Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Threads will invariably have a life of their own. I appreciate the varied views on illegal immigration, and might offer a comment in another thread about same.

But may I suggest this is wandering away from the subject just a bit.

I realize the candidate made a statement vis-a-vis sanctuary cities.......

I would add at this juncture that politicians of both parties and every apparent side of this issue have held office in the last few years, federally and at the state level. Seems to me, irrespective of one's position, little changes. So I'm not sure how much stock one should attach to this, either way.

Richard, I live in a so-called "sanctuary city", and I now full well the travails of the immigration process having gone through it myself with a foreign wife. I agree it's a PITA. But we nearly completely disagree about everything else.

You complain about "sanctuary cities" that provide health care to illegal immigrants but not Americans. You didn't back up the first part with any facts. As to the second part, your tea party governor and republican state legislature are responsible for that.

Rick Scott was one of the most outspoken governors against Obamacare. He turned down the $65.6 billion of federal money Florida was eligible to receive under Obamacare to insure more Floridians via Medicaid. How many Floridians lack health insurance so he could make that political point? Quite a few.

Florida has some of the most restrictive rules for who qualifies for Medicaid. You can't earn more than 30% the federal poverty level or you're on your own. That translates to $6,027 per year for a working parent in a family of three! Had Scott not turned it down, Obamacare would have elevated that to 138% the federal poverty level, which translates to $27,724.

Rick Scott did that and he and your state legislature set those rules. Mayors had nothing to do with it.

Florida leads nation in turning down Medicaid money
    http://politics.heraldtribune.com/20...edicaid-money/

Florida Struggles to Pay the Tab for Rejecting Obamacare

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...macare/392678/

Who Gets Medicaid in Florida?

http://www.fpi.institute/who-gets-medicaid-in-florida/

Yeah that's F-ed up. You fail to realize why. Maybe you should elect a better governor or move to a better state.
    Last edited by bust; May-17-17 at 11:00 PM.

I could not care less about a political leader's religious beliefs. The whole separation of church and State thing as me always hoping that people will not legislate according to whatever dogma they prescribe to.

having said that, as a muslim, I really wish this dude and other muslims would just get out of the political limelight. We are about 1% of the population and get way too much press [[overwhelmingly negative), and I really do not want to hear more stories of a secret sinister plan by American muslims trying to implement sharia law here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehamm45 View Post
    I could not care less about a political leader's religious beliefs. The whole separation of church and State thing as me always hoping that people will not legislate according to whatever dogma they prescribe to.

having said that, as a muslim, I really wish this dude and other muslims would just get out of the political limelight. We are about 1% of the population and get way too much press [[overwhelmingly negative), and I really do not want to hear more stories of a secret sinister plan by American muslims trying to implement sharia law here.

I think that people agree with the seperation of church and state but are also aware that many are driven by the beliefs and values that their particular religion taught them and realize that it is hard to leave it at the door on entry.

In a large part,this country has been governed by Christianity,although we were founded on religious freedom,there seems to be a basic combination of religions that govern us.

Moving on to the Muslim aspect,I think the posters that replied that they would be more interested in the candidates religious leanings kinda hits the nail on the head and not so much as him being a Muslim per-say.

President Trump makes it clear in saying radical Muslims and not all Muslims,most are intelligent enough to realize that there is a form of radical in every religion.

I also think there is a major confusion with Muslims.

I am business partners with some Muslims and I live in a city that has a large section of Muslims from a variety of different Muslim countries.

I am trying to keep this somewhat simple.

What I find and I think that most do not recognize is that there are different forms of the faith or followings that are followed.

Example,one partner has been in this country over 30 years,he follows call to prayer to the second,no alcohol,pork,or even when he comes to my house he will not get out of the car because dogs are not allowed to touch him.

He is from Pakistan.

Another from Turkey,follows call to prayer,no alcohol,but has no problems with pork or dogs.

The immigration lottery recipients here is huge.

So in essence much like Christianity there seems to be different levels of devotion and just as if a highly devoted Christian in office by teachings would make decisions based on or leaning towards his or her beliefs just as a Muslim would.

I also notice the younger generation is becoming Americanized fast so to me anyways another 20 years from now none of this will matter anyways.

I live in a diverse city and the different enclaves of immigrants are similar to the early immigrants of this country,they band together for support and common ground in a strange country while they learn the ropes then migrate out.

The media dramatizes for impact and there are those that feed off of that drama,politions have to have thick skin because they are going to be under the spotlight.

A Muslim politician is going to have to be like everybody else in The country they want it bad enough they are going to have to suck it up and fight for it.In this case maybe go the extra step and make it clear as to his or her leanings.

Thats not to say they should not run but given currant times they just have a bigger hill to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Richard, I live in a so-called "sanctuary city", and I now full well the travails of the immigration process having gone through it myself with a foreign wife. I agree it's a PITA. But we nearly completely disagree about everything else.

You complain about "sanctuary cities" that provide health care to illegal immigrants but not Americans. You didn't back up the first part with any facts. As to the second part, your tea party governor and republican state legislature are responsible for that.

Rick Scott was one of the most outspoken governors against Obamacare. He turned down the $65.6 billion of federal money Florida was eligible to receive under Obamacare to insure more Floridians via Medicaid. How many Floridians lack health insurance so he could make that political point? Quite a few.

Florida has some of the most restrictive rules for who qualifies for Medicaid. You can't earn more than 30% the federal poverty level or you're on your own. That translates to $6,027 per year for a working parent in a family of three! Had Scott not turned it down, Obamacare would have elevated that to 138% the federal poverty level, which translates to $27,724.

Rick Scott did that and he and your state legislature set those rules. Mayors had nothing to do with it.

Florida leads nation in turning down Medicaid money
    http://politics.heraldtribune.com/20...edicaid-money/

Florida Struggles to Pay the Tab for Rejecting Obamacare

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...macare/392678/

Who Gets Medicaid in Florida?

http://www.fpi.institute/who-gets-medicaid-in-florida/

Yeah that's F-ed up. You fail to realize why. Maybe you should elect a better governor or move to a better state.
    Sigh.

FTR I am an independent.

The federal government does not hand out money without strings attached.If the strings attached outweigh the outcome.

The major voting block in Florida is comprised of retired northerners so they vote like they did in Michigan or Minnesota etc. so in theory it is your neighbors that left are the ones who voted Mr Scott in.

Florida is one of the biggest Medicaid fraud states in the country,so it goes to reason that there will be restrictions and limits placed.

If you researched a bit more you will find that the governor made millions off of Medicaid as most would prefer to say fraudulently.

So it would stand to reason if he is turning down more Medicaid monies it is because the demands outweighed the millions more he could have made.

Florida and more so south Florida was the pill capital of the United States ,so what do you do?

Throw more taxpayer money at it or tighten the ropes and rein it in?

The doctors alone were taking in over 20 billion a year just in pills,do you feel comfortable with or asking your neighbors to pay for Floridas pill mill doctors?

I am 100% rail advocate,he also turned down the federal funding during the Obama administration for the light rail that was to run from Orlando to Tampa that I would have used,and as much as I personally hate it I realize that you do not sell your soul for a dollar.

Refugees are placed in cities by the federal government with no recourse but the local government is responsible for the healthcare for both refugees and illegal immigrants.

It is paid through Medicaid/Medicare as of right now the monies are payed for by the taxpayers of the state of Florida.

That is a huge cost outlay in clinics,staffing,medications,emergency services etc.

So the federal gov says okay that is a lot of money to come up with so we are going to be your buddy and help you out,here is 65 billion dollars to help you out but there is a catch because you are excepting these funds it now entitles us to unfretted excess for relocation and relaxed immigration enforcement.

So okay we take the money and Florida which all ready has a massive illegal immigrant situation is now flush with cash for their Medicare program.

Then a year down the road John up in Michigan says,hey screw that why should I have to pay for Florida and the funding gets cut off but yet now because the gates were open we are double the immigrants and refugees and less to pay for it.Who pays for it then?

Local taxes go up to the point where people leave, further increasing the taxes on those left which is not enough to cover costs,so the cities go bankrupt.

Where have we seen that before?

The Feds gave the auto makers 15 billion dollars on the bailout,the deal was that they had to start producing smart cars or no money,so we paid 15 billion dollars for a few smart cars.

Point is there is not now or never been money for nothing.

Proof of city clinics ? You guys keep posting links for me to follow I just kinda figured you would also be able to search city clinics and do some research on your own and learn how the real world operates outside of bubbles. Besides my posts are long enough can you imangine if I started adding 20 links of 30 second searches.

All this whining about 5600 people?

http://media.miamiherald.com/static/...eCountries.svg

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Pedro witnesses a murder and has critical information about it. He goes to the police and tells them what he saw. Because of the circumstances, the police think that Pedro is an illegal immigrant. Should the police:

A. Take his information, then grill him about his immigration status, eventually resulting in his deportation.

B. Thank him for his help, and let him be on his way.
    Under those circumstances, the question should never be asked, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I don't care if a politician is a Muslim or Christian.

I would prefer they be neither, at least publicly. I don't care what they do or believe personally as long as they keep it personal and out of government.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And your problem with this is what? Lack of body shaming and photoshopped bodies on the subway?
    If he was a Christian, would this be seen as a problem?
    Yes, if it was a religion based objection.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    All this whining about 5600 people?

http://media.miamiherald.com/static/...eCountries.svg
    Funny numbers .. this link counts 5821 in the last year,Tampa started hosting refugees when the gulf war started. DHS is the one that handles that aspect and you get the numbers that they give you.That number does not even address political asylum.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/syr...fornia-n639481

So Florida rejects 63 billion dollars ,there you go,take 20 billion of that to Detroit and sweep through and find every person,high school diploma or not that wants to learn a trade and cover their expenses while training,there is 63 billion sitting there so what is the hold up?

We can find 63 billion dollars to help others but when it comes to our own there is not enough funding.

110,000,000 estimated working Americans,Florida governor made a decision that effected each and every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Refugees are placed in cities by the federal government with no recourse but the local government is responsible for the healthcare for both refugees and illegal immigrants.

It is paid through Medicaid/Medicare as of right now the monies are payed for by the taxpayers of the state of Florida.

That is a huge cost outlay in clinics,staffing,medications,emergency services etc.

So the federal gov says okay that is a lot of money to come up with so we are going to be your buddy and help you out,here is 65 billion dollars to help you out but there is a catch because you are excepting these funds it now entitles us to unfretted excess for relocation and relaxed immigration enforcement.
    It would be better if you dealt in facts.

Here is the biggest fact you get wrong. Obamacare has nothing to do with refugees other than the fact some of those refugees may be eligible for assistance via Medicaid or CHIP.

Office of Refugee Resettlement : Health Insurance
    https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/health

Accepting 65 billon dollars to provide insurance to hundreds of thousands if not millions of additional Floridians would not have led to increased refugee numbers. Those things are unrelated.

Meanwhile, 94% of Florida's refugees are from Cuba. They have been there for many years.

Office of Refugee Resettlement : 2015 Served Populations by State and Country of Origin [[all served populations)
    https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/resource...-refugees-only

It may not seem like it to you, but Florida hasn't accepted very many refugees for a long time.

The graphic you shared showed Florida received about 1300 total refugees in 2016 and the US as a whole about 43,000. So Florida took 3.0% of all refugees. But Florida holds 6.3% of the US population. So even after accepting a "surge" in refugees Florida took in less than half of its per capita share.

Estimating from your graphic, Florida received only about 2400 refugees over the five years prior and the US took in about 127,000 over the same time. Florida took in only 1.9% those years. That's less than a third of their per capita share.

2016 refugees
    1300 Florida refugees / 43,000 US refugees = 3.0% Florida share

2011-2015 refugees
    2400 Florida refugees / 127,000 US refugees = 1.9% Florida share

Florida percentage of the US population
    20,270,000 Florida residents / 321,400,000 US residents = 6.3% Florida share

Here's a map you might find interesting. It's by the Refugee Processing Center [[RPC), which is operated by the U.S. Department of State [[DOS) Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration [[PRM):

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+Map5.5.17.pdf

I found it here:

U.S. Department of State Refugee Processing Center - Admissions and Arrivals

http://www.wrapsnet.org/admissions-and-arrivals/

It illustrates how many refugees have been resettled per state from October 1, 2016 through April 30, 2017. Florida took in 1349.

Just for comparison, Michigan received more than 3 times as many per capita:

[[2121 refugees resettled in Michigan / 9,923,000 Michigan population) / [[1349 refugees resettled in Florida / 20,270,000 Florida population)

Interesting:

Just 10 states resettled more than half of recent refugees to U.S.
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...fugees-to-u-s/

Florida is not on that list. North Carolina is. North Carolina is another state that rejected Medicaid expansion under Obamacare.

At least they learned from their mistake:

N.C. governor pledges to immediately expand Medicaid under Obamacare
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/n-c-gove...der-obamacare/

Facts, Richard. But most people find facts boring. Unfortunately, emotion shapes public opinion and determines how most people vote.

Meanwhile my mom had the good fortune to work closely for many years with a refugee who was resettled to Hamtramck from a war torn country. She was a great person, excellent worker, and way overqualified for her job. She and her husband have become close family friends over the years. They've contributed far more to their adopted American community than they've received. That's just one example, but when people talk about refugees why are the stories almost never like that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bust; May-18-17 at 01:58 PM.

Lol you guys and your facts ..

You like links and had stated through you links 5000 refugees last year but neglect to include like I said they have been bringing them here before the gulf war.

Over the past two years, 43,184 refugees have resettled in Florida, according to the federal government, compared to 16,714 in California, 15,002 in Texas and 8,879 in New York.

http://www.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/number-of-syrian-refugees-arriving-in-tampa-area-jumps-20150915/

That was in two years,when was the gulf war?

The whole discussion was started about health care and illegal immigrants and how it is paid for,refugees and political asylum is a whole different ball game as they are provided with DHS ID that once presented gives them Medicare/ medicade.

Illeagls only need to show up at the clinic for health id,which is funded by the state of Florida which in turn is funded by the taxpayers of Florida.which you would be hard pressed to find facts on because it is a protect system.

And you guys are pissy because we did not take the money so we can have more of the same??

Your opening paragraph disputes your whole theory and admits the facts show that refugees qualify for Medicaid.

Facts show 985,000 reported illegal immigrants in fla that can be counted,big difference there because if you are here illegally you shurly are not going to be standing in a line to be counted.

That is over and above of providing every man,woman,and child in Detroit with full blown free health care.

See how that works,campaign for free health care while funding and providing it to everybody but Americans,guess what Americans are paying for it but not receiving it.

Before all of this Obama care started Florida was already and has been funding the healthcare of illegals,there is or was nobody in the state denied heath care other then veterans,because the city clinics were always advailable.

So why would the state create 65 billion dollars of debt for the rest of the country over something that did not exist to begin with,the answer is simple.

Fix the immigration system and stop looking for ways to generate revenue for a few at the expense of everybody else.

Or send the 65 billion to Michigan along with over 2 million illegals and let you guys deal with it.

You think it is bad being under the thumb of the state,try being under the thumb of the federal government,you will not like it because generic solutions do not fix local problems.

You can research and fact find everything that you want to know about parachuting but until you strap one on and jump,you really have no clue.
    Last edited by Richard; May-18-17 at 04:00 PM.

Yes the 5K number rang odd soon as I read it.... the cumulative number since the Golf War does seem to emerge.

....You like links and had stated through you links 5000 refugees last year but neglect to include like I said they have been bringing them here before the gulf war.

Over the past two years, 43,184 refugees have resettled in Florida, according to the federal government, compared to 16,714 in California, 15,002 in Texas and 8,879 in New York.

http://www.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/number-of-syrian-refugees-arriving-in-tampa-area-jumps-20150915/

That was in two years,when was the gulf war?

Speaking of priorities, and over-staying visas, we need to deal with the over-stay issue first - immediately.

Further, all illegals serving time in our jails for felonious charges need to be sent back once their sentence is over. But, like most options the red tape and politics will choke that idea!

We don't have the money for a wall and Mexico is not going to front it. They like things as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I choose to treat these people in a humane fashion as people seeking to better their lives while looking at the situation as complex. You get upset because they don't speak English...

Let's build that wall though. That'll stop the vast majority of people who have overstayed their visas. Right?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-19-17 at 09:17 PM.

Your source is Tampa Bay Online. That article was from September 2015. Here is their front page today:

Name:  tbo_2017-05-18.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  70.5 KB

Almost entirely dedicated to Survivor. Lots of photos. Bare chest. Must be nothing else going on in the world today, right? Uh, wait:

Name:  wapo_2017-05-18.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  104.7 KB

Let's look at what the federal government says. The agency responsible for refugee resettlement.

2480 refugees were resettled in Florida in 2015.
    3519 refugees were resettled in Florida in 2014.

Maybe were you get your "facts" is the problem. I'm genuinely interested how the numbers you cited from Tampa Bay Online can be so drastically different from the ones published by the government agency in charge of refugee resettlement. Can you explain?
    Last edited by bust; May-18-17 at 10:52 PM.

Lets get a Movie Star, a Television Star or a Sports Star for governor !!!!

That qualifies people right ? C'mon it happens all over the USA.
    Didn't the USA elect one of those for President --- twice now --?

If a woman gets raped by a man, let's downplay it by saying, "Well, most men wouldn't do that!".

Then, when a bunch of innocent civilians are killed by the bombs of extremist Muslims, let's downplay it by saying, "Well, most Muslims wouldn't do that!"

The 'moderates' are irrelevant. It's the actions of the extremists and aggressive radicals that has the effect. You cannot miminize the trauma and danger of one person's action by saying that another person would not have done the same thing. It's typical political/PC bullshit.

Gullibility in listening to politicians' promises and platitudes while they are 'on the campaign trail' is utter foolishness.

This is not a Detroit topic, perse'.

Islam is not merely a religion - it is an ideology and a political movement as well. Just a largely un-enlightened one.

Followers are exactly that - followers and sheeple.

Plenty will disagree with me - I don't care. My life is not a popularity contest.

Orthodox Islam has completely rejected Louis Farrakhan and his Nation of Islam. In other words, NOI is not formally or officially recognized as a legitimate branch of the Islamic faith, even though they claim to be. It's funny that Lou never mentions that pertinent fact. [[His crony Khalid Muhammad was even worse.)

Sadiq Khan, the current Muslim mayor of London, England, was a lawyer - a rather scruffy looking one at the time, I might add - who battled for years [[17 years to be precise) for Farrakhan to be given a visa to enter Britain and speak to his followers, none of whom ever arrived at the meeting hall in a Rolls Royce and silk suit [[like Farrakhan does) or a solid gold 18-karat Rolex watch [[like Khalid Muhammad wore).

Selling newspapers on the streets of Chicago just doesn't bring in those sums of money - even if you are a True Believer.

Farrakhan has nine kids and the only one likely or capable of taking over the reins after Farrakhan's next heart attack is his son Mustafa Farrakhan, a Chicago cop by day who can always be seen standing on stage behind Farakkhan at NOI meetings in their bullet-proof vests and ventriloquist dummy bow-tie suits.

His other sons are useless, one being a troubled drug-user and another never had a job until his late 40s.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't vote because they believe nothing happens without God's will. A vote for one politician or another therefore has no real impact or benefit to them. Yet 'grievance groups' like NOI and NBPP send forth their political representatives to play the blame-game and look for a convenient scapegoat [[and perpetrator) as though white people are members of a privileged secret society with dubious and sinister motives with only one objective of creating a downtrodden underclass with no fair chance at anything other than the taking of copious amounts of illicit drugs - an affliction that has plainly never affected any white people, of course.

You can tell me I'm wrong a thousand times, but I just don't see Islam having any place whatsoever in the 21st century world. I'm a skeptic and a thinker at the same time.

Feel free to disagree. Maybe I'm an intolerant idiot - or maybe the dogmatic Muslims are. This is not a Detroit topic, per se'. If people want Sharia Law, they should go to places where Sharia Law is the custom.
    Last edited by night-timer; May-20-17 at 01:52 AM.

Default Christianity - Spread by the Sword

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    You can tell me I'm wrong a thousand times, but I just don't see Islam having any place whatsoever in the 21st century world.
    People forget that Christianity was spread by War [[The Crusades)
    - convert or die .

Christianity involved BOMBS - ask the folks in Ireland.

Remember President Bush started a war - primarily as an evangelical zealot wanting to push a Christian agenda in the Middle East.

The U.S.'s first major military engagements of the 21st century were mixed up with the "freedom agenda" and emphasized that U.S.'s missions in Afghanistan, codenamed Operation Enduring Freedom, and in Iraq, codenamed Operation Iraqi Freedom.

History shows the "wrong" in many religions, time and time again,
    all over the world, repeatedly, and often.

Oh....and yeah lets get a Basketball Player as Governor..maybe Isiah Thomas
    Last edited by O3H; May-20-17 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    People forget that Christianity was spread by War [[The Crusades)
    - convert or die .

Christianity involved BOMBS - ask the folks in Ireland.

Remember President Bush started a war - primarily as an evangelical zealot wanting to push a Christian agenda in the Middle East.

The U.S.'s first major military engagements of the 21st century were mixed up with the "freedom agenda" and emphasized that U.S.'s missions in Afghanistan, codenamed Operation Enduring Freedom, and in Iraq, codenamed Operation Iraqi Freedom.

History shows the "wrong" in many religions, time and time again,
    all over the world, repeatedly, and often.

Oh....and yeah lets get a Basketball Player as Governor..maybe Isiah Thomas
    Take a look @ a calendar, it's 2017. If a Christian in America realizes they're gay, and decides to quit their church, other than maybe some name calling, there's little opposition, in fact, they'd be able to find support groups. What would happen to the same individual under the same circumstances in one of the Muslim countries? Muslim women still have their genitalia removed surgically, or worse, so they can't enjoy sex. Muslims have Mosques and freely practice their religion here, Christians are still persecuted and their churches burned in the Middle East. Enough of this "Christian's are the same way" crap.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-20-17 at 09:25 AM.

Considering the election is next year, I hope that candidates actively campaign in urban Detroit as often as possible and get surrogates active locally.

The candidates will have to wake up real early to attend the Mosques, Temples, Synagogues , and oh yeah and the Christian Churches to get the word out to everyone who votes.

Voting is a religious experience in Michigan - can't skip it - to win it

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Take a look @ a calendar, it's 2017. If a Christian in America realizes they're gay, and decides to quit their church, other than maybe some name calling, there's little opposition, in fact, they'd be able to find support groups. What would happen to the same individual under the same circumstances in one of the Muslim countries? Muslim women still have their genitalia removed surgically, or worse, so they can't enjoy sex. Muslims have Mosques and freely practice their religion here, Christians are still persecuted and their churches burned in the Middle East. Enough of this "Christian's are the same way" crap.
    Take a look at a globe. We live in the USA, where we're much more likely to be negatively affected by a Christian than a Muslim.

This candidate is an American. He's running for Governor of Michigan. Muslim countries have nothing to do with this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3