Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 73 of 143 FirstFirst ... 23 63 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 3569

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    What type of red tape and stipulations are you talking about?
    Now with Gannon gone... he's our resident conspiracy theorist...

Crane parts arrived on site today. Two segments!

^I think that just might be replacement parts for the red crane. I thought the exact same thing a few pages ago, but they ended up switching out one of the segments, not building the new crane. I think the Crain's article [[pun) said the cranes would be up in early April.

can you guys stop sending false alarms for the cranes? Like it's honestly annoying.

I don't think there's anything wrong with posting when a giant piece of some kind of crane shows up to the site. It's not like there's much else to do these days...

For the existing big red crane they removed one small section, but added two larger sections. So the existing portable crane is taller now!

OK... Curbed Detroit has new stats for the Hudsons site... here is what was originally planned space, and what will be the final space:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2020/3/20...s-construction

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:
    Original 251,000 s.f. [[250 units)...... Now 225,000 s.f. [[150 units)

HOTEL:
    Original 500,700 s.f. [[? rooms)........ Now 286,000 s.f. [[200-250 rooms)

OFFICE SPACE:
    Original 343,000 s.f........................ Now 402,000 s.f.

EVENT SPACE:
    Original 185,000 s.f........................ Now 127,000 s.f.

RETAIL SPACE:
    Original 73,000 s.f.......................... Now 18,000 s.f.

EXHIBITION SPACE:
    Original 77,000 s.f........................... Now ???? [[not specified)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL
    Original 1,400,000 +........................ Now 1,058,000 *

* Doesn't count any exhibition space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... Curbed Detroit has new stats for the Hudsons site... here is what was originally planned space, and what will be the final space:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2020/3/20...s-construction

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:
    Original 251,000 s.f. [[250 units)...... Now 225,000 s.f. [[150 units)

HOTEL:
    Original 500,700 s.f. [[? rooms)........ Now 286,000 s.f. [[200-250 rooms)

OFFICE SPACE:
    Original 343,000 s.f........................ Now 402,000 s.f.

EVENT SPACE:
    Original 185,000 s.f........................ Now 127,000 s.f.

RETAIL SPACE:
    Original 73,000 s.f.......................... Now 18,000 s.f.

EXHIBITION SPACE:
    Original 77,000 s.f........................... Now ???? [[not specified)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL
    Original 1,400,000 +........................ Now 1,058,000 *

* Doesn't count any exhibition space.
    Good to see less event & retail space. Bricks & Mortar retail may decline even more after the virus and you want to keep as much at street level as possible. The hotel space is a little troubling. Can you get a premier hotel brand with less than 300 rooms? We don't need another boutique hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Good to see less event & retail space. Bricks & Mortar retail may decline even more after the virus and you want to keep as much at street level as possible. The hotel space is a little troubling. Can you get a premier hotel brand with less than 300 rooms? We don't need another boutique hotel.
    As to your question about getting a premier brand hotel: Yes, and arguably it had to be less than 300 rooms. To clarify, I am talking about a brand like Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, etc. A brand like that rarely opens a hotel larger than 300 rooms, as they like to keep it smaller to offer a more personalized experience. If the room number gets too big, guests become just “another number”, which is obviously not what the high end brands are going for.

I think many of us were hoping for two hotels in the tower. A combination of a Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott for example. It now appears it will only be one hotel, and that is likely the biggest reason for the large decrease in floor space and tower height. As long as it is still a high end brand though, I will consider it a success.

What I sincerely hope is not the case is that this new hotel ends up just being another mid-to-upper tier brand [[Hilton, Hyatt, etc.). Nothing against those brands, but if we are talking something in that category, than yes room number should be larger. Just as depressing, is that it would also mean Detroit continues to not have that truly high end brand that most other large cities do.
    Last edited by Atticus; March-23-20 at 01:41 PM.

Seems like the residential units grew a lot in sq ft. each?

I'm interested to see the video today to see if construction activity stops at the site. If the obey the governor's order, it should. I can't see how this activity would be considered essential.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'm interested to see the video today to see if construction activity stops at the site. If the obey the governor's order, it should. I can't see how this activity would be considered essential.
    Yeah. Friends in construction are telling me that most of the companies are coming up with bottom of the barrel complete garbage excuses for staying open.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    They're not going to stop and it's not against the governors orders.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive order temporarily suspending all in-person operations that are “not necessary to sustain or protect life.” It also directs Michiganders to stay in their homes unless part of a critical workforce, engaged in an outdoor activity, or performing a task necessary to the health and welfare of themselves or their family.
    https://detroit.curbed.com/2020/3/23...-order-whitmer

The text from the actual order [[not a news article) says:

"To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household."

I'm not a lawyer, but to me it's clear that "outdoor activity" refers to recreation, not construction.

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9...2626--,00.html

I guess well see today then, work outdoors doesn't seem like a risk to me and we all know Gilbert has Gretchen on speed-dial to push his interests whether the work is considered essential or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    I guess well see today then, work outdoors doesn't seem like a risk to me and we all know Gilbert has Gretchen on speed-dial to push his interests whether the work is considered essential or not.
    So you're saying the Governor is going to pick and choose construction sites that can remain open one at a time? Maybe the 2 of them will get together and agree on no more than 5 workers on site. That would work for both.

There was absolutely no activity on the TCF Tower site today. idk if that's sheds any light on anything.

Well, the cam shows no activity. Only like two people were on site today.

This corona stuff is serious bullshit, I'm so annoyed with it all. F*cking hell.

Road construction is continuing, but infrastructure is a critical resource so that makes sense. I'm bummed out too that the work has stopped at the Hudson site. it is probably for the best though, this virus seems like it's for real.

I'm suffering from daily video update withdrawal. They're still autoposting, but the only action is on Woodward. Surprised none of the usual suspects have been complaining about the slow pace.

^They wouldn't be complaining, they'd be celebrating.

I'm glad they're not working. I think some folks have too broadly defined what an "essential" worker is.

My big fear is that the money will be dried up due to the economic implosion and work won't restart. I have no facts to base this on, it's just a worry of mine.

In that type of construction one has to get well within 6 feet of one another. The iron workers walked off the job I was at some time the week before last. Last I was told was that by law we had to work. I work for a mechanical contractor local 80. My shop laid off monday because most of our work is at auto companies. I have been waiting over a year for this hudsond building to start. While our work was going good this was supposed to put alot of people to work. I'm not sure if all iron workers stopped working or not. Last I heard our hall was saying we could work but I'n not sure how many individual companies are still working. Most stuff is heavy and people need to be in close quarters to do work so not good. Not practical at all to stay 6 feet away on a construction jobsite.

I have no facts based on this what so ever but in my opinion I doubt it will ever start back up. I also believe the auto companies will never re open their doors. I hope I am wrong because my work depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I have no facts based on this what so ever but in my opinion I doubt it will ever start back up. I also believe the auto companies will never re open their doors. I hope I am wrong because my work depends on it.
    The gov't is printing money and vowed to help industry. It's difficult to believe they would bail out other industries but not autos. China restarted their auto manufacturing plants this past week. The auto companies will start again. I'm more pessimistic about Ford & GM as standalone companies long-term the way they have been struggling globally the last couple of years. Chinese auto companies are growing rapidly and Hyundai & Kia are kicking butt.

Page 73 of 143 FirstFirst ... 23 63 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 83 123 ... LastLast