people have paents.

Not in Detroit.

Robbery, murder, larceny, drugs and gangs are the norm in the Ghettohoods of Detroit. Even the young juveniles are packin' heat and play Robin Hood against the rich filled movie crew. The juveniles will be paying the price the courts.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Take back your neighborhoods for Nedi Soltani's sake.

AHHHH. i love in woodbridge. i wish i would witnessed this. SOO GREAT

look at that video with that [[[[[[ getting put in the back of the cop car.

now while i agree that these are STUPID fucking kids, a disgrace to Detroit, I don't agree that the cops "should shoot to kill." That would more disgracefull, violent, evil than what these immature, almost certianly economically depressed, kids did.

Is death a fair punishment for this crime? NO. A fair punishment would be giving them jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    My God, Detroit has become an absolutely dysfunctional shit hole. What a frigging disaster. And anyone who thinks this is normal, or "happens all the time in Chicago" is an idiot who has fallen into an abyss where living like a Gao damned animal is normal. This doesn't go on every where, unfortunately just in Detroit.

What an absolut embarrassment for Detroit. It is a terrible blow to any idea of a film industry. Even if film crews continue to film in Detroit, costs are going to go way up for the city and state because of security gaurantees that will be needed.

Very discouraging.
    your attitude is very discouraging. your attitude is a self-fufilling prophesy. you call your own city an "absolutely dysfunctional shit hole" bascially agreeing with 90% of people who live in the suburbs. wait.... do you live in the suburbs?

If you want detroit to get better, first you have to say that it is better, even if it is not. it mostly phycological. Yesterday morning there was less fear of something like this happening, today there is more. Are the chances any different? NO.

and in fact, i bet this is even less likely to happen now that I think of it. the culprits were caught within minutes. the cops made an example of these idiots. i doubt anyone will be robbing film crews anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    now while i agree that these are STUPID fucking kids, a disgrace to Detroit, I don't agree that the cops "should shoot to kill."
    If someone aims a gun at you, you shoot to kill. There is no choice to be made.

I was reading Freep comments at the bottom of the article yesterday. Someone from Cali commented on the fact that these crimes happen at film shoots in Hollywood.

Also, to comment on Detmich who said that this is ONLY a Detroit problem ... [[so typical SE Michigan). - I was watching the news yesterday and a Congresswoman was being interviewd. They were talking about gun laws and she starting to speak strongly about how CHICAGO is having an epidemic of shootings, specifically young adults / children.

hm... maybe this ISN'T only a Detroit problem.....

FYI - this DOES happen in Los Angeles, especially on smaller films like "Little Murder" that may have less of a security presence. Try shooting an independent film in South LA and see if you don't get hassled, or even robbed.

dcmorrison12 I was reading Freep comments at the bottom of the article yesterday. Someone from Cali commented on the fact that these crimes happen at film shoots in Hollywood.

Gsgeorge FYI - this DOES happen in Los Angeles, especially on smaller films like "Little Murder" that may have less of a security presence. Try shooting an independent film in South LA and see if you don't get hassled, or even robbed.

No. This does not happen here, despite what the Freep,poster claimed. Maybe the most "DOGME 95" like indie or student project, but nothing I've heard of. And word travels fast. I was involved in a project where the above-the-line guys were location scouting in a foreign country, & were robbed by bandits. They pulled their tens of millions of dollars & shot in the U.S., doubling for the country-but wrote a scene of bandits robbing the heroes into the script. The Film Commission guy was weeping when they left. There's too much money involved to have this happen, it's a real black eye if someone wants to feel better posting "Oh, this happens in Hollywood everyday" they can...but it's not true.

Default The I Told You So - response

These sort of crimes may very well happen in LA or NYC too. I can see the spin: 'See I Told You Detroit Was a Bad Place to Shoot a Movie'. Feeding preconceived notions of our generally poor reputation around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    No. This does not happen here, despite what the Freep,poster claimed. Maybe the most "DOGME 95" like indie or student project, but nothing I've heard of. And word travels fast. I was involved in a project where the above-the-line guys were location scouting in a foreign country, & were robbed by bandits. They pulled their tens of millions of dollars & shot in the U.S., doubling for the country-but wrote a scene of bandits robbing the heroes into the script. The Film Commission guy was weeping when they left. There's too much money involved to have this happen, it's a real black eye if someone wants to feel better posting "Oh, this happens in Hollywood everyday" they can...but it's not true.
    Flying, neither of us claimed that it happens every day. It doesn't. Films have been shooting here for over a year since the incentives were passed and this is the first of this type of incident. If you don't think this happens in LA & NYC, then you are sorely mistaken & disillusioned. Enjoy the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    If you don't think this happens in LA & NYC, then you are sorely mistaken & disillusioned. Enjoy the weather.
    I didn't mention NYC-it doesn't happen in L.A. because then you're SCREWING WITH THE MONEY. You know why you never heard of car thieves driving off in Eldorados from the line @ the Cadillac Assembly Plant? Because neither Detroit nor GM was foolish enough to let them SCREW WITH THE MONEY. After a terrorism threat several years ago L.A. movie studios are Fort Knox. But there's 3 levels of security on any L.A. location...period, 4 if you count "Hollywood" proper like someone mentioned earlier. Of the few examples IN town I can personally vouch for [[& rap videos are a whole 'nother kettle of fish) WAS in Hollywood...a Craft Service guy who was a soft touch fed a homeless guy[[mistake #1) then offered him a job[[mistake #2) helping him prep the food[[mistake #3). On the 2nd day the homeless guy broke into the production trailer & stole the producer's purse[[mistake #4). The producer completed the circle by firing the crafty guy. But having a couple hoodlums saunter onto a set & rob the crew w/shotguns? To quote a movie out this weekend; Nein nein nein nein nein! God knows how much they could've hauled in if they got to the UPM & the petty cash. This isn't a fly-by-night shoot, this is a Terrence Howard film. Even on "Hustle & Flow", where Anthony Anderson & an a.d. were arrested on rape accusations you didn't have anything happen to their crew in Memphis. Another critical point is, they've got Detroit doubling for New Orleans. That's a rare thing, brought about only because of the rebate. Rarer still because Louisiana has a pretty healthy rebate of their own; http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...97750550&ps=rs I wouldn't be surprised if "Little Murder" adjusts their schedule/budget to film a lot more in New Orleans, frankly. Because the N.O. film office would never, ever let them SCREW WITH THE MONEY. This kind of situation can't be undone by a dozen Michigan State Police cars driving the wrong way down an alley. If the city's smart they'll learn from this & more importantly, spin it & make damn sure nobody on "Red Dawn" gets a stubbed toe, because there's too much @ stake now to simply have thugs SCREW WITH THE MONEY.

UFO Guest

This is just another black eye for the city.

You would think that people would be happy Hollywood is thinking of bringing its business here but alas, unfortunately a lot of thugs are going to view this as an opportunity to make a quick buck and all its going to do is place another nail in Detroit's already nail ridden coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    I didn't mention NYC-it doesn't happen in L.A. because then you're SCREWING WITH THE MONEY. You know why you never heard of car thieves driving off in Eldorados from the line @ the Cadillac Assembly Plant? Because neither Detroit nor GM was foolish enough to let them SCREW WITH THE MONEY. After a terrorism threat several years ago L.A. movie studios are Fort Knox. But there's 3 levels of security on any L.A. location...period, 4 if you count "Hollywood" proper like someone mentioned earlier. Of the few examples IN town I can personally vouch for [[& rap videos are a whole 'nother kettle of fish) WAS in Hollywood...a Craft Service guy who was a soft touch fed a homeless guy[[mistake #1) then offered him a job[[mistake #2) helping him prep the food[[mistake #3). On the 2nd day the homeless guy broke into the production trailer & stole the producer's purse[[mistake #4). The producer completed the circle by firing the crafty guy. But having a couple hoodlums saunter onto a set & rob the crew w/shotguns? To quote a movie out this weekend; Nein nein nein nein nein! God knows how much they could've hauled in if they got to the UPM & the petty cash. This isn't a fly-by-night shoot, this is a Terrence Howard film. Even on "Hustle & Flow", where Anthony Anderson & an a.d. were arrested on rape accusations you didn't have anything happen to their crew in Memphis. Another critical point is, they've got Detroit doubling for New Orleans. That's a rare thing, brought about only because of the rebate. Rarer still because Louisiana has a pretty healthy rebate of their own; http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...97750550&ps=rs I wouldn't be surprised if "Little Murder" adjusts their schedule/budget to film a lot more in New Orleans, frankly. Because the N.O. film office would never, ever let them SCREW WITH THE MONEY. This kind of situation can't be undone by a dozen Michigan State Police cars driving the wrong way down an alley. If the city's smart they'll learn from this & more importantly, spin it & make damn sure nobody on "Red Dawn" gets a stubbed toe, because there's too much @ stake now to simply have thugs SCREW WITH THE MONEY.
    Wow. Well to start, not sure I understand your likening this to thieves driving cars off the line. These teens are not being employed by the movie industry and probably have little to no knowledge that the film industry brings money here. The folks around here don't exactly think of the film industry the same way the folks in LA do. The folks in LA know: this is our industry. Here, it's seen as a rare oddity, a curiosity that is cool but other than that doesn't help out Regular Joe. Obviously that's not true, but the point is: They were regular thieves.

Also, apparently no one told you that this was not a regular film set. The location scout, producer and a few assistants were out SCOUTING. There were no trailers, barricades, set security, etc. They had as much a chance of getting mugged as any other group of three or four people strolling down the street. The bandits saw a few iPhones & probably a fancy digital camera and decided to make their move.

I frequently read this forum, however this is my first post. I was curious if the recent surge of crime in Woodbridge would ever be brought up on the board. Imagine my surprise to see it explode into the conversation with such an unbelievable story. I have been amazed by the stories I have been hearing coming out of Woodbridge for months now, and it makes me feel very lucky that my neighborhood isn't experiencing a similar crime surge. Punks and cocky thugs have been preying on people in that area left and right. Be warned, not scared, just warned and on guard. I am certainly glad that the police shot that guy, hopefully it will deter other criminals for at least awhile.

Maybe it would be a good idea for the good folks of Woodbridge to form a neighborhood watch or maybe start their own online forum so that neighbors can share information about the incidents going on in the neighborhood. People who are not home very often or don't speak to their neighbors may not know about the stuff going on.

The Detroit police did an excellent job. Keep it up!

hopefully the police response/cooperation will improve in all areas of the city..

Bumble,

Are you specifically talking about those Hipster party invasions I mentioned?

I didn't bring them up yet, because I had heard of two stories from direct friends, one who lost what little money he had and a cell phone...but he moved to Los Angeles for work and I cannot follow up with him yet.

But whenever I mentioned them to others who live there, it seems EVERYONE had their own story...but they weren't adding them up as a trend, oddly.

I hope and pray the crime spree ends and that these were the bastards who were dong them...they have at least four in their crew...if it is one group.

Cheers, somehow...

Gannon & Bumble, could you elaborate on any of the incidents you mention? I ask because a few things have happened to my friends and I on our porches, which I sort of wrote off as random.

One particular case involved two people coming on my friends' porch to try and sell us cheap sunglasses, and then became more and more threatening until we just went inside. Coincidentally [[or not), the bottom-floor apartment of that house had a brick thrown through their window and some stuff grabbed that night.

I am genuinely concerned if others are experiencing more crime in Woodbridge too. Like Bumble said, this might we need to do more to keep our neighborhood safe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast