Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Time to revisit this thread.

Since I last posted, Ontario has a new government, which froze the minimum wage at $14CAD

Today, The Toronto Star published a column discussing this and indicting the government for freezing the minimum.

In the course of said column, several US examples were given, including NYC at $15USD per hour [[roughly $20CAD) and Seattle which has just gone to $16USD [[21.25CAD) as their minimum wages with little or adverse impact on the economy or employment.

Also noted was that despite apocalyptic baffle gab from big business, not only did Ontario not lose any jobs in the year following the increase to $14CAD, it actually gained over 77,000 jobs.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/politics/pol...es-of-sin.html

Also of note since last discussing this topic is that minimum wage hikes were indeed on the verge of passing via ballot initiative in Michigan; such that the legislature preempted and passed them instead.

I must confess I did not see the sneaky, duplicitous move by lame duck Republicans to repudiate their own law and the desire of the electorate.....

Sigh.
    Maybe Canada would have gained 150,000 jobs if the minimum wage was $10 an hour.

Perhaps the price of everything, from goods to services, has increased due to the increased minimum wage. I worked at Jimmy John's in the mid-2000's in Dearborn Heights. The day AFTER a minimum wage increase went into effect, the owner of that Jimmy Johns raised the price of all the sandwiches by 50 cents.

Just kind of playing devil's advocate.
    Last edited by masterblaster; January-11-19 at 05:48 PM.