Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The ironic thing about your statement is that City Modern is being built by a McMansion sprawl developer with a worse reputation than Pulte.
    I've heard quite a few complaints from people who have moved into City Modern already about unfinished and/or poor quality construction. Gilbert is known for the high end quality of his projects. Why he hired this company to build City Modern is beyond me. If quality issues get out of hand, this will damage not only Bedrock's reputation, but may negatively affect the property values of this neighborhood. People overpaid way too much for condos in this development to have to put up with crappy quality that will potentially put them underwater on their mortgages.

Personally, I love the look and the use of space. LED lighting, HVAC, HW floors, fixtures and tiling are all top notch and offered as basic/standard. The Penthouses in the Townhomes look absolutely awesome with uninterrupted views of DT. As for workmanship, owners have a 1 year warrantee so they should be pounding the builder for anything as trivial as a paint drip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Taste is in the eye of the beholder... I have my opinions, and you have yours.

And since you brought up questionable... I'm still wondering why on earth you ever thought that Gilbert was only pushing dirt around on the Hudsons site, and that the expansion of the Meridian [[Compuware) Building was a photoshop....
    It just seems there's an annoying vocal minority who constantly complains about minuscule things on this project. It's really good urban design actually and ticks off a lot of the boxes.

But oh no! the brick!... nobody cares, you're not living there anyway.

also I never thought those things... you confuse me with somebody else?
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; March-04-19 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    I've heard quite a few complaints from people who have moved into City Modern already about unfinished and/or poor quality construction. Gilbert is known for the high end quality of his projects. Why he hired this company to build City Modern is beyond me. If quality issues get out of hand, this will damage not only Bedrock's reputation, but may negatively affect the property values of this neighborhood. People overpaid way too much for condos in this development to have to put up with crappy quality that will potentially put them underwater on their mortgages.
    You're the only person I've heard say this, holy jumping to conclusions batman. I get it now, trolls on here can't stand development in the city, should have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    You're the only person I've heard say this, holy jumping to conclusions batman. I get it now, trolls on here can't stand development in the city, should have known.
    Yeah, that must be it. It wouldn't be concerned homeowners seeking to protect their investment; they purchased homes in Detroit for the express purpose of trolling on DYes...

You don't own a home here, so why are you still sh%t-stirring? You're a bonafide troll; this is literally the only thing you do, here. Why don't you do us and yourself a favor, and find another hobby besides trolling a message board about a city you clearly hate? You obviously aren't happy and don't want to be here, and well...the feeling's mutual. It'd be different if you had some kind of redeeming quality, like offering something of value to any discussion you're in. But you don't even have that.
    Last edited by Dexlin; March-04-19 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Yeah, that must be it. It wouldn't be concerned homeowners seeking to protect their investment; they purchased homes in Detroit for the express purpose of trolling on DYes...
    WHO on Detroityes owns a home in city modern? Certainly not middetres since he/she believes the units are overpriced. they only projected hearsay.

These units are in a NEZ zone [[Neighborhood Enterprise Zone), right?

So they have 15 years of greatly reduced taxes... until the NEZ expires. Here's a copy/paste [[Detroit News, Feb. 13, 2018) about a Corktown resident who had their NEZ expire...

"Nearly all new Detroit condo projects have secured or are attempting to get NEZs, a process that requires city and state sign-offs.

However, most NEZs expire after 15 years — and there are no extensions. Once the expiration date comes, condo owners face Detroit's full millage rates, which can add several thousands of dollars a year to tax bills.

"Even if people know [[the expiration) is coming, it can create a big challenge near the end of the NEZ certificate term when an owner has to face upcoming drastically higher property taxes," said attorney Richard Barr of Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn in Detroit, a real estate tax expert.

"The expiration is a big problem, especially with increasing property values and assessments," he said. "We don't want existing owners to be shocked when their bills go up so much. And we also don't want them to be moving out two or three years before the NEZ expires because they're afraid a potential purchaser of their home is going to see the upcoming property tax increase and say 'I can't afford it.' "

A buyer of a $625,000 condo in Detroit's trendy Corktown neighborhood recently experienced an NEZ expiration — and a dramatic tax surge.

The buyer, who hailed from New York, bought the 6,000-square-foot unit when the building's NEZ was in effect and the unit's annual taxes were about $2,000. But the NEZ soon expired and the condo's tax bill shot up to $29,000, according to agent Matt O'Laughlin of the Loft Warehouse.

The condo owner is in the process of appealing the tax assessment with the city, O'Laughlin said."

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The buyer, who hailed from New York, bought the 6,000-square-foot unit when the building's NEZ was in effect and the unit's annual taxes were about $2,000. But the NEZ soon expired and the condo's tax bill shot up to $29,000, according to agent Matt O'Laughlin of the Loft Warehouse.

The condo owner is in the process of appealing the tax assessment with the city, O'Laughlin said."
    I don’t think the taxes are that high if homesteaded

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I don’t think the taxes are that high if homesteaded
    On the contrary. Whether homesteaded on not, an owner having a property taxable value of more than $300k will pay more than $20K in taxes. Based on the story above, the $625k condo was valued at approximately $425k taxable value. Life in the city...

WHO on Detroityes owns a home in city modern? Certainly not middetres since he/she believes the units are overpriced. they only projected hearsay.
    I've lived in Detroit for over 30 years. I'm the furthest thing from a troll. I've always chosen to rent over buy. Just a preference. But I know 6 people personally that have bought there. So, yes, technically hearsay, as I'm not personally involved, but enough 1st and 2nd-hand accounts of issues that are concerning. Mine is a criticism of the chosen contractor's work, not the style, which I like, and not the overall development which I fully support.

I've lived in Detroit for over 30 years. I'm the furthest thing from a troll. I've always chosen to rent over buy. Just a preference. But I know 6 people personally that have bought there. So, yes, technically hearsay, as I'm not personally involved, but enough 1st and 2nd-hand accounts of issues that are concerning. Mine is a criticism of the chosen contractor's work, not the style, which I like, and not the overall development which I fully support.
    Hunter-Pasteur is the builder and I have not yet heard anything negative about them. Who they choose to subcontract is another issue. The delays due to skilled trade labour shortage could have compromised the quality but I have yet to see it and I have had the privilege of walking through a few Townhomes at various stages of construction.

If white peop---I mean Millennials don't like the George Jetson architecture. Sell it or give to the hood folks.

However the design remains strong, secure and reliable. Gilbert is making investment risks and most of building develop ventures is working AOK!

Please do not cuss my hood!
    Last edited by Danny; March-05-19 at 07:29 AM.

It really is amazing to me about the values of city modern and how many are selling. I’ve lived here for over 25 years and never in my wildest dreams thought real estate would ever sell the way it does in downtown and midtown. The Detroit story is not unique however, Cleveland, and it’s Gordon Square development area along Its shoreway, is experiencing almost an identical development occurrence. This is the neighborhood that no one wanted to live in up to about five years ago and presently they are selling 15 year tax abatement town houses from anywhere from 450,000 to 800,00 and they too are selling like hotcakes. Pittsburgh, is also going through almost an identical renaissance in its once undesirable areas downtown. It seems to be the new norm. I just have no idea how anybody earning 40 to 50,000 year could even come close to comprehending buying anything in these areas anymore, which is kind of sad ,there should be all types of housing for all types of people. And to think that these, and our city is still, despite this, very affordable downtown compared to San Francisco Los Angeles, Seattle, New York ,Boston ,Toronto , Vancouver etc..is even more scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
    On the contrary. Whether homesteaded on not, an owner having a property taxable value of more than $300k will pay more than $20K in taxes. Based on the story above, the $625k condo was valued at approximately $425k taxable value. Life in the city...
    $425k taxable value on a recently sold property would indicate approximately $850k market value. Millages in Detroit are tough to take. If the city could string together 10 years or so of balanced budgets and pay off some long term bonds instead of rolling them over, perhaps it could start reducing its millage rate. Growth could be so much more sustainable in Detroit if it could get its homestead millage into the 40s.

Just heard that the northern part of CM, on Edmonds, will be all Town homes starting at $1M. Wait list indicates that it will likely sell out very quickly.

PS. I think I accidentally deleted all the previous pics that I attached. In the process of restoring them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I hope with that kind of money, the buyers are looking over the properties carefully. At that price I would be well aware of the quality of construction...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    I hope with that kind of money, the buyers are looking over the properties carefully. At that price I would be well aware of the quality of construction...
    Walked through many near completed units already. Quality is up there and trust me, I’m a PITA for this sort of stuff, down to paint drips and nail pops. Cabinetry, trim work, floors, doors and drywall are all tip top. Electrical and plumbing is obviously up to code. Windows are all load bearing commercial grade. Even the HVAC is premium quality with dual furnaces and AC compressors.

A friend of mine went to the show house and said that the model was no longer there, they were told the the reason was because it was all sold out and they did not need the model anymore.

So this means no duplettes at all? I'm not mad, I hated the look of them anyway but I hope they change the look of these other town homes now since it would be too much of the same.

A friend of mine went to the show house and said that the model was no longer there, they were told the the reason was because it was all sold out and they did not need the model anymore.

So this means no duplettes at all? I'm not mad, I hated the look of them anyway but I hope they change the look of these other town homes now since it would be too much of the same.
    An official announcement will be made soon but I have been told there will be no Duplettes. TH’s will be larger due to the longer lot size. If true, Edmund will be an amazing street to live on. Probably the most expensive single stretch in Detroit [[maybe Michigan??) when those mansions are rehabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Walked through many near completed units already. Quality is up there and trust me, I’m a PITA for this sort of stuff, down to paint drips and nail pops. Cabinetry, trim work, floors, doors and drywall are all tip top. Electrical and plumbing is obviously up to code. Windows are all load bearing commercial grade. Even the HVAC is premium quality with dual furnaces and AC compressors.
    Don't keep feeding the trolls.

Anyway, thanks for the update on the status of the Edmund Street lands. Kind of surprised by the price-points. Will these have even more amenities or did the prices just increase that much to justify starting them at around a $1 million?

I went to talk to the real estate marketeers at the City Modern Project. So far they sold about 83 percent of the condos and 90 percent of the apartments. The property values over there had gone up to $800,000 after customers were in the buying spree.

I'm sorry, my sources told me otherwise. They had to rework several. You probably know the drill, bad framing or brick job makes it hard on the other trades to correct...no troll here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I went to talk to the real estate marketeers at the City Modern Project. So far they sold about 83 percent of the condos and 90 percent of the apartments. The property values over there had gone up to $800,000 after customers were in the buying spree.
    Not sure what you mean by condo and apartments. They have Carriage Homes and Town Homes for sale only. Apartments are for rent only.

The Town Homes have been sold out for a while with more coming on line soon starting at $1M. The last TH’s sold for >$900k. There are a few Carriage Homes left.

It’s official, the west side of Edmund have been converted from Duplets to Town Homes and a few are already reserved. Prices are now up to $1.2M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast