Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

They control their own destiny, even at 4 and 4 it’s looking kind of promising, their remaining schedule seems very favorable. That is assuming they win the games their supposed to win and the Viking lose the games they’re supposed to lose. Thanksgiving day game against the Vikings seems huge.

I’m not getting overly excited or falling down drunk from too much cornbread because of what has happened over the course of the last 60 years, but, I’m just saying, it’s looks like ON PAPER they could win the division. I’m thinking 6 and 2 for the rest of the year, Green Bay is comatose, the Bears are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They control their own destiny, even at 4 and 4 it’s looking kind of promising, their remaining schedule seems very favorable. That is assuming they win the games their supposed to win and the Viking lose the games they’re supposed to lose. Thanksgiving day game against the Vikings seems huge.

I’m not getting overly excited or falling down drunk from too much cornbread because of what has happened over the course of the last 60 years, but, I’m just saying, it’s looks like ON PAPER they could win the division. I’m thinking 6 and 2 for the rest of the year, Green Bay is comatose, the Bears are horrible.
    I agree, to a degree, but you can't overlook anybody. The Bears beat the Steelers., and Wash won at Seattle. Atl, Wash, GB and Ari are all 4-4 as well, so they can't slip up and lose to teams they are suppose to beat, like Cleveland this weekend.

Nice win by the Lions. But the Packers are clearly a shell-shocked team right now, trying to find their way with a QB who is learning on the job.

Lions passing offense continues to shine, especially with Marvin Jones and TJ Jones increasingly coming up big as alternatives to Tate. But the running game is still very anemic and poorly designed and executed for the type of backs they have. And it should not escape anyone's notice that they were still mostly terrible in the red zone.

I'm still not sold on the Lions as division title contenders, despite their 2-0 division record so far. They will absolutely need to beat the Vikings on Thanksgiving to have any realistic chance, and I run out of fingers counting the number of times the Lions have disappointed me in 'must win' games, including last year's debacle vs. Green Bay.

NO rushing game at all.....here are a couple of ranking facts:

2017: 30th/currently
    2016: 30th
    2015: 32nd
    2014: 28th

Being at the bottom-of-the-barrel for so long, wonder why no serious movement towards quality RB's thru the draft, FA, or trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

Being at the bottom-of-the-barrel for so long, wonder why no serious movement towards quality RB's thru the draft, FA, or trade?
    you are right as rain, Smirnoff. The Lions have no viable running game. Our current list of runners is mediocre, and Stafford can't do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

Two thoughts:

1). The problem at LT has been bad, very bad. Even the right side of the line hasn't met expectations.

2). The Lions had an opportunity to draft Kareem Hunt [[3rd round) but traded that pick and ended up with Golliday, WR, who has been injured.

I'm hoping Taylor Decker's return will solidify the left side of the line.

In the NFL keeping the OL healthy is paramount.

It’s time for the 2nd playoff win in the last 60 years.

It’s time for Stafford to step up and carry this team on his back if that’s what it takes - highest paid players in the history of the league are supposed to do that.

It’s time for all the excuses to end.

I knew this would be an easy Lions win, especially with the Browns, as usual, becoming a mere waste of time for whatever fans they have left [[in fact, they've proven to be a waste of time for Clevelanders ever since they returned to the NFL back in '99).

In fact, I know this may sound strange, but if the Browns do end up 0-16, we can ironically thank the Lions for helping them get there.

With the Vikings winning today as well, along with the Packers' first victory under Hundley, things are starting to get serious in the NFC North.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I knew this would be an easy Lions win, especially with the Browns, as usual, becoming a mere waste of time for whatever fans they have left [[in fact, they've proven to be a waste of time for Clevelanders ever since they returned to the NFL back in '99).

In fact, I know this may sound strange, but if the Browns do end up 0-16, we can ironically thank the Lions for helping them get there.

With the Vikings winning today as well, along with the Packers' first victory under Hundley, things are starting to get serious in the NFC North.
    Pretty hard to be smug if you're a Lions fan. The Browns still draw 70,000 per game and have a lot richer playoff history.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pretty hard to be smug if you're a Lions fan. The Browns still draw 70,000 per game and have a lot richer playoff history.
    Except for 1957.

I think the Lions writers in this town are unmitigated crap. All of em...they write like they mailing it in...like their readers have zero imagination. Narrative, narrative.....I don’t need a description of what is evident from watching or listening to the game...give me x’s and o’s more consistently. I wake up starving for steak and eggs...yet the clowns from Mlive push a bowl of Lucky Charms in my face [[not the old one, when the sugar came exclusively from the marshmallows; which, lets face it, would have been somewhat tolerable....but the new one, where every piece is baked in glucose)
    Seen the Mlive podcast? Those guys look and sound like they don’t even like football...like Tori Petry could throw a football farther in heels!
    I digress.
    Every postgame, I go to the media of our opponent that week...and learn more about what the lions were doing, very well written pieces...shout out to NO’s and GB.
    We haven’t had decent writing since Tom Kowalski passed...and also listening to Brandstater [[sp?) can be more pleasurable than watching tv [[unless Speilman working telecast [[he should write!) btw...Brandy’s partner Miller...the dude is slipping!

Been around long enough that until the owner totally commits to the general public with their "crystal clear" intention/plan of winning a Superbowl.....it will only continue to remain a fan created illusion.

Take into consideration the incremental cost, time, energy, sweat, dedication, training, commitment, planning, & resources for any organization to be at the very top of their game....the only thing crystal clear is the record of this franchise since 1957 and decision to be cost effective/mediocre.
    Last edited by Smirnoff; November-14-17 at 07:47 PM.

This game was all-out wild. When it ultimately became tied by the fourth quarter, a 51-yard field goal from Prater helped the Lions regain the lead. The closest threat was a botched field goal from the Bears with 3 seconds left in the game.

And with that, the Lions are now 6-4, like I had predicted two weeks before, but they're also in sole possession of second place in the NFC North [[Packers suffered from an annihilating shutout against the Ravens, who scored 23 points against the Packers' none).

Thanksgiving should be interesting, with the Vikings having just crushed the Rams 24-7. The Lions do have a sorta edge, as they now have defeated all of their divisional foes on their respective home fields.

Interesting stat: The Lions have gone 62 consecutive games [[4-yrs) without a player rushing for at least 100 yards.....Minnesota currently has the second-best rush defense in the league, allowing just 77.7 yards per game this season.

Indicators point to the Vikings will Win on THX & cover the spread.....

Clearly the Lions won't be able to run up the middle. I'd like to see them get a little more creative with reverses, quick passes out of the backfield, etc. Abdullah is decent once he gets a bit of room.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Clearly the Lions won't be able to run up the middle. I'd like to see them get a little more creative with reverses, quick passes out of the backfield, etc. Abdullah is decent once he gets a bit of room.
    Totally agree. If they try to establish the run up the middle and get behind early like Cleveland and Chicago games they are guaranteed to lose. Throw the ball and win. Of note, the Giants won the Superbowl with the worst running game in the league.

Uhhhhhhh, Thanksgiving.

Where is Doak Walker and Bobby Layne when we need them?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Uhhhhhhh, Thanksgiving.

Where is Doak Walker and Bobby Layne when we need them?
    Same place as this seasons Lions playoff hopes...Dead.

Mostly a poor effort. Hard to watch the guy Lions management decided to make the highest paid player in the game get outplayed by a 3rd stringer who was an undrafted free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Mostly a poor effort. Hard to watch the guy Lions management decided to make the highest paid player in the game get outplayed by a 3rd stringer who was an undrafted free agent.
    I don’t know, that Case Keenum guy sure seems like a way better then serviceable quarterback, played at a very high level. They haven’t lost a beat with him. Maybe the Vikings have better coaching then the Lions. The Vikings look at this point like a top tier team, the Lions look more middle of the pack.

At least the Lions are still in it, sort-of. Keeps things interesting for the next couple of weeks anyway. Lions have to do some serious winning now, run the table, or sink the eight ball at the break. I’ll be shocked if they win out though.

Vikings ran all the creative plays I was hoping to see from the Lions and it took the Lions until the 2nd half to make adjustments. Of course you have to have the athletes to run those plays and the Vikings just look faster everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

Well, another national audience "shellacking", game QBR for Keenum [[95.6), 135-million dollar man just [[51.1). Abdullah just 14-yards rushing.....

Common sense: should have spread the $135M to obtain better quality players....???

Turn out the lights. The party's over.

Ray, since you have given up on watching, how do you come by you keen insights?

Poor Gnome has to chew on aluminum foil for five hours before coming to the same contusion.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ray, since you have given up on watching, how do you come by you keen insights?
    Well, I still read the newspaper. The writers have not been kind to the Lions.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast