Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 137 of 143 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 3565

If you think rising costs aren't affecting construction projects think again. Toronto, which puts up a new skyscraper every other week, had this 85 story condo development go bankrupt half way through construction this week:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-canada

I see that trees are being planted on the Grand River side of The Block

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I see that trees are being planted on the Grand River side of The Block
    What kind of trees? Pics?

Planting trees tells me The Block should be opening relatively soon, no? It's looked mostly complete [[exterior at least) for the better part of a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    Planting trees tells me The Block should be opening relatively soon, no? It's looked mostly complete [[exterior at least) for the better part of a year now.
    The loading dock for the whole block and entrance to underground parking is on Gratiot across from OneCampusMartius [[ie under the tower portion being constructed). Point being, I am not sure if the underground portion will be accessible until the tower is substantially constructed externally. Could be wrong.

Anyway, if that underground portion is inaccessible… I am not sure what that means for the ability for the block portion to bring in occupancy.

Came across this video today.

It's some kind of trim-tex drywall testomonial video, but we get a really nice sneak of the interior of the block at around the 12 sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pog2mxYrZrc

Quote Originally Posted by Lapooty View Post

It's some kind of trim-tex drywall testomonial video, but we get a really nice sneak of the interior of the block at around the 12 sec mark.

Contractors are doing a great job on The Block and the Tower. They are not to be blamed for setbacks and change of designs. The Block even with or without the tower will be a great addition to the strip. I agree with someone who had texted that there's a concern about the rise in snatch and grab flash mobs that loot retail districts across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapooty View Post

I didn't think they built these huge atriums any more. Seems like they wouldn't be very energy efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I didn't think they built these huge atriums any more. Seems like they wouldn't be very energy efficient.
    Sunlight coming in through the glass ceiling help make the atrium more energy efficient
    Last edited by stasu1213; October-25-23 at 10:10 AM.

Name:  0A1E7547-2D69-4DD5-BDAC-BBB9CAD87E2F.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  169.3 KB

Trees planted on Grand River side

Sunlight coming in through the glass ceiling help make the atrium more energy efficient
    By heating it up so the a/c is on overtime? Show me the science that large atriums are energy efficient. Huge amount of wasted space but it's got nothing on the RenCen.
    Last edited by 401don; October-26-23 at 04:48 PM.

By heating it up so the a/c is on overtime? Show me the science that large atriums are energy efficient. Huge amount of wasted space but it's got nothing on the RenCen.
    This atrium will have the Winter Garden beat hands down. The top glass may have a type of film covering it to reduce the amount of rays and heat coming from the sun. The Hudson's Block atrium is on a main street and will bring in many visitors and employees alike in the area especially if the right type of restaurants, cafes, and retail fill the spots. Winter Garden faces the Detroit River which during the weekends or after 5pm is literally a ghost town in it. That's due to GM only interest in keeping the RenCen as an office complex only and just catering to its employees. It's not a tourist attraction especially not having classic GM cars around the complex as well as new cars on the lower level. The RenCen, the it's Winter Garden became an isolated and barrened island unto itself. Managers ar the RenCen better get wiser and start making the RenCen tourist friendly, put more stores in the Winter Garden, and compliment the Hudson's Block by promoting the use of the people Mover to take shoppers and visitors from the RenCen to The Hudson's Block, and all around downtown

This atrium will have the Winter Garden beat hands down. The top glass may have a type of film covering it to reduce the amount of rays and heat coming from the sun. The Hudson's Block atrium is on a main street and will bring in many visitors and employees alike in the area especially if the right type of restaurants, cafes, and retail fill the spots. Winter Garden faces the Detroit River which during the weekends or after 5pm is literally a ghost town in it. That's due to GM only interest in keeping the RenCen as an office complex only and just catering to its employees. It's not a tourist attraction especially not having classic GM cars around the complex as well as new cars on the lower level. The RenCen, the it's Winter Garden became an isolated and barrened island unto itself. Managers ar the RenCen better get wiser and start making the RenCen tourist friendly, put more stores in the Winter Garden, and compliment the Hudson's Block by promoting the use of the people Mover to take shoppers and visitors from the RenCen to The Hudson's Block, and all around downtown
    The Block atrium will only be for employees that work in the building. Beneath the offices is a convention and event space that spans the entirety of the block. It won't be a draw for anyone. All retail on the site is outward facing towards the street. They aren't really comparable at all in terms of intent.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The Block atrium will only be for employees that work in the building. Beneath the offices is a convention and event space that spans the entirety of the block. It won't be a draw for anyone. All retail on the site is outward facing towards the street. They aren't really comparable at all in terms of intent.
    At least the Block's atrium will be totally filled unlike the defunct Winter Garden which had never been completely occupied in it's 22 years of existence. You tell me which is a waste of space. Lol

Wintergarden is quite depressing, even when the complex was filled with workers it was depressing.

The RenCen is just awful for most of the retail spaces. So many of them are tucked out of the way in dark corners. They did a good job with the food court redo, but it's really empty due to a lack of customers.

The next time they want to spend a lot of money they should relocate all the shops on the outside edges of the circulation rings. It would take a major redo of the podium structure though.

Do we know anything at all yet about the tenants going in here? I can't imagine they don't have a hotel signed on yet or a few major names for the office portion, but when could we expect that announcement?

I wasn't even referring to the Wintergarden as much as all the wasted space around the central tower of the rencen. You must know by now there's no retail ever going in the Wintergarden. Taking tourists back and forth between Hudson's and the RenCen for shopping? Give me a break.

I wasn't even referring to the Wintergarden as much as all the wasted space around the central tower of the rencen. You must know by now there's no retail ever going in the Wintergarden. Taking tourists back and forth between Hudson's and the RenCen for shopping? Give me a break.
    Give them a reason to go to and from on the People Mover. That was the main purpose of it anyway was it? To go from the RenCen hotel to events and restaurants that are held at Cobo Hall, the Fox, The Music Hall, Greektown, etc. You clearly lack vision. The RenCen had a glass and marble atrium facing Jefferson where shops, bookstores, and cafes were. G.M. had remodeled the front lobby and made it more enclosed. The Winter Garden had shops and restaurants in it but they had closed due to lack to foot traffic after 5pm and many of the retail closed on weekends especially during summer months. It will take an investor such as a Dan Gilbert to bring the RenCen back to life.

Give them a reason to go to and from on the People Mover. That was the main purpose of it anyway was it? To go from the RenCen hotel to events and restaurants that are held at Cobo Hall, the Fox, The Music Hall, Greektown, etc. You clearly lack vision. The RenCen had a glass and marble atrium facing Jefferson where shops, bookstores, and cafes were. G.M. had remodeled the front lobby and made it more enclosed. The Winter Garden had shops and restaurants in it but they had closed due to lack to foot traffic after 5pm and many of the retail closed on weekends especially during summer months. It will take an investor such as a Dan Gilbert to bring the RenCen back to life.
    Yes. Retail has been a failure in the RenCen for 45 yrs. because, unlike yourself, I lack vision.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    Do we know anything at all yet about the tenants going in here? I can't imagine they don't have a hotel signed on yet or a few major names for the office portion, but when could we expect that announcement?
    The tower is going to be an Edition Hotel [[https://www.editionhotels.com/). I don't remember if it was explicitly stated, but the condos are presumably Edition Residences, since that's how these kinds of luxury hotels do things.

I don't think anything has been announced for the block.

The atrium area in the top floors of the Hudson's block building is like the atrium at the 8th, 9th and 10th floor of the Fox Building office block... very nice, but always off limits for non-office personnel. Zero public access.

Now as for the Renaissance Center. GM spent $500 million for redoing the inside of the complex... and yet they spent all that money with little results for the public. It was a maze of retail back when it opened in 1977, and it was still a maze of retail when it reopened after that huge sum to redo the inside. Maybe there wasn't much they could do with the structural impediments of the base... but they spent $500 million to find that out?

Another great video from Motor City Aerial!

Here's a still frame I captured and cropped from it:
    Name:  Hudson.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  191.3 KB

Update as of 10/31:
    Name:  IMG_2263.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  106.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Update as of 10/31:
    Name:  IMG_2263.jpg
Views: 1823