Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

On the other hand, transit maps play a big role in shaping many people's conception of their city. If you're the type to want to play with that you could get creative. Are there places, people, or aspects of Detroit's history you want to emphasize? Here's a chance if it makes sense and manages to stick. Not suggesting you should.

It amuses me how many people who travel NYC mostly by subway and know the city primarily by its transit map are surprised how far uptown really is from downtown, and how narrow the island of Manhattan gets downtown. There are similar issues in London and elsewhere. Transit maps distort geography in favor of legibility.

In NYC when the Barclays Center was built they renamed the nearby subway stops at Pacific and Atlantic to include Barclays Center in the names. In this case it was useful and I'm not suggesting any controversy, but I'm sure the decision made people at Barclays and the developers of the stadium very happy.
    Last edited by bust; February-19-17 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    On the other hand, transit maps play a big role in shaping many people's conception of their city. If you're the type to want to play with that you could get creative. Are there places, people, or aspects of Detroit's history you want to emphasize? Here's a chance if it makes sense and manages to stick. Not suggesting you should.
    Agree with everything you said about transit maps and perception. That's a big part of why I made the metro map for the area - just wanting to see what SE Michigan would look like that way.

I'm certainly not trying to rename anyone's neighborhood or part of the city. It's just that sometimes buses come together at places with obvious names [[Fairlane Town Center, St. John's Hospital, Northland, Highland Park, University District, Old Redford), but sometimes they come together at just... big intersections. So, I was hoping to get some insight into names for those places that would be fitting or have a connection to the place, but also be more memorable than just the cross street.

Using cross-streets isn't my favorite because it can get confusing when you want to label roads but also label the stops, which then have the same name. And it can end up like the Chicago El map, where there are 5 "Western" stations, 3 "Damen," etc. To me it's better to get a little creative and make each labeled stop unique [[without resorting to Faygo Heights or whatever!), if possible. But maybe it's what I'll end up having to do.
    Last edited by Junjie; February-18-17 at 10:27 PM.