Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
If Dan Gilbert immediately stopped everything he is doing [which won't happen] what he has already done has materialized just fine for Detroit. Would I prefer "state/downtown development authority act more like investors"? Sure but while all that is going and waiting to happen, as it did for decades, he has far, far more than anyone transformed downtown from a ghost town to an increasingly vibrant downtown in few short years.

As for securing financing it should be noted that his Quicken loans cash cow just set yet another record quarter in revenue. I fail to see how he, of anyone and with all his connections and wealth, will have any issue in finding the money, which, at a pinch, he could pay out of his own abundant pockets.

Regarding taxpayer return the 17,000 Quicken employees paying CoD resident and non-resident tax [that weren't doing so six years ago] not to mention all the spin off business generated has gotten taxpayers" real returns".
He's obviously done a lot for Detroit and guess what? He plans on making a ton of money in it. This has been a business decision for profit. I'm glad he made it. He's been instrumental to downtown's turnaround and should be praised for it.
Yet the things you mention, we're evident BEFORE yhe incentives we're finalized. Thus, did government incentivize a project for Gilbert's past investment and not the actual Hudson's project and Monroe? Is that ok or sound policy?