Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 94 of 143 FirstFirst ... 44 84 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 104 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 3565

Quote Originally Posted by JTburner View Post
    In the interview linked below, new bedrock CEO says "within the next six months, it will be well above pavement level." Sounds like it was a misunderstanding to think steel will only start coming on site this summer

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/qa/new...-francisco-313
    It really depends on how much concrete they're willing to pour in the cold.

There have been some internet rumors about "8 pours this week" but keep in mind that even though they are at ground level in one spot, they've still gotta get the other 75% of the block [[not even thinking about the tower yet) up to ground level.

The ground level pour that happened last Friday was a big deal, but keep in mind that the "first level basement" below it was poured on oct 8 - about two months ago. Furthermore, there are parts of the block where they haven't even poured the first level basement [[in fact, that's literally everywhere except where we have both a first and second level).

Basically, if we approximate square footage and the current velocity of construction, we will have the whole block foundation at ground level some time between march and may - just in time for steel in the summer as bedrock said.

In today's video it looks like we're getting dangerously close to a mat pour on the tower. They're almost done fitting what appears to be a set of thermal blankets. It's plausible that we might have concrete tomorrow, but more likely Wednesday.

Also keeping an eye on the first basement floor over on the left side of the pit. With any luck they'll finish that conduit by Friday and we will have concrete laid down.

Fred, you seem to know a bit about construction it seems. To kind of piggyback on another question asked earlier, what's the reasoning behind keeping the four caissons at the north and south of the foundation outside what looks to be an additional raft foundation?

This seems like a hybrid system. I imagine it has to do with different loads for different parts of the tower, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this. It's like a mat on top of a piled mat/raft, but also some of the piles rise above the first pile cap/raft.

Sub-basement.

Name:  hudsons [[2).jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  236.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Fred, you seem to know a bit about construction it seems. To kind of piggyback on another question asked earlier, what's the reasoning behind keeping the four caissons at the north and south of the foundation outside what looks to be an additional raft foundation?

This seems like a hybrid system. I imagine it has to do with different loads for different parts of the tower, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this. It's like a mat on top of a piled mat/raft, but also some of the piles rise above the first pile cap/raft.
    I know very little about big boy construction like this [[I'm just a concrete geek), but my non-civil and highly speculative engineering background tells me you're probably right.

I do wonder if there will be a second mat layer that's bigger. Time will tell.

Concrete pouring at tower section this morning.Attachment 41110

A concrete pour that started before the sun rose, and was still going as the sun set!

Quote Originally Posted by motorcity View Post
    Disagree the title summed it up. Lot of subtext in the article. Takeaway to me is they don't have a hotel on board [[or they'd tell the public now) and it seems they're soft floating only the 12-story 'block' structure will be built [[at first ). They also refused to detail the project or financing or its construction costs to the top real estate reporter in Detroit. No genuine project of this magnitude has so much secrecy and vagueness. It all smells like 13 going on 14 years of baloney.
    You just basically repeated what the article said... but with a negative spin.... YAWN....

The tower is getting built. How do you explain the concrete pour then? It's happening folks. Miss me with your Debbie downer shit.

Well, Dmberko, everyone knows that Bedrock just likes to waste tens-of-millions-of-dollars in construction costs for shits-and-giggles and to keep up appearances. Duh.

Man, this foundation is going to be so thick you could have launched the space shuttle off of it. lol

They're just pouring dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Right, just like they were just pushing dirt for months!

Default Hudsons Site

There is alot of speculation on the comment section, much of it is guess work and opinions as most of us are not directly connected to the details of how this whole development will be completed. We have been told some of the features, but over time much of what is going to be built has changed. My original question was, why would the large 9' diameter caissons not be included in the basement pour that was completed late on 12/16? There are 4 of them and the largest caissons in this development. Maybe there will be something completed soon to include them or maybe they don't require to be included due to their size. Now, this is strictly speculation and no need for some of you to get your panties in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I can't express how much I laughed at this!

Since everyone else is speculating, I will throw my foundation theory out there. I have read a lot about skyscraper foundations [[a topic I find interesting), and here is my best laymen’s guess at why:

The four larger caissons might be the only four that actually went all the way down to bedrock. The remainder of the caissons drilled may only be down to hard pan. Unlike Manhattan, Detroit is not blessed with bedrock near the surface which makes deep foundation work here much more expensive. I believe the bedrock layer is between 150’ to 200’ down here in Detroit. Not to start another Chicago discussion, but from a purely geotechnical perspective, the soil conditions here are far more similar to Chicago than New York.

The Trump Tower in Chicago [[which I am only using because there was information published about its structural design) had a similar design where many of the caissons only went to hard pan [[not bedrock), and then they were capped off with essentially a giant concrete floor mat like we are seeing at Hudsons. I see a lot of similarities between how that foundation was constructed, and how this one is being done.

One final comment is that it is important to note that a skyscraper caissons does not have to go down to bedrock. In Manhattan they essentially all do because it is cheap and easy. In Detroit and Chicago, it is possible but right on the borderline of being worth doing or not. It is also very expensive to do here. In other places, like Houston for example, the bedrock is so far down that it is not even worth trying. All of the skyscrapers there use a different “floating” design where the caissons go into the hard pan, and structurally the weight keeps it in place.

Interesting stuff though, and I do wish Bedrock would share more information on whether [[and how) the foundation went to bedrock.

Frankai videos captured a radio clip mentioning some COVID cases impacting work, along with a few closeups of the site.

How do you know Bedrock has spent “tens of millions of dollars”? How do you know we taxpayers aren’t footing the bill for this? Prepping a foundation for a speculative skyscraper isn’t much extra.
    LOL! You literally don't know shit about construction [[materials, labour hours, etc), poor guy. Again, go sit your lil' ass in the corner; grown folks are speaking.

You're a 'grown folk' obsessed with a fictitious project. You can't admit you've been conned, so you lash out on any skeptic who's not hallucinating. Have fun watching an underground parking garage and maybe maybe a 12-story building being built over the next 3-4 years. Dream big.
    You got that “smooth brain syndrome” don’t ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    LOL! You literally don't know shit about construction [[materials, labour hours, etc), poor guy. Again, go sit your lil' ass in the corner; grown folks are speaking.
    Can we get this account banned? They provide nothing of value to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Can we get this account banned? They provide nothing of value to this discussion.
    I'm honestly baffled a DYES admin hasn't stepped in yet. I've reported the comments many times.

I reported him the second he started making Chicago posts in here, it was obviously the same troll from the beginning.

Out of respect for our humble host, I don't like to make demands, criticisms, or provide public constructive feedback of how this forum is administered. I think he does a great job in allowing discussion and only stepping in when he absolutely needs to.

I used to run a similar but much less trafficked and shorter lived forum for a suburb of Detroit. The thing I hated the most was when users tried to make demands that I should take certain actions, sanction certain users, etc...

This forum has an ignore button that I've used on a few select users. Ignore the those folks and just post the positive things that you see

Back on topic...

Any more concrete being laid down today?

Looking at the development below ground, I don't see any underground parking. Wasn't there going to be like 600 parking spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I was sure that 44 billion was a typo. So Gilbert's net worth has basically increased almost 10 fold since the IPO? Sounds like Forbes, and others, didn't do a very good job of calculating the value of Quicken Loans when calculating Gilbert's worth when it was a private company. It didn't jump that much after the IPO.

401don... in response to your earlier question about Gilbert's net worth...

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...on-in-one-day/

Page 94 of 143 FirstFirst ... 44 84 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 104 ... LastLast