Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 111 of 143 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3565

It was Mike Hurst who pushed the Chrysler project forward, even when the developer scaled it back from 32 to 14 stories and demanded a substantial investment from the city to get it built. The historic Norwich block was demolished and the facade of the neo-classical TD bank at the corner of Ouellette and Riverside was carefully dismantled and put into storage for use at a future date.

Might be hard to tell from this angle but the Hudson Tower might be as tall as the Detroit Savings Building. The elevator cores rose up on 3/14.

Attachment 42008

never noticed that glass atrium on the DSB, its so iconic! i guess i missed it cuz the Stott [[and its busted next-door neighbor by contrast) kinda eclipses the eye on that mini block. love a lower-key gem.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Might be hard to tell from this angle but the Hudson Tower might be as tall as the Detroit Savings Building. The elevator cores rose up on 3/14.

Attachment 42008
    I thought that the tower was going be the same height as Comerica Tower

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Comerica Tower height = 619 ft.
    Hudson's Tower height = 681 ft.

At least that's the last height listing for Hudson's.

685ft I believe.

Sorry should've reworded, the current elevator cores are as tall as the Detroit Savings Building [[or so it seems).

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    never noticed that glass atrium on the DSB, its so iconic! i guess i missed it cuz the Stott [[and its busted next-door neighbor by contrast) kinda eclipses the eye on that mini block. love a lower-key gem.
    Not as epic as you might think. It’s filled with an interior stairwell and elevator core done to bring it up to code. Was surprised and disappointed when in the building a few years ago.

It does seem that the Hudson Tower portion is starting to move faster. This is an update on 3/24. Looks like the elevator core has gone up so maybe 1-1.5 weeks per floor at least for now.Attachment 42019

Even though the tower is only a few floors and the block is wrapped in plastic, the size of this project is absolutely massive from the street level.

Gonna be taller than OCM soon.

Looks like the elevator core rose today. Update as of 4/5.

Attachment 42034

Looks like the block is topped out! Pretty big milestone for a project that was just "pushing dirt around" https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGR14PL...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

It really is incredible to see Detroit build the world's first dirt skyscrapers.

Quote Originally Posted by ILKSGAMI View Post
    Looks like the block is topped out! Pretty big milestone for a project that was just "pushing dirt around" https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGR14PL...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    It's certainly breaking the record for the skyscraper under construction the longest in modern history.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's certainly breaking the record for the skyscraper under construction the longest in modern history.
    Keep moving those goalposts!

What do you mean " the longest"?

What do you mean " the longest"?
    What I said, the longest.

The "groundbreaking" was nearly 5 years ago.

The RenCen was completed in 4 years

That wont be 5 years ago until end of this December lol, almost a full year from now. Talk about exaggeration. It wasn't groundbreaking either, it was the start of removal of an underground parking garage. Actual groundbreaking wasn't until over a year later.

You must not watch a lot of big developments, this is hardly the longest for skyscraper construction and nowhere near longest for planning. It's also not just one skyscraper.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; April-09-22 at 10:23 PM.

And that was multiple high rises with 1970s technology/equipment.

This is a single skyscraper using modern technology/equipment for construction and even now [[nearly 5 years later), it's still nowhere near completion.

Yep! The Empire State Building was built in less than a year and a half with the technology of the 30's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_State_Building

The Empire State Building was constructed in the 30s, when building construction was simpler, labor was plentiful due to the Depression and safety standards were almost non-existent. Five people died during construction.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The Empire State Building was constructed in the 30s, when building construction was simpler, labor was plentiful due to the Depression and safety standards were almost non-existent. Five people died during construction.
    Even the Sears Tower, which started construcution just a few years before the RenCen [[that, as mentioned earlier, took only 4 years to build 5 towers), was built in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I know we're off topic somewhat but there are some excellent documentaries on the Empire construction. The owner really put the pressure on to rush completion. It was fascinating what was done. Steel would be forged in Pennsylvania and rushed overnight to the site. Workers burned their hands installing it because it was still hot.