Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I don't think too many people would be upset if something taller on the Statler site overshadowing Trolly Plaza.
    And block a prime view of Detroit's leading example of Soviet-style brutalist architecture denying us its drab and lifeless face? Outrageous!

The way I see it, developers are in the business of making buildings. So imo they should have expertise and passion for buildings [[architecture), in addition to financing, the market, and all of that.

But from everything I have ever been able to tell, many developers have an antipathy for architecture, or at least are clueless about it. To them it's that thing that gets in the way of bean counting, even to the point that they're blind to how much good design can add value to their projects for no extra financial cost.

Architecture firms on the other hand are in the business of making architecture, and so imo they should have expertise and passion for architecture.

Design is about taking problems and solving them. It's about seeing opportunities and potential in things and taking advantage of them. It's about improving quality of life and adding value. It's not about shoving X number of units with a checklist of amenities, and wrapping it up in a pre-designed system of building products that you use for every single building that goes through the firm. No one at any architecture firm [[or at least anyone with any pride or self respect) dreams of making buildings like this, and they're only doing it because their firms and clients force them to.

The government has that site because of it's prominence and it's role in the quality of the area. That's why the Statler was dressed up with fake awnings for the RNC, and why that giant abandoned hulk needed demolition above all of the other giant abandoned hulks throughout the city. The government's job here is to facilitate the site's redevelopment for the public benefit. That goal requires good urban design and architecture.

So personally I think every group involved in this failed to meet a standard that most of us find acceptable. Developers/architects in other cities have managed to do better jobs and even developers in Detroit are managing to do it too. People can have legitimate criticisms of Gilbert's buildings but everyone can agree that both the developer and the architects are passionate about doing a good job.

DetroitNightLights Guest

A number of developers and homebuilders out there were formerly suburban developers and homebuilders. They are trying to figure out how to enter the market. Many clearly don't know what they are doing or there are things they could have done better.

If you look at the floor plans and actually go on apartment showings, you will see what I mean. Some are fine, but many aren't. They just don't have the experience to know what their customer wants.

All of them are nice places, but there is definitely room for competition to one-up them in the immediate future.
    Last edited by DetroitNightLights; September-24-17 at 07:56 AM.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Wait!? Are we getting the stupid video screen one, or is this a misprint?

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2017/09/...er-hotel-site/

It's a misprint.

You can see the development on their website, which has higher resolution renderings, and also a floor plan.

https://www.cityclubapartments.com/c...nstruction.asp

The fences are up and the earth movers and cranes are there. construction of the Statler site has began. Now Mr. Illitch Jr needs to rehab the Old UA building. When millennials want to move in they do not want to look at what's left of Detroit's ruins.

Updated renderings are a huge improvement.

I say many 5-10 floor buildings are preferable to one 70-80 floor building.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post

There's plenty of room in other parts of the city for these 5-10 floor buildings you prefer. Just not on high profile sites like the Statler.

Exactly, that building is so Midtown'ish. The Statler site DESERVES a grand building for multiple reasons. One is, its prime location; two, its surrounding building comparison and such..it doesn't fit well in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There's plenty of room in other parts of the city for these 5-10 floor buildings you prefer. Just not on high profile sites like the Statler.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post

I agree. I like the park-like space that is being added on the far end of the block, and I like the new cafe looking out on Grand Circus.

I think it will look fine from the park.

The crane is up on the former Statler Hotel site in this final photo from DetroitYES 'World HQ' on the 9th of the Michigan Building. [We have moved to Junction444 in TechTown.] Photo courtesy of Etbusch and Assembly Line Technologies.

Name:  statler-site-oct-2017.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  250.0 KB
    Much has changed in our six years there. The Whitney and Broderick have come to life, Washington Avenue between Grand Circus and Clifford is revived. Aross the street, on the right, construction is ongoing on what will the Philp Houze apartments. Above, in the upper right corner, the majestic Book Tower undergoes cleaning and renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The crane is up on the former Statler Hotel site in this final photo from DetroitYES 'World HQ' on the 9th of the Michigan Building. [We have moved to Junction444 in TechTown.] Photo courtesy of Etbusch and Assembly Line Technologies.

Name:  statler-site-oct-2017.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  250.0 KB
    Much has changed in our six years there. The Whitney and Broderick have come to life, Washington Avenue between Grand Circus and Clifford is revived. Aross the street, on the right, construction is ongoing on what will the Philp Houze apartments. Above, in the upper right corner, the majestic Book Tower undergoes cleaning and renovation.

You fooled me. I wondered why they would be erecting a crane but just a crawler.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post

You fooled me. I wondered why they would be erecting a crane but just a crawler.
    I suppose we'll see a mini-me tower crane [[like the one in the New Center Area) once they complete the excavation.

This crane is for digging. It is my understand that it will have at least two floors of underground parking.

DetroitNightLights Guest

No word on what the Bagley side will look like yet? It is hard to tell exactly what is planned, even with the floor layout.

Name:  dynamic.asp.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  86.8 KB

A pool and hot tub is visible in a central room, and outdoor fire pits are a feature in the courtyard. It almost looks like the central courtyard is going to double as a public performance stage, with public street entrances on Park Avenue and on Clifford near a vehicle drop-off area. Apartments appear to face the courtyard and Bagley. Retail faces Park and Washington. It looks like vehicle traffic will mostly be confined to Clifford.
    Last edited by DetroitNightLights; October-06-17 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post
    No word on what the Bagley side will look like yet? It is hard to tell exactly what is planned, even with the floor layout.

Name:  dynamic.asp.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  86.8 KB

A pool and hot tub is visible in a central room, and outdoor fire pits are a feature in the courtyard. It almost looks like the central courtyard is going to double as a public performance stage, with public street entrances on Park Avenue and on Clifford near a vehicle drop-off area. Apartments appear to face the courtyard and Bagley. Retail faces Park and Washington. It looks like vehicle traffic will mostly be confined to Clifford.
    Looks like they want to attract the well to do college crowd like The Scott. I can't see rents being below $2/sqft.

Taken this afternoon....

Name:  IMG_1573.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  95.5 KB

curious. Will they have their own people mover station?
    hopefully construction will be completed on time and with lots of Detroit employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    curious. Will they have their own people mover station?
    hopefully construction will be completed on time and with lots of Detroit employees.
    There is a People Mover station right across the street, so no.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5