Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2017/0...ket-outsiders/

The first-term mayor raised a whopping $2.8 million for his re-election bid, courting big banks, suburban developers, corporate executives, political action committees and other deep-pocket movers-and-shakers, many of whom have contracts with the city or bought Detroit-owned property in the past three years.
    By comparison, his challengers raised a mere $44,300 combined, giving Duggan a significant money advantage going into Tuesday’s primary election.
    that's 63x as much money as the combined total of all of his opponents. Pretty gross, in my opinion. What do you even do with that much money in a mayoral campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    that's 63x as much money as the combined total of all of his opponents. Pretty gross, in my opinion. What do you even do with that much money in a mayoral campaign?
    Fortunately, for Duggan... all he has to do is tell the truth.

I believe lies are at least 63x more effective than truth -- so his fundraising seems just barely adequate to defend against lies.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post

Bottom line [[w/out knowing any candidate but Duggan):

This primary is Duggan vs. Not Duggan. Literally voters will vote for or vote against him, not FOR a specific opponent.

No primary opponent has gained any traction. Banks, developers, unions, wealthy individuals, etc. don't drop big bucks on a candidate who has a near zero chance of prevailing.

I'll take a guess that Duggan gets say 70 - 75% tomorrow and the others split the remaining with the runner-up being less than say 15 - 18%.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-07-17 at 02:37 PM.

Duggan campaign $ money is nearly equal to the
    $2.6 Million from Miller/Marracco drain commissioner race.

If elected office involves a few million every campaign cycle,
    shouldn't we start asking why it costs so much ................?
    I guess $250,000 isn't real money anymore, just chump pocket coinage.

These sums are almost chump change for a big election.

Here is a quote on the special election in Georgia's 6th CD in JUNE.

"It was the most expensive U.S. House race in history. The two campaigns, along with outside organizations, spent more than $50 million on the election.[5] "

https://ballotpedia.org/Georgia%27s_6th_Congressional_District_special_ele ction,_2017

Well, today is the primary.

At this point, like most Detroiters, I've already placed my primary vote.

Polls will probably close soon by the time this is posted.

The primary results may not be all that surprising although u're welcome to post predictions for primary.

Predictions for General Election:

Duggan wins, by a high margin, maybe.

New City Clerk, and Incumbent stays in District 6.

Not sure about the at-large members of city council though.

Couple thoughts:

1). Did Duggan cakewalk to win in the primary by not spending money on radio, television advertising, etc. ? [[think I read that).

2). Duggan got nearly 70% of the vote against essentially a two-person field [[third place was write-in candidates). No other named candidate [[other than Young) got even 600 votes.

3). November should be a repeat and if Duggan campaigns hard it should be a 75 - 25% type election and won't be divisive for the city. Duggan can take the high road and coast to an easy win.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-09-17 at 06:13 AM.

I think the biggest surprise was Virgil Smith finishing second in his district while taking out the Cush, Hamtramck's mayor is going to have a fight on her hands as well. Duggan will win in November barring an indictment or something.

For political 'insiders':

Was the Young vote a vote for him, his father's legacy, etc. OR a vote against Duggan?

In voting a person may vote for a candidate they definitely prefer or against another candidate or the 'lesser of two evils.'

Curious how Young's 26% breaks down...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    For political 'insiders':

Was the Young vote a vote for him, his father's legacy, etc. OR a vote against Duggan?

I'm no "political insider" but I would say none of the above. My gut feeling, from talking with people outside the green zone, is people are tired of hearing about wonderful Downtown and Midtown. The general consensus seems to be is what about the rest of us? That and the inordinate amount of tax dollars being spent to make Downtown and Midtown. happen. Personally, if someone QUALIFIED was running against Duggan, I would vote for them. I don't believe CAYJR is that person.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-09-17 at 07:35 AM.

Here was this forum's take in CAYII about 7 yrs ago
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...84-Joel-Loving

Predictably, Duggan beats Loving 2:1. The general might be closer, but I think the result will be the same.

It occurs to me that Loving may not even be in this for a win. He may just be trying to drum up support for if/when Duggan decides to run for governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm no "political insider" but I would say none of the above. My gut feeling, from talking with people outside the green zone, is people are tired of hearing about wonderful Downtown and Midtown. The general consensus seems to be is what about the rest of us? That and the inordinate amount of tax dollars being spent to make Downtown and Midtown. happen. Personally, if someone QUALIFIED was running against Duggan, I would vote for them. I don't believe CAYJR is that person.
    I hear you, but Detroit appears to be a city not being re-built brick by brick, house by house, but on the backs of some rich men who are investing their money downtown and lower Midtown. [[In the case of LCA we assume that Mr. I. had plans either behind the Fox or the current site for what 10 - 15 years. Hard to blame that on Duggan).

From what I know the Duggan administration is trying to help the neighborhoods through housing programs, street lighting, etc. etc. but areas like downtown and Midtown, because of their unique characteristics, attract capital unlike regular residential neighborhoods.

I hear you, but Detroit appears to be a city not being re-built brick by brick, house by house, but on the backs of some rich men who are investing their money downtown and lower Midtown.

Give me a break with this nonsense, Steve. Your "rich men" get PLENTY of subsidies AND returns for their investments. To top it off, little new tax revenue is being generated from these investments, which means Joe Detroit is still footing the bill. Your post right there shows exactly why CAYJR got the votes he did.

Maybe he could legally change his name again to "NOT DUGGAN"

Give me a break with this nonsense, Steve. Your "rich men" get PLENTY of subsidies AND returns for their investments. To top it off, little new tax revenue is being generated from these investments, which means Joe Detroit is still footing the bill. Your post right there shows exactly why CAYJR got the votes he did.
    I don't doubt that they are getting subsidies. We have discussed what the Ilitch organization got for LCA. Or what Gilbert gets in his tax breaks.

The question, since you raised it, is how much tax break is Gilbert getting vis-a-vis his investment in downtown?

Do remember that when Gilbert gets into his uge projects like the Hudson's site or fail-jail site, he might put in 1B in each. So if he gets a tax break of 50M or even 100M, that is a small incentive relative to the total investment.

Someone should legally change their name to "the Dr. Rev. Martin Luther Coleman Barack Obama Young King Jr III" and they could probably get elected Emperor-for-Life of Detroit.

is people are tired of hearing about wonderful Downtown and Midtown. The general consensus seems to be is what about the rest of us? That and the inordinate amount of tax dollars being spent to make Downtown and Midtown happen.
    Unfortunately that's been the case for a very long time.

Even though I'll never even visit the area again, I think some of that development effort should go into the regional 'downtowns' of Seven Mile/Gratiot, Six/Woodward, Seven Mile/Livernois, Grand River/Greenfield, Grand River/Lahser and others I probably missed.

I don't doubt that they are getting subsidies. We have discussed what the Ilitch organization got for LCA. Or what Gilbert gets in his tax breaks.

The question, since you raised it, is how much tax break is Gilbert getting vis-a-vis his investment in downtown?

Do remember that when Gilbert gets into his uge projects like the Hudson's site or fail-jail site, he might put in 1B in each. So if he gets a tax break of 50M or even 100M, that is a small incentive relative to the total investment.
    When you put it in terms like that, boy it sure looks small. But when you pose the question: How many additional police personnel and equipment can you purchase with $50 million, or infrastructure, or City services, to improve neighborhoods and make them safer and more livable, that's a sizable chunk of change. X How many of those type of incentives and breaks were given for various developments over the years? It explains why things outside the green zone look like they do today.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I think some of that development effort should go into the regional 'downtowns' of Seven Mile/Gratiot, Six/Woodward, Seven Mile/Livernois, Grand River/Greenfield, Grand River/Lahser and others I probably missed.
    As for the Avenue of Fashion area, it is certainly taking off with new coffee shops, art galleries, and a brewery opening late 2017. Old Redford should be taking off soon as its proximity to parks and theater make it attractive. Grand/Greenfield has the most potential- the Tower Center Mall could be renovated very nicely. Palmer Park apartments could also be renovated and be attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Maybe he could legally change his name again to "NOT DUGGAN"
    "The mayor formally known as..." ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Unfortunately that's been the case for a very long time.

Even though I'll never even visit the area again, I think some of that development effort should go into the regional 'downtowns' of Seven Mile/Gratiot, Six/Woodward, Seven Mile/Livernois, Grand River/Greenfield, Grand River/Lahser and others I probably missed.
    True. The Ilitches were given big time tax breaks and subsides to keep the Wings @ JLA and the Tigers @ Comerica Park. How has the rest of the City improved and benefited from those 2 coliseums and all the "revenue" they've generated? Yet the Ilitches are billionaires.

When you put it in terms like that, boy it sure looks small. But when you pose the question: How many additional police personnel and equipment can you purchase with $50 million, or infrastructure, or City services, to improve neighborhoods and make them safer and more livable, that's a sizable chunk of change. X How many of those type of incentives and breaks were given for various developments over the years? It explains why things outside the green zone look like they do today.
    But, I can reverse the argument on you:

What profits the city to save 50M, but lose the entire downtown and lower Midtown?

50M is really just seed money in the big picture.

If nothing else how about the many thousand employees whose jobs have moved downtown from the 'burbs.

If nothing else how about the many thousand employees whose jobs have moved downtown from the 'burbs.
    And how many of them are paying taxes?

And how many of them are paying taxes?
    100%? Doesn't Detroit have both a resident and non-resident income tax?

And refresh my memory, but didn't those same downtown [[and Midtown) employers start a residential subsidy program for their employees who live within the city? Buy or rent.

I'm not sure of the specific companies, but they moved their enterprise downtown and offered their employees the residential subsidies. What more could they do?

Sounds to me like they 'went the extra mile' to be both good employers and be good for the city.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-09-17 at 01:45 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast