Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 68 of 143 FirstFirst ... 18 58 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 78 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 3565

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    As good as that may seem in Austin, are any historic or beautiful buildings being torn down there?

Here in Detroit you would think we haven't gotten to that problem yet, except we have folks like the Ilitches [[who want to tear almost everything down) and Emmett Moten [[who tore down that building behind the Fort Shelby and wants to tear down the United Artists Theatre).

But it is nice that Detroit has so much of its' historic buildings still standing. Being in the economic doldrums for so long had the benefit of the city having so many historic buildings downtown. In many downtowns the historic theatres are among the first buildings to go... Philadelphia, Baltimore and Cincinnati have no historic downtown movie palace that survived the onslaught of parking lots/garages. Detroit is very lucky to have so many, giving us the nations 2nd largest theatre district.

Same goes for other older/historic buildings in cities that replaced them with glass and steel soul-less high rises.
    Detroit has an enviable amount of historical architecture that many cities would kill for. Austin’s downtown isn’t really historical at all. In fact most of its skyline came about in the last 10-15 years...no exaggeration! San Antonio to the south of us reminds me a bit of Detroit with its historic downtown and never building anything tall/new. It’s nice when you can blend a bit of both in downtowns. I’m all for preserving history and not tearing structures down to make way for glass boxes.

As good as that may seem in Austin, are any historic or beautiful buildings being torn down there?

Here in Detroit you would think we haven't gotten to that problem yet, except we have folks like the Ilitches [[who want to tear almost everything down) and Emmett Moten [[who tore down that building behind the Fort Shelby and wants to tear down the United Artists Theatre).

But it is nice that Detroit has so much of its' historic buildings still standing. Being in the economic doldrums for so long had the benefit of the city having so many historic buildings downtown. In many downtowns the historic theatres are among the first buildings to go... Philadelphia, Baltimore and Cincinnati have no historic downtown movie palace that survived the onslaught of parking lots/garages. Detroit is very lucky to have so many, giving us the nations 2nd largest theatre district.

Same goes for other older/historic buildings in cities that replaced them with glass and steel soul-less high rises.
    Austin is literally replacing single family houses with high rises. That is probably not ever going to happen in Detroit. But Detroit does have a bad habit of replacing its historic architecture with parking lots...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Austin is literally replacing single family houses with high rises. That is probably not ever going to happen in Detroit. But Detroit does have a bad habit of replacing its historic architecture with parking lots...
    Ha! You’re not wrong. Detroit doesn’t need to be an Austin. Frankly that’d be hard to do. The city doubles its population every twenty years and was ranked the 19th fastest growing city in the world. It’s nuts. I love what Detroit has. It’s charming. The theatre district is great, the stadia, the river walk....it has a lot to offer. A lot of people I interact with have good things to say about Detroit when I tell them where I’m from. They’re like you’re not from Austin are you? [[My accent is a giveaway I guess) lol!

Follow the money. Contractors, probably friends, familes, or affiliates of these elected officials, had been getting paid ti raze any structure whether historic or not. Then another favored contractor get the job of paving parking lots for the favored sion to be owners of them

Actually that did happen in Detroit... in the 1900-1920 era, especially GCP and northward, when very beautiful Victorian homes were razed for the office towers, hotels and theatres. Before the United Artists Building/Theatre and addition to the Tuller Hotel was built, a church stood on that site. View of GCP West in 1908....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Actually that did happen in Detroit... in the 1900-1920 era, especially GCP and northward, when very beautiful Victorian homes were razed for the office towers, hotels and theatres. Before the United Artists Building/Theatre and addition to the Tuller Hotel was built, a church stood on that site. View of GCP West in 1908....
    Didn't know that, pretty cool picture!

Because Austin's podunk downtown still has single family shacks sitting in it. Not really impressive or a good thing since Austin likely doesn't have diverse mixed density/use zoning which is essential to good urban planning and neighborhood vibrancy.

Detroit is creating walkable good urbanism from empty lots in places like Brush Park, no other city is really doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Because Austin's podunk downtown still has single family shacks sitting in it. Not really impressive or a good thing since Austin likely doesn't have diverse mixed density/use zoning which is essential to good urban planning and neighborhood vibrancy.

Detroit is creating walkable good urbanism from empty lots in places like Brush Park, no other city is really doing this.
    Austin doesn’t have a podunk downtown. Please research before you talk out your arse.
    It’s actually way more impressive than Detroit’s but this forum or thread isn’t about Austin so we’ll get back on topic. Austin actually has an 850 footer under construction and potentially two buildings that’ll be 1,000 feet. One being potentially 100 story residential. Hardly podunk. And that’s hardly scratching the surface. It’s a boomtown

detroit does have a bad habit of replacing its historic architecture with parking lots...
    pizza pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Well not quite so with Brush Park... about 30 years ago Brush Park was full of fancy Victorian home, all down on their luck. The Coleman Young Administration put up some barricades at the ends of some street to try to get a neighborhood revitalized [[without doing anything else).

Unfortunately it didn't have quite the desired effect... and for every restored beauty such as the Ransom Gillis house... 10 were lost in that neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Austin doesn’t have a podunk downtown.
    I've been to Austin. The whole area was built just yesterday it is not comparable to an old city like Detroit and nowhere near as impressive unless you think parking podium condos are impressive. It's the epitome of podunk if you could describe a large city as such.

Austin is a wonderful city, hard to refute that. I love Detroit too, a city with a incredible history with many buildings still around that reflect that. They are two very different places with different evolutions, now if possible lets return to the Hudsons site thread/ discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Austin is a wonderful city, hard to refute that. I love Detroit too, a city with a incredible history with many buildings still around that reflect that. They are two very different places with different evolutions, now if possible lets return to the Hudsons site thread/ discussion.
    Yep. It’s not about Austin vs. Detroit. Even if metro25 doesn’t understand the definition of podunk — small, dull insignificant town. Hopefully now he’s educated. What’s laughable is Austin is bigger than Detroit now and is second only to Silicon Valley for tech jobs and is the state’s capital and the university of Texas is downtown, one of the biggest public colleges in America. Definitely small and insignificant. But Detroit definitely has more history even if it’s a shell of what it once was. Hudson’s is a good step forward in its rebirth. Let’s hope this isn’t another false start renaissance.

^ So you're the type who promotes misinformation, alternative facts if you will, or really just flat out lies.

Austin is NOT bigger than Detroit, not even close. Austin has a metro population barely above 2 million and Austin city limits are insanely large and encompass most of the metro area.

I couldn't care less about UofT or their techy-ness. Austin is built and planned horribly that's the point. Hope you enjoyed this lesson.
    Last edited by Metro25; February-05-20 at 12:03 PM.

Yep. It’s not about Austin vs. Detroit. Even if metro25 doesn’t understand the definition of podunk — small, dull insignificant town. Hopefully now he’s educated. What’s laughable is Austin is bigger than Detroit now and is second only to Silicon Valley for tech jobs and is the state’s capital and the university of Texas is downtown, one of the biggest public colleges in America. Definitely small and insignificant. But Detroit definitely has more history even if it’s a shell of what it once was. Hudson’s is a good step forward in its rebirth. Let’s hope this isn’t another false start renaissance.
    Austin is a great city, but I see Metro's point [[other than the "Podunk" part, because that is not true). Detroit is bigger than Austin in so many ways. It has more density in city proper [[which is roughly half the area of Austin's by square miles) and people who think that being in Metro Detroit means you aren't from Detroit are wrong. So, in those terms, Detroit is, and always will be, far bigger than Austin.

Cherries vs grapefruit.
    Comparing Detroit and Austin is like comparing Montreal and Edmunton.
    An early 20th century boomtown vs a lesser more recent one, among many others.
    And Austin is far from second to silicon valley for tech jobs.

For Tech Jobs, the Rich Cities Are Getting Richer
    Five coastal cities—San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, San Diego, and Boston—gained the lion's share of lucrative “innovation industry” jobs from 2005 to 2017.
    https://www.wired.com/story/tech-job...etting-richer/

I work in tech. And I'm biased. But I still prefer New York, Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Denver, Chicago, DC, Minneapolis, hell, even Salt Lake, Cleveland, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham, maybe Louisville, Charlotte, or even Chattanooga... because Texas.

The best thing about Texas are the people Texans are trying to keep out.
    Last edited by bust; February-05-20 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Austin is a great city, but I see Metro's point [[other than the "Podunk" part, because that is not true). Detroit is bigger than Austin in so many ways. It has more density in city proper [[which is roughly half the area of Austin's by square miles) and people who think that being in Metro Detroit means you aren't from Detroit are wrong. So, in those terms, Detroit is, and always will be, far bigger than Austin.
    It’s not even worth arguing over. Just google top 25 largest cities in the U.S. and you’ll get Austin at 11. Sorry guys, frickin Fort Worth Texas is bigger than you. You didn’t even make top 25.

Yes Detroit has a bigger metro. For now. However last I checked Detroit’s population isn’t growing. In fact it’s still going in the opposite direction. Austin’s doubles every 20 years so it won’t be long before their metro even surpasses Detroit’s. And another thing that irks me is people like Metro25 who don’t give an F about tech jobs. That’s why Detroit is getting left behind!!! If you don’t diversify your economy and get onboard with the 21st century and what’s happening in today’s economy then businesses won’t come. Ford may go bankrupt. And the other two are struggling. Detroit needs more jobs and the auto industry just isn’t the answer. Sad thing is an electric car company started 10 years ago almost has the same value as GM and Chrysler combined! Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Cherries vs grapefruit.
    Comparing Detroit and Austin is like comparing Montreal and Edmunton.
    An early 20th century boomtown like no other vs a lesser more recent one, among many others.
    And Austin is far from second to silicon valley for tech jobs.

For Tech Jobs, the Rich Cities Are Getting Richer
    Five coastal cities—San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, San Diego, and Boston—gained the lion's share of lucrative “innovation industry” jobs from 2005 to 2017.
    https://www.wired.com/story/tech-job...etting-richer/

I work in tech. And I'm biased. But I still prefer New York, Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Denver, Chicago, DC, Minneapolis, hell, even Salt Lake, Cleveland, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham... because Texas.

The best thing about Texas are the people Texans are trying to keep out.
    Yeah, Austin is definitely having a tech moment but it is not Detroit. And it's easily my favorite place in Texas. If I were moving to a city just for tech opportunities, Austin would be in the top 5 [[at the time of this post).

Austin's downtown is probably about the same size as downtown Detroit now, but Metro Detroit is a far bigger region than Metro Austin. If Metro Detroit were more centralized, downtown Detroit would be light years ahead of Austin.

Yeah, Austin is definitely having a tech moment but it is not Detroit. And it's easily my favorite place in Texas. If I were moving to a city just for tech opportunities, Austin would be in the top 5 [[at the time of this post).

Austin's downtown is probably about the same size as downtown Detroit now, but Metro Detroit is a far bigger region than Metro Austin. If Metro Detroit were more centralized, downtown Detroit would be light years ahead of Austin.
    Exactly! If metro Detroit were more centralized....
    Growing up in metro Detroit I never understood the animosity of the burbs towards the city. That’s what killed detroit. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Exactly! If metro Detroit were more centralized....
    Growing up in metro Detroit I never understood the animosity of the burbs towards the city. That’s what killed detroit. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
    Yeah, I should also have noted that Austin punches far above its weight in terms of a downtown.

Yeah, I should also have noted that Austin punches far above its weight in terms of a downtown.
    Someone gets it! It really does. For a city with a small metro it blows my mind what they’re doing. It’s all because of jobs. Trump keeps coming here to tout the jobs too which I hate lol! It makes the traffic which is already bad in this city downright unbearable when that man comes. Apple is building a campus for 15,000 employees on the north side which is their largest outside of Cupertino and google and indeed are building HQs downtown. It’s nuts.

It’s not even worth arguing over. Just google top 25 largest cities in the U.S. and you’ll get Austin at 11. Sorry guys, frickin Fort Worth Texas is bigger than you. You didn’t even make top 25.

Yes Detroit has a bigger metro. For now. However last I checked Detroit’s population isn’t growing. In fact it’s still going in the opposite direction. Austin’s doubles every 20 years so it won’t be long before their metro even surpasses Detroit’s. And another thing that irks me is people like Metro25 who don’t give an F about tech jobs. That’s why Detroit is getting left behind!!! If you don’t diversify your economy and get onboard with the 21st century and what’s happening in today’s economy then businesses won’t come. Ford may go bankrupt. And the other two are struggling. Detroit needs more jobs and the auto industry just isn’t the answer. Sad thing is an electric car company started 10 years ago almost has the same value as GM and Chrysler combined! Yikes.
    Dmberko11 - I respect what you said. And I think many agree that the lack of economic diversification has been a huge problem for Detroit and Metro Detroit for many decades. Long term - and possibly off topic - I have always been of the opinion that Michigan as a state, and Detroit, and more broadly, the Great Lakes cities, are going to be desired places to live sooner rather than later due to a number of things - that may sound weird but it's what I believe. Point being I wouldn't put my beans on Metro Detroit staying stagnant or losing population the next 20 years, nor would I put them on a city like Austin doubling in population the next 20 years.

But

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Dmberko11 - I respect what you said. And I think many agree that the lack of economic diversification has been a huge problem for Detroit and Metro Detroit for many decades. Long term - and possibly off topic - I have always been of the opinion that Michigan as a state, and Detroit, and more broadly, the Great Lakes cities, are going to be desired places to live sooner rather than later due to a number of things - that may sound weird but it's what I believe. Point being I wouldn't put my beans on Metro Detroit staying stagnant or losing population the next 20 years, nor would I put them on a city like Austin doubling in population the next 20 years.

But
    I hope you’re right about growth in Michigan and its cities. It’s a beautiful state. My family would vacation to northern Michigan on an annual basis lol. And we lived in Milford...
    I didn’t even mind living in Dearborn heights at ford and telegraph for a bit. Not too far from downtown Detroit. Detroit has sports teams which Austin will never have, albeit they’re getting an MLS team and are building the stadium as we speak. And Detroit has the university of Michigan! Way better than UT here in Austin. IMO. It’s only a matter of time before Detroit posts a population gain too. Next census may prove that. Every year the loss has been less and less.

Enough about Austin!

At the actual Hudson's Site, it looks like they've dropped off some more parts for the tower crane, and work continues on the block portion. It's nice to see some different types of progress, besides drilling and filling the caissons.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Enough about Austin!

At the actual Hudson's Site, it looks like they've dropped off some more parts for the tower crane, and work continues on the block portion. It's nice to see some different types of progress, besides drilling and filling the caissons.
    I agree. Let's move on to other cities, at least until they ever put this friggin crane up.

Page 68 of 143 FirstFirst ... 18 58 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 78 118 ... LastLast