Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 71 of 143 FirstFirst ... 21 61 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3565

At 1:30, they started putting up some kind of wall on the block side:

Lots of activity!

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I have no idea what that might be! Exciting stuff for "just moving dirt around"!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I have no idea what that might be! Exciting stuff for "just moving dirt around"!
    Pretty crazy the things we can do with dirt these days!

Looks like a concrete form for a wall. Around 2:05 you can see them hoisting a rebar cage into place there as well.

Default We Are Drilling The Caissons We forgot to drill originally

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Have you ever heard of MissDig? Every single caisson has been mapped out, as though on a blueprint. I highly doubt they would drill and forget.
    Awhile ago I saw a forecast that said they would completed with caisson drilling the end of January. Watching the latest YouTube video they are still drilling caissons on March 7, 2020. Maybe with so many they forgot a few and had to go back. The caisson drilling machine has grown very tired and will need an engine rebuild when it is done drilling at the Hudsons site. The engine smokes something fierce.

With this huge downturn in the economy, [[which I hope is short in duration), I don't mind if they slow the building process down until the economy recovers. Maybe the hotel and residential recovery will allow the design to grow a bit more vertically. I know, I know, I'm dreaming!

Work seems to be going on at the same rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNNvxxj3H4Y

Talked to somebody doing renovation work on a large home. They see no impact on their project.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Work seems to be going on at the same rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNNvxxj3H4Y
    So you mean at a snail's pace? At least this virus thing gives them an excuse.

^Did you bother to watch the video? activity everywhere, looks buzzing.

It is obvious that the amount of men and machines working in that hole has picked up considerably as winters grip is loosening. Not sure how anyone watching the videos can’t see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    ^Did you bother to watch the video? activity everywhere, looks buzzing.
    I'm just laughing at the whole thread, sitting here in Toronto where a new 80 story high rise goes up in months and about 50 are being built at the same time [[with no construction shortage thanks to immigration).

^^
    Canada has an open policy on employing illegal immigrants?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm just laughing at the whole thread, sitting here in Toronto where a new 80 story high rise goes up in months and about 50 are being built at the same time [[with no construction shortage thanks to immigration).
    Projects move at scale according to budget. I’m pretty sure everyone is fully aware that the growth in Toronto is moving at a faster pace than Detroit with budgets considerably higher. But hey thanks Captain obvious don’t know what we would do with out such deep thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Projects move at scale according to budget. I’m pretty sure everyone is fully aware that the growth in Toronto is moving at a faster pace than Detroit with budgets considerably higher. But hey thanks Captain obvious don’t know what we would do with out such deep thinkers.
    You are very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You are very welcome.
    For those of us old enough to have witnessed, first-hand, the decline from the 1970's through 2010, the last 10 years have been surprising, to say the least. Do I wish the pace of redevelopment was even faster? Of course. Would I like to see the sky dotted with tower cranes? Yes. More importantly, would I like to see the commercial arteries through the neighborhoods lined with shops and businesses, as they once were? Absolutely. But at the same time, it seems I've seen more investment and development in the last 10 years than the 30 years prior. I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    For those of us old enough to have witnessed, first-hand, the decline from the 1970's through 2010, the last 10 years have been surprising, to say the least. Do I wish the pace of redevelopment was even faster? Of course. Would I like to see the sky dotted with tower cranes? Yes. More importantly, would I like to see the commercial arteries through the neighborhoods lined with shops and businesses, as they once were? Absolutely. But at the same time, it seems I've seen more investment and development in the last 10 years than the 30 years prior. I'll take it.
    Look, I've been coming to Detroit since the 1960's. My first Tiger game was in 1967. The National Guard was at the ticket window. I'm a huge Detroit booster. I was the first on here to suggest a donation to Dan Gilbert's charity after his stroke. I have no problem with the slow progress at the Hudson's Site after all he's done for Detroit development. I'm just having fun with the relative newcomers here who have been talking for months about the progress being made and that the cranes will rise next week. They're going incredibly slow. They have their reasons. I'm fine with that.

Toronto doesn't have the ridiculous 51% on unskilled residential hiring rule that Detroit has. It's not the busget. The elephant on the room is the rules that city government put on developers in order to build in Detroit. This make Detroit a city to stay away from

I am not mad about it. The skyline will still look good. I figured they must have finalized something because they've recently seem to be clearing the caissons for the tower portion of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
    I am not mad about it. The skyline will still look good. I figured they must have finalized something because they've recently seem to be clearing the caissons for the tower portion of the site.
    I’ll be perfectly satisfied if it’s completed that way.

It will likely then be 60 ft. taller than the Ally [[former Comerica) Tower... which is a nice soaring height.

While having a borderline supertall would have been nice, that's nothing but ego. What really matters is how this building interacts with the street level. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm optimistic.

While having a borderline supertall would have been nice, that's nothing but ego. What really matters is how this building interacts with the street level. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm optimistic.
    Making the last couple of hundred feet so narrow just to add unnecessary height did seem costly and impractical. I wondered what the initial plan was - 4 hotel rooms or 1 condo per floor?

I'm glad to see they finally put this to rest and we can all stop debating and ripping Bedrock for the lack or info. That height seems like it will fit in nicely with the area and skyline. Yea, 1000ft would have been nice, but if it's just for vanity and serves no real purpose, what's the point? I'd rather have a great product at 680 that an half empty vanity tower at 1000 any day.

On a construction note, viewing the youtube feed, it's kinda amazing to finally see exactly the surface area the tower will cover on the site. I admittedly thought it was going to cover more area from the conceptual drawings. The "base" or "cube" or whatever name they are calling it now will be what we are all going to be staring at on street level. Can't wait to see this thing start rising.

Page 71 of 143 FirstFirst ... 21 61 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 81 121 ... LastLast