Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 139 of 143 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 3565

Is there any hope at all of them ever adding an observation deck near the top? I'm still so bummed that was cut from the original plan. What is the top floor going to be, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    Is there any hope at all of them ever adding an observation deck near the top? I'm still so bummed that was cut from the original plan. What is the top floor going to be, exactly?
    It doesn't look like there is any room at the top for either an observation deck or restaurant. The top few floors appear to all be mechanical...

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/attach...2&d=1703122280

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It doesn't look like there is any room at the top for either an observation deck or restaurant. The top few floors appear to all be mechanical...

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/attach...2&d=1703122280
    In addition to the ongoing cost of maintenance, staffing, security, etc. I imagine the space in such a narrow building and the cost of dedicated elevators would have have been a major issue. You certainly don't want your million dollar tenants having to board with the "riff raff".

Here's a great video from New Year's Day from Michael Anthony Videos:

For those of you who go to the Holiday displays at the HENRY FORD... this years exhibition of the buildings of Detroit in LEGO... new this year to that exhibit is the Hudson's Tower... built to show it is still under construction, but sans the crane.

The Detroit area LEGO enthusiasts have done an amazing job [only for hobbyists with deep pockets] of building all the major buildings of downtown and midtown and New Center Detroit.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/11/1...-skyline-legos
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Update as of 1/4:
    Name:  IMG_2709.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  142.0 KB

Default Hudsons Site

From what I can determine from some of the very latest pictures of this building it looks like it is taller now than the RenCen. Does anyone else agree with that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    From what I can determine from some of the very latest pictures of this building it looks like it is taller now than the RenCen. Does anyone else agree with that thought.
    Probably just an optical conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    If viewing from the north or west, sure, but that is only because the building is closer to you than the Ren Cen. It is going to be 41 feet shorter than the Ren Cen when completed.

For those of you who go to the Holiday displays at the HENRY FORD... this years exhibition of the buildings of Detroit in LEGO... new this year to that exhibit is the Hudson's Tower... built to show it is still under construction, but sans the crane.

The Detroit area LEGO enthusiasts have done an amazing job [only for hobbyists with deep pockets] of building all the major buildings of downtown and midtown and New Center Detroit.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/11/1...-skyline-legos
    This is awesome! Sadly, that is the former design when it was set to be over 900 ft tall.. I really do wish they could have found that second hotel and done it. It’s the most prime spot [[aside from the Monroe Block) for a skyscraper in Detroit; it makes me wonder if we will ever have a supertall—without a rail system, I don’t see it happening ever :[[

It's still pretty lame how they couldn't just find that extra 40 feet and surpass the Ren Cen. If you're building that tall anyways, you may as well go for the gold. Shame they cut the observation deck too. Detroit is one of the few large cities I can think of without public access to the top, or near the top of the skyline.

It's still pretty lame how they couldn't just find that extra 40 feet and surpass the Ren Cen. If you're building that tall anyways, you may as well go for the gold. Shame they cut the observation deck too. Detroit is one of the few large cities I can think of without public access to the top, or near the top of the skyline.
    Go to Highlands and have a cocktail.

This is very costly project which was already risky before the pandemic made the office portion much riskier. Having to make the upper floors wider to accomodate separate elevators and an observation deck no longer made economic sense. Just be happy this project got off the ground before the pandemic.

An interesting fact about the hotel tower at the Renaissance Center. From the Jefferson Entrance to the top of the tower is 727 ft. However... from the lower back [Wintergarten] entrance it is 748ft. to the top. Which explains why the Renaissance Center does look taller from Windsor.

Since downtown rises in elevation as you go away from the river, I wonder how high the 685 ft. Hudson's Tower actually will be, geographically speaking?
    Last edited by Gistok; January-08-24 at 11:10 AM.

Update as of 1/17:

Default Hudsons Site

With our extreme cold, can they pour concrete in these ambient temps we are having. Is there a method to supply warmth to the forms after the concrete is poured so it will cure before failing and cracking because of the extreme cold. They still seem to have a bit if construction to do at the top remaining.

We'll know when they are topped off in height, when they add the traditional Pine tree to the rooftop.

Default Hudsons Site

We'll know when they are topped off in height, when they add the traditional Pine tree to the rooftop.
    But,

Do you know if there is a way to pour concrete at that height and to be able to maintain some warmth to the forms while it cures. Obviously, steel does not require heat, but a concrete pour does.

Concrete requires >41°F for 48 hours?

Most people will not be able to identify that the Renaissance Center is taller than the Hudson's Tower.

Reason why? The mid downtown area is on ground about 30-50 ft. higher than the area around the Renaissance Center.

https://detroitmap360.com/detroit-topographic-map

The EDITION hotel is confirmed to be open in 2025.

https://www.editionhotels.com/coming-soon/

Very odd. Detroit isn't showing up on that list or map for me?
    Name:  editionhotel.png
Views: 588
Size:  27.1 KB
    Name:  editionhotel2.png
Views: 585
Size:  43.5 KB

Very odd. Detroit isn't showing up on that list or map for me?
    Name:  editionhotel.png
Views: 588
Size:  27.1 KB
    Name:  editionhotel2.png
Views: 585
Size:  43.5 KB

It looks like it has been removed from the list [[probably temporarily and until the official announcement?) after the Free Press reported today.
    Last edited by RAPLAS; January-29-24 at 04:26 PM.

Update as of 2/3:
    Name:  IMG_2780.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  207.8 KB

An interesting fact about the hotel tower at the Renaissance Center. From the Jefferson Entrance to the top of the tower is 727 ft. However... from the lower back [Wintergarten] entrance it is 748ft. to the top. Which explains why the Renaissance Center does look taller from Windsor.

Since downtown rises in elevation as you go away from the river, I wonder how high the 685 ft. Hudson's Tower actually will be, geographically speaking?
    How is the back half of the tower is taller than the front half?