Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Genius Alert: Jacob Collier in Detroit 6-6-24

He's been called the Mozart of Gen-Z, which IMHO discounts his genius.

Live in Lisbon 2022https://youtu.be/uw8_DpBqenI?t=2
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; Yesterday at 12:18 PM.

This guy is incredible on the Piano! Corey Henry and him are the only two I can trust for an out of this Galaxy Solo! Definitely worth the price of the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    ...Definitely worth the price of the ticket!
    Agreed. Amazingly, Jacob Collier is a self-taught instrumentalist and composer. In concert his musicians are not improvising but, as with the music of Quincy Jones, all parts are pre-specified in full symphonic scores with vocals, melodies, harmonies and rhythms that are micro-tonal, sophisticated, complex, and emotionally moving.

In comparison, most musical "artists" sound like wannabe Tiny Tims serenading their Miss Vickies on the ukelele.

This guy is incredible on the Piano! Corey Henry and him are the only two I can trust for an out of this Galaxy Solo! Definitely worth the price of the ticket!
    Corey Henry is not of this earth.

Um... shouldn't this topic be in DYes CHIT-CHAT ROOM??

Not Detroit related, except for a concert appearance...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um... shouldn't this topic be in DYes CHIT-CHAT ROOM??

Not Detroit related, except for a concert appearance...
    It's a big deal because only a few years back an artist of his stature would have by-passed Detroit entirely -- instead might have appeared in Ann Arbor. I'm confused as to how you presume to be the DYes gestapo...You're like the busy-body neighbor who watches out her lace curtains to ensure no children step on her lawn

Not my idea of a good time.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; April-30-24 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    He's been called the Mozart of Gen-Z, which IMHO discounts his genius.
    Thanks for the heads up. He's a loose affiliate of the LA based soul/funk/jazz revival thing going on, that includes Louis Cole, Vulfpeck [[technically from Ann Arbor) Snarky Puppy, Scary Pockets, etc...

Here's Collier, Louis Cole [[Drums), Sam Wilkes [[Bass) jamming out Elenore Rigby:

It's a big deal because only a few years back an artist of his stature would have by-passed Detroit entirely -- instead might have appeared in Ann Arbor.
    Now if this guy came here to kick things off at the concert at the 6.6. 2024 concert at Michigan Central Station... it would be more newsworthy on DYES...

Concert to lead 'global celebration for Detroit' at Michigan Central reopening June 6 [[msn.com)

...newsworthy...
    Yawn! With all due respect, if readers become aware of Jacob Collier's performance only when D'Yes publishes its weekly list of fun things to do, there won't be any tickets left. Concerts and celebrations are fun, but hearing a world-historical composer is possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity. The experiences are incommensurate.

https://www.babelmatrix.org/works/en...es_and_Pygmies

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Elenore Rigby
    Thanks

He's been called the Mozart of Gen-Z, which IMHO discounts his genius....

Concerts and celebrations are fun, but hearing a world-historical composer is possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity. The experiences are incommensurate.
    Well then, if he is anywhere near as good as your hyperbole of him, then maybe... but yes he is very good.

I had never heard of him before this "thread"... but then again, I'm just a boomer.

... but yes he is very good.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by henry whalley View Post
    it's a big deal because only a few years back an artist of his stature would have by-passed detroit entirely -- instead might have appeared in ann arbor. I'm confused as to how you presume to be the dyes gestapo...you're like the busy-body neighbor who watches out her lace curtains to ensure no children step on her lawn

Not my idea of a good time.
    tdltr

Thanks, I'll listen to Corey Henry

Thanks, I'll listen to Corey Henry