Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    As a retired Detroit officer, my heart goes out to the officer and his family. Detroit Officers have been underpaid for a very long time. In the early 70's Detroit Officers used to be one of the best paid in the country. Today they are one of the lowest paid. Today if you asked the average citizen if a cop should receive a $10,000 a year raise they would say no. Ask if a sports figure, should get $10 grand more, and it would be a completely different answer. Our priority's are in the wrong place.
    Sadly our Public Safety workers are under the same wage and benefit pressures that the rest of the work force. Then there are those who did their duty, retired and had their pensions ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Sadly our Public Safety workers are under the same wage and benefit pressures that the rest of the work force. Then there are those who did their duty, retired and had their pensions ripped off.
    Thanks for saying that, Lowell.....but to set the record straight, our pensions were not affected in the recent bankruptcy [[not so for general city employees, though). But just as bad, we lost our healthcare package. And many first responders do not qualify for Medicare if they didn't get their 40 quarters of Social Security in.

Hey, life's a gamble. I live in Las Vegas.....don't I know that? LOL