Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
Question for forum members and our audience... Is this attention good, bad or indifferent? Cathartic or Disturbing.
I've been fascinated with the '67 Riots since I was a 5 yr old on Blaine St. watching "The Army" ride down our street. That being said, to answer your question, I feel that attention must be given to this event since in my opinion, the Riots set Detroit on a path from which it has yet to recover from? It appears that the majority of the businesses affected never rebuilt in the City, which lead to the decline of the urban landscape here. Not saying that it may not have happened anyway, with the closing of landmark stores such as Sears, Hudson's, Wards, etc., which were located in the inner city, resulting in people having to travel farther & farther away to shop, and in some cases, giving them the incentive to move closer to those farther away areas as well? For me, the answer would be "Cathartic" since the more I hear/learn about the events of 1967 in Detroit, the more I feel an emotional satisfaction of trying to understand how this tragedy "really" affected the City I love!