Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 70 of 143 FirstFirst ... 20 60 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 80 120 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 3566

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Have there been indications of the city slowing them down? I've heard nothing of the sort.
    51% of Detroiters hiring rule and other hidden stipulations before going to the next level

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    51% of Detroiters hiring rule and other hidden stipulations before going to the next level
    What hidden stipulations? It's all outlined pretty clearly in the CBO that Bedrock agreed to.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    What hidden stipulations? It's all outlined pretty clearly in the CBO that Bedrock agreed to.
    Yes but then reality of fulfilling the agreement starts the delays. I know this happened with City Modern

Quote Originally Posted by AmberM View Post
    Why is there a bigger crew working at the TCF/Chemical Bank 20-story site than there is at Hudson's?
    how do you even come up with lies like this? and also, like... why?

Why is there a bigger crew working at the TCF/Chemical Bank 20-story site than there is at Hudson's?
    Short answer:

It's not a speculative building.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Short answer:

It's not a speculative building.
    The fact that the details are locked in and this is a building that is being built exclusively for TCF, I could see how that could accelerate things.

I'm still not convinced that we're dealing in actual facts. Once we get a nice day in the 50's again I'll talk a walk down there and start counting hard hats
    Last edited by Scottathew; February-13-20 at 08:14 AM.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but could it just be the optics? The Hudson's site is about 8 times the size of the TCF site. So having the TCF workers working on a much smaller site... maybe if all the Hudson site workers were brought into a smaller work area... that that might not be the case?

I do agree that the Hudson's site is in "slow mode" because I think they are still trying to get tower residents... both rental and hotel... issues worked out. I'm also kinda skeptical about "event space" in the block part of the site.

Downtown Detroit already has a lot of event space... in the arena/stadia, as well as all the lobbies and auditoriums of the downtown theatres. With the slowdown in traveling Broadway and other shows, all the downtown theatres [[and Detroit Opera House) spend a lot of time hosting weddings, and many business functions in their ornate interiors.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-13-20 at 04:08 AM.

I'm down here every day, no reason to lie. The worker size is clearly larger at TCF/Chemical. And the worker size at FCA factory is larger than both by a factor of 10.
    Thanks for the reply, you just clarified the obvious... Hudson's project is on "go slow" mode until they clear hurdles about how to configure their complex. Looks like some hurdles still need to be jumped for leases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the reply, you just clarified the obvious... Hudson's project is on "go slow" mode until they clear hurdles about how to configure their complex. Looks like some hurdles still need to be jumped for leases.
    There is no urgency for the Hudson’s site to be completed. TCF on the other hand is operating a split HQ currently, and not having everyone consolidated in one building hurts the company’s bottom line. Point being TCF needs their tower completed yesterday, while Bedrock is still trying to fill the building with more tenants.

There is what appears to be part of the tower crane at the site.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Nice! I'll definitely be checking out the YouTube video tonight

So I think we can conclude that more workers supposedly being at TCF was another total lie. Which was kinda obvious Hudson's site is huge there is no way it had less workers on site.

I'm a total amateur, but our analysis is that it is a crane part, but not for one of the stationary cranes. It just doesn't look like it would make sense to put on the crane bases. It looks like it matches one of the existing movable cranes. Almost as if they're going to make the one existing red crane even taller...

Time shall tell!

Good point! The new crane part is red, while the base is yellow.

Good point! The new crane part is red, while the base is yellow.
    So in the video, it is apparent they just swapped out one red crane section for another. Perhaps the old red crane section was damaged or defective somehow? The total crane height appears to remain the same as before, again just with the red crane having a new top section in place of the old one that was removed. The old section was still there in the pit at the end of the video, so who knows what the future may hold for it..,.

Today they removed one of the drilling machines from "The Pit". I hope this means that they're done drilling!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Today they removed one of the drilling machines from "The Pit". I hope this means that they're done drilling!
    I noticed they’ve started uncovering some of the tower caissons as well. I’m assuming it’s to prep them for vertical columns like they’ve started putting on the block side.

Quote Originally Posted by JK313 View Post
    I noticed they’ve started uncovering some of the tower caissons as well. I’m assuming it’s to prep them for vertical columns like they’ve started putting on the block side.
    Can someone explain the vertical columns that are already constructed on the block side? Are those cement? I guess my assumption was steel was going to rise from the basement up. Does this act as a footing? Do all of the vertical columns begin as cement then transition to steel?
    Last edited by mikeg19; February-21-20 at 04:44 PM.

Yep, they are cement with rebar. They build the forms, fill them with cement and take down the forms. Here's some good closeups of what that might look like as the structure rises to ground level on a project going on in Chicago.

They've also started building these on the tower side of the site.

Didn’t know if you folks saw this yet ?
    http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=471
    Last edited by Detroitdave; February-23-20 at 08:53 AM.

Those diagrams are drawn by skyscraper enthusiasts, based on public information. But it's nice seeing the buildings lined up together.

The diagram shows the tallest announced height, while the more likely height would put it between the Ren Cen and One Detroit Center. It's going to be a tall building either way.

It is strange to think of a possible new 600 ft tall building as a disappointment, but Bedrock is at fault for setting the bar to high when they placed [[and still list) the height at 912 on their website for the building. It is a fault of our corporate culture to dream to high. The common thinking is every year is going to be the best year ever and the profits will never end. If a company experience losses it’s blamed on lack of vision or the wrong workers in position. Hard working people are let go because they’re not producing at unrealistic levels. Reality never comes into the discussion. Look at the Renaissance Center and you see what over reaching causes.
    The fact is, almost every one of us was excited initially when Bedrock announced a building on the Hudson’s site. Many of the original design competition proposals had NO high rise on the site. We would have been excited for any building on the site equal to the original Hudson’s height. Then the announcement of a 700/800/900 plus ft building blew our dreams sky high.
    The fact is the final building will be an exciting addition to the Detroit skyline but we will always know what might have been, just like the 1930s promises of a larger book tower and 3 tower [[including 1000 ft) fisher building complex that never came to be. The moral is that excitement does not create success or buildings, need does.
    Last edited by DetroitRises; February-23-20 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post
    It is strange to think of a possible new 600 ft tall building as a disappointment, but Bedrock is at fault for setting the bar to high when they placed [[and still list) the height at 912 on their website for the building. It is a fault of our corporate culture to dream to high. The common thinking is every year is going to be the best year ever and the profits will never end. If a company experience losses it’s blamed on lack of vision or the wrong workers in position. Hard working people are let go because they’re not producing at unrealistic levels. Reality never comes into the discussion. Look at the Renaissance Center and you see what over reaching causes.
    The fact is, almost every one of us was excited initially when Bedrock announced a building on the Hudson’s site. Many of the original design competition proposals had NO high rise on the site. We would have been excited for any building on the site equal to the original Hudson’s height. Then the announcement of a 700/800/900 plus ft building blew our dreams sky high.
    The fact is the final building will be an exciting addition to the Detroit skyline but we will always know what might have been, just like the 1930s promises of a larger book tower and 3 tower [[including 1000 ft) fisher building complex that never came to be. The moral is that excitement does not create success or buildings, need does.
    I think we're all happy Dan decided to build on the site but 3 yrs. later we all know that construction has been at a snail's pace because the building still has no real purpose and no announced tenants. Is more retail space really needed when there are still tons of empty storefronts owned by Gilbert and retail is shrinking? Do we really need more exhibit space? Is there demand for more high end condos? If so, how many? It's pretty difficult to design and build a multi-purpose building, especially one this large, strictly on spec.

I hope actual construction once and for all begins this year. If not...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I hope actual construction once and for all begins this year. If not...
    Technically it already has with those posts over on the block side.

It also looks like they're totally done with block side caisson work, so it's gonna be a matter of time before they finish all those posts, at which point they'll be forced to remove the dirt ramp

Page 70 of 143 FirstFirst ... 20 60 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 80 120 ... LastLast