Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Well you stated "The 'problem' with Detroit, then, is once one gets away from New Center-downtown what else is there?" and now you are saying you "didn't include neighborhoods, per se" well outside of New Center and Downtown all there is is the neighborhoods you didn't include. Could you be anymore disingenuous?
    I don't think "disingenuous" is exactly the word you wanted. My favorite dictionary says it means "pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated". I get the idea you are trying to convey and I think there is probably a good word for it, but I don't think disingenuous is the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Well you stated "The 'problem' with Detroit, then, is once one gets away from New Center-downtown what else is there?" and now you are saying you "didn't include neighborhoods, per se" well outside of New Center and Downtown all there is is the neighborhoods you didn't include. Could you be anymore disingenuous?
    I think he means simply that there are no other corridors in the city that have the concentration of attractions that would create the kind of rapid spin-off developments that we have seen along the Q line.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    I think he means simply that there are no other corridors in the city that have the concentration of attractions that would create the kind of rapid spin-off developments that we have seen along the Q line.
    Yes!!! I did miss some, mostly on the East side [[sorry, eastsiders), but that was unintentional.

E.g., aren't most Detroit cultural centers in New Center, Midtown, downtown. How many are outside the New Center/Midtown/downtown Woodward corridor???

One could take a QLine ride tomorrow and see almost all of Detroit's cultural centers from the streetcar.

One could/can continue to debate the effects of having so much of Detroit's commercial, cultural, sports, medical care, higher education [[WSU and I haven't forgotten UDM, etc.), etc. packed in such a narrow Woodward corridor, but it is reality.

But the reality is when the Pistons were looking for a location for their practice facility the only location[[s) they considered, I believe was near HFH and the LCA. This was a case where they simply were not looking for a big, cheap parcel of land, but land which is contiguous to a hospital and business partner.

Ditto for the Ilitch School of Business. It was chosen because it is close to WSU's main campus and the LCA and downtown.

What we're saying is that this 'Woodward corridor' is a magnet for new development.
    Last edited by emu steve; May-11-17 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    However, we must remember that a tram system can be an urban transportation tool for locals for their commute. There's no reason why it can't. That's one of my main complaints against those who think this going to be for the hipsters and tourists [[and somehow sports goers who park two feet away from their seat). Trams are used the world over as a commuting tool for those residents who live and work is close proximity. There doesn't need to be just attractions, there needs to be people.

Woodward was a great start because it has the people [[tourists, workers, and residents) as well as all the attractions. Jefferson would be nice too because it has more people than attractions and can link those living in the Villages, Warehouse District, and Jefferson-Chalmers as well as a nice connection with Belle Isle. It would also be nice to link Hamtramck with a streetcar because it would be a permanent link with the rest of the city instead of a plain old bus route.

Two points:

1). I think many here believe that a successful QLine could lead to more 'legs'. I suggested E. Jefferson and eventually extending that leg westward along Michigan Ave. Others have different thoughts, although I think it would be wise to remember it might take 10 years to design, fund, and build another leg. As the good professor suggests, not a lot of folks lining up to lead the encore.

2). The one subject which has gotten almost no attention other than your one-word reference: tourists.

What is the 'average daily census' of number of occupied hotel rooms from Cobo to New Center areas? [[average number of occupied rooms on a day by day basis).

Will convention goers stay 6 - 10 blocks from Cobo and take QL to get to within walking distance? Will this change tourists' lodging choices?

What will ridership on QLine be during the auto show?

The next 12 months should be interesting as QLine ridership patterns emerge for workers, residents, sports fans, tourists, etc. The big unknowns, I think, are tourists and sports fans [[not living along the 'Woodward Corridor').
    Last edited by emu steve; May-11-17 at 09:34 AM.

Develop Michigan Closes its 16th Michigan Investment

DMI has announced the closing of a $1 million pre-development loan to support the renovation of the historic Woolworth Building in Detroit, MI. Located in the New Center district in uptown Detroit, the 3-story building, developed by David Grasso, will be renovated to a high-rise, multi-use building.

So are they going to add stories to it?

I had no idea that was once a Woolworth's. I can only hope they integrate that art moderne look into the rest of the new structure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5