Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    A Cadillac is just a trim change from another product.
    Definitely not worth the price, the standards are no tighter or better

Trump is a whiner, I have little respect the guy
    True.
    True.
    True.

Entire posts checks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I guess in theory as VW is owned by BMW it would stand to reason that criticizing the parent would also include the children.
    VW is NOT owned by BMW

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    VW is NOT owned by BMW

Yes,we cleared that up a few pages back.

They are joining forces to provide compatible charging stations,unlike Tesla and thier proprietary systems.

Which is probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    A Cadillac is just a trim change from another product.
    Hah! So what's the Chevy or Buick version of the CT6?

I think you are getting your information from 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Hah! So what's the Chevy or Buick version of the CT6?

I think you are getting your information from 30 years ago.
    He's not wrong.

*Cadillac CTS and ATS = Chevrolet Camaro [[Alpha platform)

*Cadillac XTS = Chevrolet Malibu [[Epsilon Platform)

*Cadillac XT5 = GMC Acadia / Chevrolet Traverse [[Crossover platform)

*Cadillac Escalade = GMC Yukon / Chevrolet Suburban [[T1XX platform)

And the CT6 is a very poor example to counter his statement, given it's the *only* Cadillac model built on GM's platform that's only for Cadillac [[and thus, it's an exception to the rule).
    Last edited by 313WX; June-16-17 at 11:32 PM.

Goodness.... just musical chairs! No wonder I don't drive GM products!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Goodness.... just musical chairs! No wonder I don't drive GM products!
    Ford, Toyota, Nissan, etc. do it as well.

Oh, yeah I hear you on that, you're right. But it seems GM and Chrysler do it to a extreme deficit level re. quality, IMO.

Remember that clickity-clack, short-life silly engine that Chrysler kept putting in varied platforms of cars/ vans? It had a notorious water/ sludge/ overheating issue ala an oil-and-water mix [[never a good time) etc. What was that engine called?

Right now I drive old Toyota's and Fords. Would consider a Buick but who can afford new with the insurance rates?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-17-17 at 12:52 PM.

^^^ It was those janky 3.5 and 2L V6 etc. Chrysler engines!

They [[Chrysler and Dodge) rolled those things across their various models for a few years there...

http://www.chryslerproblems.com/trends/oil-sludge/

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t4347_ds531478

I look for longevity of the motor and crash safety first when I choose a car. Forget the crap and other recent under-engineering from some of these car manufacturers.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-17-17 at 12:19 PM.

Oh, yeah I hear you on that, you're right. But it seems GM and Chrysler do it to a extreme deficit level re. quality, IMO

Right now I drive old Toyota's and Fords. Would consider a Buick but who can afford new with the insurance rates?
    I decided to go with a new Cadillac,even though it is a 1962 it will be new to me.

For the most part,new cars seen to look like a bunch of computer generated look alikes,just rebadged.

I was following a Ford SUV the other day and from the back,when I first saw it,I thought it was a Range Rover.

It used to be you looked at a car and immediately could tell what brand it was.

I hear you on old car as in 'new' to you. All of my recent cars have been over 10+ years old at time of my purchase!

I did buy a brand new 1987 GMC Jimmy,the little mini blazer.

At 1500 miles I was driving and the alternator fell off,the big aluminum mounting bracket broke in half.Dealer said 1 week to get it back,so I drove two hours to the factory parts depot,bought it and changed it in the parking lot.

2500 miles I was driving it and the power steering pump fell off,same reason that the alternator did,drove the 2 hours again.

I took the fan blade and clutch assembly off and converted it to electric cooling fans,and never had a problem after that,got better mileage and a bit more HP to boot.

As I get older I do not want anything that I cannot fix myself.

When I had my mechanic shop in the early 90s,I think it was in excess of 45,000 $ I paid for the computer diagnostics machine that still had to be linked with the factory.I rarely even used it.

To much technology and getting away from the KISS aspect.

I have a 1946 chev 1 ton truck that spent most of its life on a farm in upstate Michigan,it has 50,000 miles and 6 volt system.No matter how long it sits,I pump the gas pedal 3 times and it fires right up.

It is simple,it goes forward and backward,hauls a lot of stuff,cheap parts and easy to fix without a bunch of special tools.Things just become complicated for no reason.
    Last edited by Richard; June-17-17 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    He's not wrong.

*Cadillac CTS and ATS = Chevrolet Camaro [[Alpha platform)

*Cadillac XTS = Chevrolet Malibu [[Epsilon Platform)

*Cadillac XT5 = GMC Acadia / Chevrolet Traverse [[Crossover platform)

*Cadillac Escalade = GMC Yukon / Chevrolet Suburban [[T1XX platform)

And the CT6 is a very poor example to counter his statement, given it's the *only* Cadillac model built on GM's platform that's only for Cadillac [[and thus, it's an exception to the rule).

You mean like Toyota and Lexus, Honda and Acura, or Volkswagen and Audi?

^^^ Toyota and Lexus for sure as expressed in for example the Camry XLE [[the highest end of the Camry luxury class) edition which is actually on some levels the 'not so rich' cousin to the standard Lexus.

But here we're talking about fairly good quality and durability of both -- not a deficit issue ala the similarities. But the price is a problem considering how much more the Lexus automobile costs!

Right! Too old and you've got components at large coming to the end of life. Stupid things start to go like brake lines rusting owing to our corrosive winters! Or shock towers rusting thru... etc.

My last older car had the timing chain/belt changed just before it was sold. That was one less big ticket item I'd NOT have to think about as the car enters the second half of its engine life.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I did buy a brand new 1987 GMC Jimmy,the little mini blazer.

At 1500 miles I was driving and the alternator fell off,the big aluminum mounting bracket broke in half.Dealer said 1 week to get it back,so I drove two hours to the factory parts depot,bought it and changed it in the parking lot.....
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-18-17 at 12:11 PM.

^^^ Toyota and Lexus for sure as expressed in for example the Camry XLE [[the highest end of the Camry luxury class) edition which is actually on some levels the 'not so rich' cousin to the standard Lexus.

But here we're talking about fairly good quality and durability of both -- not a deficit issue ala the similarities. But the price is a problem considering how much more the Lexus automobile costs!
    If price is a problem then it's a problem. It has nothing to do with the fact that a LOT of parts are interchangeable on both makes, and on one brand they're less expensive than on the other. As far as leaders in quality, maybe that was true 20 years ago but as of late the playing field has been leveled and they've also had their share of recalls. I owned 2 Honda's and will never buy another one. My current "all American" purchase was based on the fact that anyone I talked to that owned that particular vehicle, had boatloads of miles with few unscheduled maintenance issues. We'll see... Owned a Mitsubishi and the rubber timing belt broke, what a mess! I'll never own another car with a rubber timing belt. Unless it's a Ford Pinto. You can change those in the bar parking lot @ 2:30 a.m. and drive them home!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-18-17 at 08:44 AM.

I hear that... I think my comments on one level are how I leverage risks and success in buying used cars vs. what I'd do if I could afford a NEWcar!

Re. buying used I basically purchase what I see on the road 'running faithfully' relative to longevity as evidence that the car at least starts when key is inserted! Bridging this with my tastes for the style I like. I read reviews and talk to technicians about details/ trends of repair. They know the reoccurring complaints and engineering flaws etc.

Having said that any car can be a tinker-mobile lemon and if you're on the used car market as I am, inter-changeability of parts is VERY important as you'll need parts reasonably so the car ages.

This is why I've never owned European used cars, ever. I can't afford them.

As you mention there's some 'leveling' out with newer cars. I'd take that into account were I in the position to purchase new. The inter-changeability of parts would not be as crucial in the purchase of a new car -- one should hope......!

'Rubber' timing belt?
    That had to be fun. I just cannot buy a Mitsu. Drove a few as rentals - not well made. I prefer my old Mitsubishi Tubed TV to their cars.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-18-17 at 12:10 PM.

BMW is Pledging a 600 million investment in the southern US plant and adding an additional 1000 jobs.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN19H1LS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5