Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Downtown To Get A Movie Theater?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

Dry cleaners, hair salons, drug stores, and yes, a theater, sound like nice amenities to have in a residential area.

How about including a synopsis of the article, when you link to something behind a paywall. Then maybe other people will play along

Emagine Entertainment Inc. is looking to bring a megaplex theater to downtown Detroit.Co-founder and Chairman Paul Glantz said the Troy-based company is evaluating two undisclosed sites, one that would be a new construction and one that would entail renovation of an existing building.
    He estimates the investment will be in the range of $15 million and said he's more inclined to locate the new theater near residential development as opposed to commercial development.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    How about including a synopsis of the article, when you link to something behind a paywall. Then maybe other people will play along
    Ndavies... all those Crain's paywalls can be gotten around by simply Googling "Crain's Detroit" + a few keywords about the article heading.

For example Googling "Crain's Detroit Movie Theatre"... will return the full article.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post

Nah, pay the money for the article. Tired of people wanting free articles. We work and get this information not for free, we make a living doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

Dry cleaners, hair salons, drug stores, and yes, a theater, sound like nice amenities to have in a residential area.

"Emagine Entertainment Inc. is looking to bring a megaplex theater to downtown Detroit.
    Co-founder and Chairman Paul Glantz said the Troy-based company is evaluating two undisclosed sites, one that would be a new construction and one that would entail renovation of an existing building.
    He estimates the investment will be in the range of $15 million and said he's more inclined to locate the new theater near residential development as opposed to commercial development".

Emagine - Nice

Sorry, I should have maybe extracted a paragraph or two.

What does 15M buy?

Curious what is the status of the Bonstelle theater?

An Emagine behind the Fox Theater would've been a perfect location for it. Now it has me wondering, no space in downtown really...midtown is more of the residential neighborhood they want to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    An Emagine behind the Fox Theater would've been a perfect location for it. Now it has me wondering, no space in downtown really...midtown is more of the residential neighborhood they want to be in.
    And on Woodward? I would assume a theater would want frontage on the main street, if possible.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-23-17 at 02:02 PM.

And on Woodward? I would assume a theater would want frontage on the main street, if possible.
    There's a spot kitty corner from the new arena and across the new business school on woodward. big empty plot of land that I think could possibly fit a decent size movie theater? a la the Palladium Birmingham [[it may have renamed)

woodward btwn alfred and edmund?

who knows.. there's plenty of empty land behind the fox// cass park area // brush park so they have good choices

very excited that they're bringing one downtown though!

What about that vacant lot where the people mover loops when it goes to the David Witney Buildling?

It's over on Clifford St, Bagley Ave, Park Ave, and Washington Blvd.

There's nothing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    What about that vacant lot where the people mover loops when it goes to the David Witney Buildling?

It's over on Clifford St, Bagley Ave, Park Ave, and Washington Blvd.

There's nothing there.
    LOL That's going to be those well-talked about and reviled apartments.

Though what about the Hotel Tuller site?

That's the Statler site and its under development.

How about someone near Brush Park? There's empty land between Brush Park and Eastern Market.

Woodward Alfred/Edmund very high visibility location.

Or maybe Woodward/Simpson??? Isn't development there stalled?

Woodward Alfred/Edmund very high visibility location.
    Or maybe Woodward/Simpson??? Isn't development there stalled?
    Steve, the Woodward/Mack/Myrtle/Stimson area would certainly be probably...the proposed retail location just north of the Bonstelle is far from dead...The Edmund/Alfred area, of course, is the new LCA complex and the east side of Bruch Park is the City Modern residential. I doubt they would build far off Woodward as the available space would be essentially east of Beaubien, north of I75 ---wanting the visibility of the main drag. Since no site is apparently determined [[or being kept under wraps at this point) time will tell. Something like this could certainly be part of the District Detroit development. Keep in mind that district boundaries dovetail south to Bagley and include the United Artists buiding.

I have suggested in my other post that the old United Artists Theatre or the Loyal Order of Moose buildings might, IMHO might be options. No inside track on this one. I believe the Moose bldg. is within the boundary of the District.
    Last edited by detroitbob; June-24-17 at 12:50 AM.

I think a theater would be great.

I'm guessing the existing building they're talking about is the Ren Cen? I don't know what the state of the theater space is in there or how many screens it was [[or how many screens the emagine theater will have) but it's the only place I can think of that could serve the purpose.

Near the arena makes sense for them for new construction. The arena has that kind of soccer mom approved family fun character that they would find desirable, it's right by the residential areas that they want, but it's also very close to downtown. It's close to the Fox, Fillmore, and Masonic Temple theaters if they want to contextualize it as being part of a theater or entertainment district. It's right by two high schools and it's still accessible to WSU by the Q-Line. And I think the wheels would be greased for that location over others.

Ugh the RenCen would be such a bad location. I'm sure they would make the actual theater nice, but it would be a shame to hide such a nice development in that bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Ugh the RenCen would be such a bad location. I'm sure they would make the actual theater nice, but it would be a shame to hide such a nice development in that bunker.
    Ren Cen was until several years ago the home of a 3 screen complex...never successful over the years. Closed more than open and finally remodelled out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Ren Cen was until several years ago the home of a 3 screen complex...never successful over the years. Closed more than open and finally remodelled out of existence.
    Things like movie theaters should be open, inviting, etc. I have been to the Ren Cen I think once and didn't find it inviting. Never went back. The Hudsons's site proposed building, OTOH, is the opposite, literally inviting people to come inside.

I think the most 'inviting' location is the Woodward/Edmund/Alfred parcel for all the reasons indicated. Folks living between Mack/Fisher could walk to it. Others from Downtown, WSU, New Center, etc. could take the QLine.

Wouldn't it be neat for WSU students living on/near campus to have a nearby theater for a Saturday night date?

It would fill a parcel which needs to be filled and would seem consistent with the LCA area.

It could also encourage someone to develop the N.W. corner of Temple/Wooward parcel which I assume is still owned by the vets' organization [[better than surface parking). Is that parcel begging for a Starbucks or similar type establishment? [[hang at the Starbucks before going to the movies or LCA?).
    Last edited by emu steve; June-24-17 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Considering I worked in the RenCen a year before coming across the theaters, I'd say that would be a poor choice.

Bonstelle would be my choice especially with the rumored adjacent Target.

How about New Center? Near Fisher Building? Lots of empty space by Q LINE stops and area will be residential soon.

The Bonstelle Theatre is currently WSU's undergraduate live theatre venue.

It was designed as Temple Beth-El synagogue in 1903 by Albert Kahn, and was remodeled by C. Howard Crane in the late 1920s [[he added a stage house in the back). This historic venue would be desecrated if it were to be multiplexed....

Here's an idea.... take the old Fine Arts Building facade on W. Adams on GCP... and build a 5 story building behind the historic surviving facade. The Fine Arts Building was [[besides offices above) the entrance to the former Adams Theatre [[razed by Ilitch's)... which was on W. Elizabeth [[one street north of Adams).

They could build a new multiplex theatre on the site of the Adams auditorium, and use the Fine Arts Building entrance as the lobby... recreating the "Alley Jumper" style that the Adams theatre used to have... having some of the multiplex's theatres entranceway tunnel under the alley [[between Adams and Elizabeth)... and other multiplex theatres crossing over at a 2nd level skyway, thus stacking some of the theatres on top of each other.

Having the Emagine Theatre megaplex directly on West Grand Circus Park would make it close to residential towers... Broderick, Whitney, United Artists, Kales, Milner, Village Green, and also many residential buildings on Woodward and Washington Blvd.
    Last edited by Gistok; June-23-17 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Bonstelle Theatre is currently WSU's undergraduate live theatre venue.

It was designed as Temple Beth-El synagogue in 1903 by Albert Kahn, and was remodeled by C. Howard Crane in the late 1920s [[he added a stage house in the back). This historic venue would be desecrated if it were to be multiplexed....

Here's an idea.... take the old Fine Arts Building facade on W. Adams on GCP... and build a 5 story building behind the historic surviving facade. The Fine Arts Building was [[besides offices above) the entrance to the former Adams Theatre [[razed by Ilitch's)... which was on W. Elizabeth [[one street north of Adams).

They could build a new multiplex theatre on the site of the Adams auditorium, and use the Fine Arts Building entrance as the lobby... recreating the "Alley Jumper" style that the Adams theatre used to have... having some of the multiplex's theatres entranceway tunnel under the alley [[between Adams and Elizabeth)... and other multiplex theatres crossing over at a 2nd level skyway, thus stacking some of the theatres on top of each other.

Having the Emagine Theatre megaplex directly on West Grand Circus Park would make it close to residential towers... Broderick, Whitney, United Artists, Kales, Milner, Village Green, and also many residential buildings on Woodward and Washington Blvd.

love the idea. Wish it would come to fruition

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

I also love this idea. It would restore some Ilitch family / Olympia karma after what they did to the Adams. They clearly have no better plans for the site.

HistoricDetroit.org has a nice history of the Adams, including how it met its demise. Common knowledge worth remembering:

Adams Theatre
    http://www.historicdetroit.org/building/adams-theatre/

"The Adams Theatre was a 1,770-seat theater designed by famed architect C. Howard Crane as a playhouse for John Kunsky’s chain of entertainment venues. It opened Sept. 1, 1917, with a stage performance called “Romance.”...

Real estate tycoon, sports team owner and pizza mogul Mike Ilitch bought the closed Adams from the Higbie family and adjoining Fine Arts Building in 1992. Around this time, he started buying up everything and anything near the Fox in anticipation of building a new ballpark for his Detroit Tigers near his Foxtown empire. As early as May 1994, Atanas Ilitch said the family was working on a plan to revive the Adams.

Tigers spokesman Tom Shields told the Free Press in November 1995 that Ilitch would renovate the Adams and the Grand Army of the Republic Building. "The Ilitches plan to fully develop their properties" near the stadium, Shields told the paper. "They certainly hope everybody else does the same.” The developments of those structures, as well as the Ilitch-owned United Artists Theatre, the Chin Tiki, the Detroit Life Building, Moose Lodge, Fine Arts Building and three other structures in the area, have never happened.

Taxpayers pay to raze the Adams

The Adams continued to fall into a state of unsalvageable disrepair. Its roof over the stage had failed, leaving gaping holes for years that allowed the elements to destroy much of the auditorium. What the weather didn't ruin, scrappers and vandals did. The theater's rusted marquee on Grand Circus Park was removed in 1999. By 2006, the Fine Arts and Adams were boarded up and written off as a lost cause, the renovation by Ilitch a forgotten promise.

In April 2009, Detroit hosted the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four at nearby Ford Field. Ilitch, a man worth an estimated $1.6 billion in 2008 by Forbes Magazine, had the city's Downtown Development Authority give him $2.5 million in state-funded grants to tear down six of his rundown buildings: the Chin Tiki, the Elizabeth Street Lofts, the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, the 135 Elizabeth parking garage — and the Adams and Fine Arts Building. The $2.5 million was money left over from funding for cleaning up the city ahead of the 2006 Super Bowl that was hosted at Ford Field.

DDA board member Ted Gatzaros voted against giving Ilitch taxpayer money for the demolitions, telling Crain's Detroit Business that "we need to prioritize where we apply money." But the allocation was approved anyway, and some of the cleared sites were then turned into surface parking lots where people paid $20 and up.

The Adams started coming down on May 28, 2009, as an excavator tore into the back of the theater on the Grand Circus Park side. Work went fast, as two days later, a huge chunk was taken out of the theater's roof and by May 31, about half the Adams was gone. It would be completely gone by the end of June. Seats, the projector, popcorn machines and other relics from the Adams' past were gobbled up by wrecking equipment and tossed into Dumpsters. Demolition of the Fine Arts began once the Adams was removed from the landscape.

Fortunately, Ilitch's Olympia Development picked up an estimated $500,000 stabilization of the Fine Arts Building's façade. Unfortunately, Olympia has said it had no plans before demolition — and no plans for the façade afterward either. Atanas Ilitch, now president of Olympia Development, said in a statement: "We are confident that the façade of the historic Fine Arts Building can be preserved and ultimately integrated into a new development that will occupy the site at some point in the future.

If development does happen, a little piece of the Adams will live on; others fear that the façade will either collapse accidentally or the Ilitches will give up and have it razed like the rest of the buildings."

That DDA again.

Off topic: Something doesn't feel right about an unelected non-governmental committee repeatedly putting so much tax money into megarich hands. And for very questionable benefit to the city. In this case its hard to argue it wasn't to its detriment. No surprise they're almost entirely a bunch of rich dudes themselves.

I don't believe in the trickle down theory but I'll bet the next step for a lot of that megarich dude money is into rich dude hands. That's natural without bribery.

Sure wish citizens, journalists, citizen advocates, and actual elected officials would give that a closer look.
    Last edited by bust; June-27-17 at 01:58 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast