Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 110 of 143 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3565

Great video today, lots of activity. Keep in mind that soon the core will be too tall for the 12th floor camera to reach.

The camera is has essentially filled it's purpose. It showed us all the work that was going on when it was below ground. Progress from now on will be very visible.

Nothing too surprising in this news report, but it was interesting to see the footage from the Hudson Site YouTube channel on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    The camera is has essentially filled it's purpose. It showed us all the work that was going on when it was below ground. Progress from now on will be very visible.
    Not yet! Although the tower core will soon block the vision of just about everything, the camera will still be able to catch steel work for the tower section for a while. Thus far all the steel work seems to have happened after-hours or when the camera was down. I'm dying to see some steel going up on the time lapse.

Once the steel goes up beyond the camera, then I'll feel the same way about it serving its purpose. We can also reposition the camera to look further up or further down. Perhaps we can get a little more life out of it by pointing it up.

It is neat to see this project steadily progressing. It's real. It's happening. With each new concrete core floor and each new steel beam the Hudson-deniers grow more and more silent.

On the downside, this is really going to spoil the view I used to have from my work area. I work on the 7th floor now and much of the Hudson site is now higher than it.

Also worth noting, this thread hit 1 million views recently. It's only second to the Detroit's Wealth of Architectural Talent thread that has been around for almost ten years.

I am surprised that Windsor didn't build a tower taller than the RenCen being that they are not under the height limitation rule that Detroit put itself under

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am surprised that Windsor didn't build a tower taller than the RenCen being that they are not under the height limitation rule that Detroit put itself under
    Another conspiracy theory?? Wink Wink

I always knew about the height restrictions, but couldn't find any info on it. Is it myth or fact that proposed buildings [[including Hudson's) higher than the Ren Cen were shot down because of that?

I believe the plans were drawn up for an 85 storey skyscraper anchored by a Target store on the main level until Target went under in Canada. Also they remembered for a city the size of Windsor that would be really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    I always knew about the height restrictions, but couldn't find any info on it. Is it myth or fact that proposed buildings [[including Hudson's) higher than the Ren Cen were shot down because of that?
    There are no height restrictions downtown other than certain setback requirements. The person was making a joke.

TOWER SIDE - Steel is now rising up high enough to support the third floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    TOWER SIDE - Steel is now rising up high enough to support the third floor!
    If you look closely it's actually the 4th.

There's a small section of second floor along the side of the elevator floor that's kinda hard to notice, and the newest steel in the back behind the core is rising two stories, not one

While downtown Detroit continues to bloom in exciting and unexpected ways, its' neighbor Windsor faces one blow after another. Latest news out of Windsor has the Windsor Star closing its' downtown news room on the corner of University and Ouellette. "With a whimper not a bang" the paper has decided to have its' employees work from home. For those of you old enough to remember, the Windsor Star once operated from its' iconic circa 1920s head office on the corner of Pitt and Ferry Streets, which included a printing plant next door where the copies of the Windsor Star were printed for distribution. Maybe Dan Gilbert can step in and take over the empty space on Ouellette like he did with the abandoned Fish Market across the street from the old Windsor Star HQ. Come on Dan, you did a great job bringing the old Fish Market to life, maybe you can do something with 300 Ouellette or even the Paul Martin building aka post office, which has been empty for over a decade.

Looks like the Hudson Site videos are back up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1t1smKW4kM

Think they might be putting up steel at night, but they are finally progressing on the 2nd/3rd floor.

Attachment 41959

Nice shot, ShadowSoarer!

I wonder once the shorter part is complete will retail be opening in it while the tower is is still being constructed

I wonder once the shorter part is complete will retail be opening in it while the tower is is still being constructed
    I would imagine, no reason to just sit on it if it's ready. Plus, at this rate, the skyscraper is going to open in like 2035.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I would imagine, no reason to just sit on it if it's ready. Plus, at this rate, the skyscraper is going to open in like 2035.
    Nope it's pretty much on schedule from their last update

For the tower section, shouldn't they be putting up a floor either every week or two weeks to meet the 2024 deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    For the tower section, shouldn't they be putting up a floor either every week or two weeks to meet the 2024 deadline?
    Every 3 weeks: they have 49 floors, and 47 remaining weeks in 2022, 52 weeks in 2023, and realistically half of 2024.

Their current velocity [[if you factor out the snow/extreme cold shutdowns) is one floor every two weeks. That's not bad considering the fact that they're clearly only working after hours.

Once the block is done, those workers will be able to come over to the tower and accelerate progress considerably

The tower also gets slimmer as it goes up, so the later floors should take less time.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    Every 3 weeks: they have 49 floors, and 47 remaining weeks in 2022, 52 weeks in 2023, and realistically half of 2024.

Their current velocity [[if you factor out the snow/extreme cold shutdowns) is one floor every two weeks. That's not bad considering the fact that they're clearly only working after hours.

Once the block is done, those workers will be able to come over to the tower and accelerate progress considerably
    Oh ok was thinking that they would average 1-2 weeks to give them time to do stuff like interior and facade work [[not sure how they plan on doing some parts simultaneously).

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post

It’s not easy to predict floor schedules at this point in construction. Generally the core will rise first really tall because the steel will catch up fast.

The residential tower is being built like an office tower. Residential towers are all concrete and rarely have primary steel skeletons. Most mid to upper section concrete residential towers are built at 1 floor every 3 days….when there’s a standard workday. An office tower is typical around a floor per week. But remember that most office buildings have really large floorplates and this tower will be residential / hotel with smaller floors.

For 12 years I’ve walked past countless skyscrapers under construction and have a feel for estimates of how long things take, but I’m clueless here. Hudson’s is totally different because of its intensive mixed use programming and rare use of steel in a residential high rise.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-15-22 at 02:44 AM.

Too bad Windsor doesn't have a visionary developer like Dan Gilbert. Our own Hudson Tower, the Chrysler building at the foot of Ouellette and Riverside, was scaled back from a breath-taking 32 stories to a puny 14 thanks to an idiot of a mayor and his lapdogs on city council who were taken for a ride by a crooked developer.

Default Drew Dilkins is a pig

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret's boy View Post
    Too bad Windsor doesn't have a visionary developer like Dan Gilbert. Our own Hudson Tower, the Chrysler building at the foot of Ouellette and Riverside, was scaled back from a breath-taking 32 stories to a puny 14 thanks to an idiot of a mayor and his lapdogs on city council who were taken for a ride by a crooked developer.
    Drew Dilkins is a pig, Rob Ford or even Kwame would be a better mayor