Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 84 of 143 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 134 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 3565

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

You’ll typically see the tower crane operator at sunrise crawling up the long ladders carrying the essentials: full lunchbox, maybe a thermos, and 2 water jugs. After the shift, you’ll see him crawling down with an empty lunchbox, and empty water jug and also one full of dark yellow pee.
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Love it!
    I wonder what these crane operators make, they are probably part of the Operating Engineers Union and it is a skilled trade.

What is the word on the ramp being removed? It looks like they started to remove the cement barriers partially last week for some reason. At what point will that have to go?

I believe they just make scale maybe a few bucks more if they are lucky. Skilled trades scale are roughly $35/hr on the check. Give or take 2-5 bucks depending on the trade. The tower crane operator usually works a ton of hrs though so probably make around 140k/year give or take. I dont know any crane operators personally but I talk to them all the time on jobs. Most just make what we all make and work the same hrs etc... They[[the operators) are just there to make lifts for whoever needs it. They run smaller cranes and hi-lo's etc... The tower crane packs in the hrs though on a job like that cuz all trades are working overtime and they are also. Plus if there are more than one shift working the crane dude may work part of another shift.
    Last edited by abraham; July-20-20 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    I wonder what these crane operators make, they are probably part of the Operating Engineers Union and it is a skilled trade.
    From the first story in Gistok's link: "It’s a $100-125,000 a year job – from the day you start!..."

Based on yesterday's video, it looks like they are packing up the caisson drilling machine.

The jib on the south tower crane was taken down today. What would cause this?

Quote Originally Posted by JTburner View Post
    The jib on the south tower crane was taken down today. What would cause this?

Weather change. Probably putting up a #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It's back up now.

I don't think many are going to get a sailing joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    I don't think many are going to get a sailing joke.
    Tough crowd. Yeah, that one went flat like a spinnaker in dead air. Appreciate your reply, sincerely!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    It's back up now.
    Maybe the crane is on a different leg for the finish?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    They [[the operators) are just there to make lifts for whoever needs it.
    This is like characterizing the job of an airline pilot as "they fly whatever routes are assigned to them". Much like a pilot, being a crane Operating Engineer [[tower, crawler, or mobile) involves nearly the same job requirements: a mix of technical skill, undivided attention, and a commitment to preserving the safety of life & property.

The job pays quite well [[typically 100k+ depending on the strength of the local union and willingness to work at least some OT) as it should. The consequences of not following lift plans properly or ignoring the "this pick doesn't feel right" intuition [[which only comes with skilled experience) can be devastating in terms of human and/or financial cost.

A single major accident involving a tipped crane or dropped hoist can cost the reputation of a crane company, not to mention the Operator personally.

Unfortunately, crane OE is one of many trades where employers & the union can't find young people willing to enter apprenticeship [[the average age of a journeyman is 50+), despite the fact that a degree is not required and it's a ticket into the middle class. Unlike some, I don't don't subscribe to the theory that this is because the current generation is "inherently lazy" or is "not interested in getting their hands dirty".

In countries like Germany, when a young person certifies into their guild, it is treated like acquiring a college diploma. Perhaps, culturally, if we respected our skilled trades in the same way in the US, we could do a more efficient job of matching skills & education to available jobs. "Vocational" classes at both the HS & Jr college are vital pipelines to the nation's economy.

<stepping down from off-topic soapbox>

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    In countries like Germany, when a young person certifies into their guild, it is treated like acquiring a college diploma. Perhaps, culturally, if we respected our skilled trades in the same way in the US, we could do a more efficient job of matching skills & education to available jobs. "Vocational" classes at both the HS & Jr college are vital pipelines to the nation's economy.
    Exactly. There's a stigma around people who don't go to college. I think the pandemic might burst the higher ed bubble though, which hopefully changes how we look at career choices.

Caisson drilling machine is gone and the red crane was disassembled this morning and is already being removed as well

No offense to the person posting the daily timelapse updates on youtube of the Hudson site construction, but I find it a bit odd that Bedrock doesn't have a live cam of the site like District Detroit did for this mega project. It'd be kinda nice to have a multi camera view of the site to watch what's happening.

Official video from Bedrock, it's only a minute long, but it has some great drone footage and some on-site shots.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    No offense to the person posting the daily timelapse updates on youtube of the Hudson site construction, but I find it a bit odd that Bedrock doesn't have a live cam of the site like District Detroit did for this mega project. It'd be kinda nice to have a multi camera view of the site to watch what's happening.
    Agreed. Love or hate the ilitches, the webcams for their district Detroit project were nice to watch for the construction!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Agreed. Love or hate the ilitches, the webcams for their district Detroit project were nice to watch for the construction!
    I especially liked all the shots of the surrounding neighborhoods being revitalized and all of the new development.

Tough crowd. Yeah, that one went flat like a spinnaker in dead air. Appreciate your reply, sincerely!
    I got the joke. Fellow sailor here.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    I especially liked all the shots of the surrounding neighborhoods being revitalized and all of the new development.
    What do you mean?!?!?! They're revitalizing the Eddystone. They're in year 5 of the 20 year timeline for completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    This is like characterizing the job of an airline pilot as "they fly whatever routes are assigned to them". Much like a pilot, being a crane Operating Engineer [[tower, crawler, or mobile) involves nearly the same job requirements: a mix of technical skill, undivided attention, and a commitment to preserving the safety of life & property.
    Much respect to all my fellow union brethren/tradesmen, and women, and non union ones as well.
    None of that stuff is easy. Maybe sometimes but other times things can be quite the chore.

How It's Made Tower Cranes

Interesting that Bedrock re-uploaded this vid with new renderings. Maybe an official press release coming soon?

Great catch! I love what the building does to the Woodward streetwall. This will sure beat that giant gap since the Hudson implosion.

The new renderings also give off a very Art Deco-ish vibe. Looks good.

Page 84 of 143 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 134 ... LastLast