Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    set down the pipe kids. for the good of others, if not yourselves.
    Why, when the smoke is soooooo gooooood, man?

Tigers at Tiger Stadium. How did the conservancy that miss idea when pitching their plan?

"Implode the Depot. Relocate the zoo from Royal Oak."

Award for most clueless post of the day? I think we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

You are a hater. Stop hating....

Lorax Guest

LOL!!!!

Only lovers here, not fighters.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    set down the pipe kids. for the good of others, if not yourselves.
    Yeah, no shit. What a terrible idea.

I'd like to see all of the strip clubs on 8 mile consolidated to one floor each of the MCS. I don't have a problem with strip clubs or anything, but they do seem to have the money to renovate an entire building like that. And Detroit does have control over liquor licenses and topless entertainment laws and could provide incentive for those places to move. And presumably the neighborhoods along 8 mile would see a reduction in crime and an increase in property values. Not to mention keeping all of the eggs in one basket [[so to speak) would make keeping an eye on crime that much easier. ie. Someone is less likely to pull a gun and shoot someone if they still have to decend 10 floors and pass a security desk than if they just have to run past a hostess.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

Yes, Novine, you won.

How about warehouse space in the lower levels, convert the top levels to greenhouses, keeping with the whole urban garden thing? Heck, turn all the surround park area into gardens as well - I'm sure Corktown residents would start up some co-op to grow their own food.

Better yet, grow hops for a micro-brewery inside the MCS. Fits Corktown's image, as well

Headquarters/Major Offices for:
    DDOT
    SMART
    MDOT
    Amtrak
    future Regional Transit Authority
    SEMCOG
    Detroit Police
    U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security [[Immigration, Border Police, etc)
    U.S. Dept. of Commerce
    U.S. Dept. of Transportation

Intermodal Transit Station with:
    Light-rail/Rapid Transit line
    Commuter rail hub
    Amtrak station
    Midwest Highspeed rail station
    Buses
    MegaBus station
    Greyhound station

+ major redevelopment of surrounding area including retail, medium/high-density residential, office, industrial and other uses.
    + make better connections between Downtown the Train Station and Mexican town. Possibly a street car connecting the neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Headquarters/Major Offices for:
    DDOT
    SMART
    MDOT
    Amtrak
    future Regional Transit Authority
    SEMCOG
    Detroit Police
    U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security [[Immigration, Border Police, etc)
    U.S. Dept. of Commerce
    U.S. Dept. of Transportation

Intermodal Transit Station with:
    Light-rail/Rapid Transit line
    Commuter rail hub
    Amtrak station
    Midwest Highspeed rail station
    Buses
    MegaBus station
    Greyhound station

+ major redevelopment of surrounding area including retail, medium/high-density residential, office, industrial and other uses.
    + make better connections between Downtown the Train Station and Mexican town. Possibly a street car connecting the neighborhoods.
    This is great, but what happens to all the current DDOT, SMART, MDOT, Det. Police, Greyhound, and Amtrak locations? Mind you, they're building a new Greyhound & Amtrak station as we speak. More abandoned buildings and wasted dollars at the expense of one big, renovated, restored MCS? It's a tough call.

For the next five-ten years I see the MCS slowly being cleaned, restored, and redeveloped. I don't see any one big thing coming in and turning it around. It will be a cumulative effort between the MCS Preservation Org, the Bridge Co, the State & Fed, and a private developer or many private developers -- forget the City, they have no money and [[ignorantly) no interest in keeping the "eyesore" Station around anyway.

The MCS itself is the first big hurdle. Then we can think about renovating the district around it, street cars, hi-rises. You're talking 20-30 years down the line.

Let me put it this way: no single thing [[Homeland Security, the Bridge Co, the stimulus package) will fix the station. It has to be a team effort and will require a lot of regional, bureaucratic, and political coordination. It seems impossible -- especially here in Detroit -- but the momentum is building....
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; September-02-09 at 08:47 PM.

Amtrak wont come back to the MCS, guaranteed. All the old platforms, sheds, and rails are long gone, torn up in 99' I believe. If the MCS has a future as a train station, it'll be for high speed rail. There is no infrastructure currently for high speed trains, so using the newly renovated MCS would probably be cheaper than building new. This is, if renovation has occurred by the time they're looking for a Detroit station.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2