Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

We've discussed many times what an isolated site this is. If they can put anything there it will be a minor miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    We've discussed many times what an isolated site this is. If they can put anything there it will be a minor miracle.
    Very much agree! The one thing going for that site [besides the waterfront] is that there is a People Mover station right across the street! Perhaps they will want a skybridge.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yea the site is hemmed in and isolated, but Rivertown & the Riverfront Towers are essentially isolated communities on the water & those are incredibly popular residential facilities. I'm not necessary advocating for some fenced in fortress community but lets be real. The Lodge isn't getting buried, to the chagrin of many, and that JLA site isn't going to be any better connected to downtown before shovels hit the ground in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Yea the site is hemmed in and isolated, but Rivertown & the Riverfront Towers are essentially isolated communities on the water & those are incredibly popular residential facilities. I'm not necessary advocating for some fenced in fortress community but lets be real.
    When I lived at Riverfront Towers 1997-2002, the only isolation I & the neighbors I felt was a positive one -- the relative physical security offered by the complex & a fairly quick 1st Precinct police response we assumed was due in-part to many city government officials living there. We also had a small grocery store in the complex, though prices were high & many times, the products were past their expiration dates, and still had price labels on them from where the store owner bought them from Kroger, A&P or Meijer's! Heck, there was even a bar/restaurant there!

When I wanted to leave the confines of the Riverfront Towers complex, I could be standing near the tracks, waiting for a People Mover within about 3 minutes of leaving my apartment, or I could be on W Fort St in my car. I'd walk to the big Post Office, and sometimes walk to Hart Plaza, Greek Town, etc. though back then, I wouldn't have recommended that to most people. As part of my apartment lease for the first couple years, I received a monthly People Mover pass.

I've been away from Detroit & Michigan for almost 19 years now, but especially if things have improved and more suburbanites are looking forward to the challenges & excitement of living in downtown Detroit, I don't think any feeling of isolation at a somewhat secure residential complex on the ground of the former JLA would be negative.

I have no idea who owns Riverfront Towers now, or how they're doing financially, etc. but them building a new apartment or condo tower there may have been a good idea.