Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 47 of 207 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 57 97 147 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 5151

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    My costs on aluminum and steel went up 30% 4 month's ago as I was told because of the tariffs,which was actually before they were even implemented,but it does not matter because you just pass the increases down to the end consumer.

Reading the other links provided in that link you see a storm brewing over corporation taxation in Canada and the fear of companies moving to the US.

In the I am screaming over tariffs link,it refers to companies that do 90% of their business in the US,so why would you have a company that bears the costs of sending 90% of your business over the border.

Would it not be more cost effective to locate where 90% of your business is located?

So if changing the corporate tax structure in the US to be more cost effective and implementing tariffs in Canada it would be more cost effective for those companies to locate or repatriate back to the US.

Look back at 2015 - 2016

Alcoa Inc said on Thursday it will permanently close its 269,000 tonne-per-year Warrick Operations smelter in Evansville, Indiana, by the end of first quarter, the latest in a string of U.S. smelter curtailments as producers struggle with tumbling prices.

Warrick's closure demonstrates the pain the industry is feeling from the sharp drop in aluminum prices on the London Metal Exchange , which fell 18.6 percent in 2015 and are hovering near 6-1/2 year lows at $1,475 a tonne as demand wanes in top-consumer China due to slowing economic growth.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-alc...-prices-2016-1

So basically every other country in their own best interest enjoyed the liberal trade agreements and dumped steel and aluminum on our market to the point it was not feasible to continue production in this country,so our plants shut down,laid off workers and outsourced our economy and capabilities for production.

So dump cheap products on our market,eliminate our production capabilities,which in turn causes us to be controlled by a foreign nation subject to what ever price they demand because we will have no other choice.

It is the job of every countries leader in the world to look after the citizens best interests first and foremost,if people have a problem with that then it is their problem,nothing personal but if I have to pay a little bit more for something and the end result is more Americans are employed with a decent paying job that they can raise a family and better their life,then so be it.

Other presidents in the past have placed tariffs and the other countries survived,if that tariff spells the end of Canada and it will no longer exist because of them,then you really have bigger problems then a 10% tariff.

We have one of the largest markets in the world and yet everybody else wants to dictate to us on how we do business while not one of those countries would ever allow us to dictate to them on how to run their economy.
    Richard, the cost effectiveness of the aluminum smelting process is vastly due to the energy levels needed to render it efficient and worthy as Canadian Visitor's linked article points out.

To bring US smelters to tje level of Canadian production, you would need hydro-electric, or nuclear or coal plants that don't impede demand on the consumer side that would up the cost of electricity to the average joe and joanne.

Sorry but here's how Alcoa is planning to make better use of energy with partner Rio Tinto in a new joint venture.

http://news.alcoa.com/press-release/...elting-process

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Bill's brother...

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Previous Presidents would have preferred to pee their pants than make such a firm decision; except obama of course who would have been the first one to take a knee.

Who’s Jim Kennedy?
    come on coralce....he's butt hurt because he won't get his photo op with his thumb up in the air showing his pearly whites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.121963c7bb14

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...m-last-season/

Previous Presidents would have preferred to pee their pants than make such a firm decision; except obama of course who would have been the first one to take a knee.

Who’s Jim Kennedy?
    Until I read "P"ost #1153 i never realized just how many "P's" I managed to get into "Previous Presidents would have Preferred to Pee their Pants.."
    That's "P"ost #1153.
    Last edited by coracle; June-05-18 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Richard, the cost effectiveness of the aluminum smelting process is vastly due to the energy levels needed to render it efficient and worthy as Canadian Visitor's linked article points out.

To bring US smelters to tje level of Canadian production, you would need hydro-electric, or nuclear or coal plants that don't impede demand on the consumer side that would up the cost of electricity to the average joe and joanne.

Sorry but here's how Alcoa is planning to make better use of energy with partner Rio Tinto in a new joint venture.

Yes,I understand all of that,but the problem is when ever President Trump makes an announcement people fixate on that announcement as a stand alone statement without looking at the big picture.

At the same time as the tariff announcements another announcement was made about the deregulation of the coal and 4 generation nuclear which clears the path,they have all kinds of really smart people up there that figure these things out.

The problem is when it comes to power generation and the cost of in this country is that it is a political football,if say for instance President Trump lifts restrictions it may be all well and good during his 8 year presidency but if the next president comes in on a platform of green and restricting everything to death we are back to square one.

Then the utility companies or heavy energy use companies only invest for that term,maximize profit then bail or shut down plants when the restrictions kick back in,the funny thing is the ones pushing for the restrictions and regulations are the first ones to complain when their power bills shoot up.

Yes,I understand all of that,but the problem is when ever President Trump makes an announcement people fixate on that announcement as a stand alone statement without looking at the big picture.

At the same time as the tariff announcements another announcement was made about the deregulation of the coal and 4 generation nuclear which clears the path,they have all kinds of really smart people up there that figure these things out.
    A couple of things.

Is it asking to much to expect the President to make a concise “announcement” that includes the “big picture”? Or do these announcements always need to be read to us like like tarot cards from his unquestioning supporters? There is some confusion and possible raised questions due to the interpretations. Maybe he could smooth some things out.

I am not so sure I will sleep easier on the “,they have all kinds of really smart people up there that figure these things out.” Along the same lines...who are the ‘really smart people’ and where is the ‘up there’ would be a tad helpful.

You wouldn’t take that crap from a Democrat under any circumstances so it is reasonable that you must sympathize that anyone who isn’t all in with every single thing he says and does who would like a little more clarity to come directly from him on several things he is working on.

You never know. He might actually sound less like a lunatic and win some new supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    A couple of things.

Is it asking to much to expect the President to make a concise “announcement” that includes the “big picture”? Or do these announcements always need to be read to us like like tarot cards from his unquestioning supporters? There is some confusion and possible raised questions due to the interpretations. Maybe he could smooth some things out.

I am not so sure I will sleep easier on the “,they have all kinds of really smart people up there that figure these things out.” Along the same lines...who are the ‘really smart people’ and where is the ‘up there’ would be a tad helpful.

You wouldn’t take that crap from a Democrat under any circumstances so it is reasonable that you must sympathize that anyone who isn’t all in with every single thing he says and does who would like a little more clarity to come directly from him on several things he is working on.

You never know. He might actually sound less like a lunatic and win some new supporters.
    I agree and understand where you are coming from but what he is doing is no different then what any other presidents did in the past.

The presidents send out cliff notes persay,what has changed is the media and how the rest is presented,it used to be they presented it in a somewhat unbiased way.

Now with the division you have one side gathering talking heads who give their opinions based on weather they like him or not when they should really be discussing the good and bad which would allow each individual to base their opinion fully knowing both sides and the big picture.

Most people are working and do not have the time to do the research,it does not make them bad people and it never used to be like that.

So looking at the big picture aspect an example locally in Detroit you could use historic buildings as an example.

You have a building that they want to demolish,so attention is brought to that one building,it may not matter to some because it is that one building that may be located in a part that does not effect everybody,but in the big picture it is one building here and another over there and so on,so the fight is not about that one building but every building in the city and how it effects the city as a whole.

The other one is how the currant president is tearing apart families at the border,somebody illegally crosses the border,which is illegal here and in any other country they would do the same thing.

The parent is arrested and charged,you cannot put a child in detention,so the are separated,the parent shares the same responsibility because they choose to do something knowing full well of what the consequences would be if caught.

It is no different for a US citizen,if you place your child in danger there are consequences.

But what is happening there,the enforcing of laws already on the books,is no different then what every other president did in the past,but nobody said a thing,so the uproar is not about tearing families apart more so because Trump is doing it it is bad.

People have a tendency to group President Trump supporters as blind followers,that is a practice of of not looking at the core issues that need to be taken care of but being judgemental towards somebody simply because they dislike the man.

That is not looking at the bigger picture and resolving the issues and basing ones opinion solely on because they hate the guy and everybody and everything associated with him.

Is it really worth it to hate somebody that much that a single person is willing to sacrifice the well being and opportunity of millions of fellow Americans in order to prove a point.

President Trump like all other presidents are just figureheads,given the option of if you prefer a figurehead that holds babies and gives kisses in order to win your love or someone who throws the political correctness aside and gets results.

It is not the man but the agenda that is being followed,that is what counts and effects us little minions on a daily basis now and in the future.

Personally my business has increased and I have seen more minority start ups that has been a big part of my increased business then I have seen in the last 15 years,something is working and if listening to a little retroic is the price to pay for that,then I do not care if he runs naked across a football field because at the end of the day some of my fellow Americans are in a better place today then they were yesterday,that is what matters in the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    A couple of things.

I agree, but look @ it this way, if Donald spelled out exactly what was uncovered, the formed plan of action, and how it was going to be executed, all those "ANALysts" with surreal hair and tons of make-up, wouldn't be able to spend hours on TVs and radios, supposing and "what if-ing" and if this-ing then that-ing, and would end up being unemployed. By him being the way he is, he's expanded that job market. Now that's making America great again!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-08-18 at 10:17 AM.

But they understand that because they posted this in the California thread.

Winners never get caught up in the bullshit. Losers always do exactly that.

Joe Friday said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4LPkmGO5Cc

Last edited by Richard; June-08-18 at 10:32 AM.

Donald wants Russia to come back to G8 club. Don't suppose there ain't no collusion somewhere in there. Keep your cards close to your chest there Chump.

Don't suppose you have any proof of that collusion in there do ya?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Who was that young kid,looks to be in his early twenties, that President Trump was talking to at the summit?

Besides Germany is in there,which should have never been allowed to exist,trying to show the higher moral ground.

Replace Germany with Poland.

Is there a statue of limitations on atrocities,like as long as you have not committed one in the last 5 years your okay ?

Russia was a part before but they got booted because of Chimera,ooo bad Russia you invaded,now we are going to boot you,bad bad country.

Of course nobody else did a thing to help Chimera at the time,so what is the point of having fake people at a fake summit trying to dictate how to be fake to each other.

People wonder why Americans did not want to get involved in the European theater back then,70 years later the best that they can come up is jabs at our president,I wonder what their countries would be like today if we had stayed home and not made that worthless sacrifice,o wait they would not even exist anymore.
    Last edited by Richard; June-09-18 at 11:19 AM.

Don't suppose you have any proof of that collusion in there do ya?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Who was that young kid,looks to be in his early twenties, that President Trump was talking to at the summit?

Besides Germany is in there,which should have never been allowed to exist,trying to show the higher moral ground.

Replace Germany with Poland.

Is there a statue of limitations on atrocities,like as long as you have not committed one in the last 5 years your okay ?

Russia was a part before but they got booted because of Chimera,ooo bad Russia you invaded,now we are going to boot you,bad bad country.

Of course nobody else did a thing to help Chimera at the time,so what is the point of having fake people at a fake summit trying to dictate how to be fake to each other.

People wonder why Americans did not want to get involved in the European theater back then,70 years later the best that they can come up is jabs at our president,I wonder what their countries would be like today if we had stayed home and not made that worthless sacrifice,o wait they would not even exist anymore.

Another one of your chimeras, Ricky.

Keywords,cannot be to carefull around the Canucks,you never know who is watching.

Ricky is my son,who is probably older then your trudo.

Richard comes from way back when my ancestors had to flee Germany to England when a liberal dictator took over,then King Richard came in power and took all of their lands and wealth so they had to flee to Scotland and jump on a boat to the then new world.

I think the Richard aspect remains as a painful reminder of what happens when liberal dictators take over.

Keywords,cannot be to carefull around the Canucks,you never know who is watching.

Ricky is my son,who is probably older then your trudo.

Richard comes from way back when my ancestors had to flee Germany to England when a liberal dictator took over,then King Richard came in power and took all of their lands and wealth so they had to flee to Scotland and jump on a boat to the then new world.

I think the Richard aspect remains as a painful reminder of what happens when liberal dictators take over.

I Mona try and be as creative as you Richard by first givin' you a hint: "cry me a river". That should set you on the path to spelling the country you spoke of earlier in erudite terms much like your supreme leader would, almost as pertinent. I am all ears about your history lessons. I’m having a good time here. I especially like the parts where the poor old US of A has been maligned by its friends. Canuck get enough of it.

The U.S. produces cheap hydro electricity in the northwest. That is why Boeing, a major aluminum customer, is there. Idacorp retails the cheapest electricity in the U.S.. The U.S. is the 4th. largest hydroelectric producer in the world although Canada ranks higher. Some years ago, Quebec flooded large portions of tribal land to produce electricity. Doing so at least brought in Alcoa, a U.S. company to exploit the resulting cheap surplus electricity. Meanwhile, President Obama's administration was condemning some hydroelectric dams constructed by FDR to facilitate trout fishing. Democrats used to support American workers, hydroelectricity, and U.S. self interest.

National defense cannot rely on Chinese aluminum producers or even far friendlier Canadian producers. All nations have to determine their own interests. Japan and European countries, for instance, insist on producing some of their own food even if food can be imported cheaper. The U.S. is no exception.

President Trump spelled out a different direction from Obama's today in Canada at the G-7 summit. “We’re like the piggy bank that everybody’s robbing and that ends.” “I blame our leaders and I congratulate leaders of other countries for taking advantage of our leaders,” “It’s going to stop. Or we’ll stop trading with them. And that’s a very profitable answer, if we have to do it.” "“If they retaliate they’re making a tremendous mistake because you see we have a tremendous trade imbalance,”“The numbers are so much against them, we win that war 1000 times out of a 1000.”

PM Trudeau didn't quite turn Trump around.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    The U.S. produces cheap hydro electricity in the northwest. That is why Boeing, a major aluminum customer, is there. Idacorp retails the cheapest electricity in the U.S.. The U.S. is the 4th. largest hydroelectric producer in the world although Canada ranks higher. Some years ago, Quebec flooded large portions of tribal land to produce electricity. Doing so at least brought in Alcoa, a U.S. company to exploit the resulting cheap surplus electricity. Meanwhile, President Obama's administration was condemning some hydroelectric dams constructed by FDR to facilitate trout fishing. Democrats used to support American workers, hydroelectricity, and U.S. self interest.

National defense cannot rely on Chinese aluminum producers or even far friendlier Canadian producers. All nations have to determine their own interests. Japan and European countries, for instance, insist on producing some of their own food even if food can be imported cheaper. The U.S. is no exception.

President Trump spelled out a different direction from Obama's today in Canada at the G-7 summit. “We’re like the piggy bank that everybody’s robbing and that ends.” “I blame our leaders and I congratulate leaders of other countries for taking advantage of our leaders,” “It’s going to stop. Or we’ll stop trading with them. And that’s a very profitable answer, if we have to do it.” "“If they retaliate they’re making a tremendous mistake because you see we have a tremendous trade imbalance,”“The numbers are so much against them, we win that war 1000 times out of a 1000.”

PM Trudeau didn't quite turn Trump around.

Aluminum has been produced in Quebec for over a hundred years. It has been beneficial,to our economy and yours. Montreal's aerospace industry [[4th city on a global scale) among others has benefited from the source material also.
    Everything from landing gears for 747's and f18's to engines for Airbus and Boeings are built here. Bombardier global jets and Radar and telecommunications satellites are built here, Flight simulators for all kinds of aircraft are designed,and built here. You live in an intellectual fish bowl and easily swallow and digest the pet food your leader dishes out. You like to think that we're all about igloos and moose hunting, but at the end of the day, when your President invokes unfair trade, he never mentions the hugely subsidized corporations that were born out of the military industrial complex of post war years.

Just take a look at the Boeing vs Airbus documentary on Netflix to get an idea of how important it was for Boeing to try bury the competition. Boeing tried again to bury Bombardier recently, and the courts threw out their claim...

Hydro electricity is sold to most New England states and Ontario and is an excellent way for these states to eschew carbon producing power. Quebec also buys power from neighboring states and so it's a win-win in a lot of ways.

I Mona try and be as creative as you Richard by first givin' you a hint: "cry me a river". That should set you on the path to spelling the country you spoke of earlier in erudite terms much like your supreme leader would, almost as pertinent. I am all ears about your history lessons. I’m having a good time here. I especially like the parts where the poor old US of A has been maligned by its friends. Canuck get enough of it.
    meh the world is full of useless bits of information,but in the interest of fair trade,I will give you $80 for every $100 you give me,USD of course.

That sounds fair to me so when ya wanna start?

You forgot to add Canadian whiskey,maple syrup and of course the all popular Canadian mounted police in the cute red uniforms to the list of igloos,moose,which everybody knows that would be Alaska and not Canada.

Canada exports 3.8 billion a year in electric to the US,but your grid is getting old,I can see why there would be an undermining aspect to the renewal of the US grid.

Pretty soon you will be all juiced up with no where to go.
    Last edited by Richard; June-09-18 at 10:38 PM.

Stephen Colbert: Trump Disinvites The Eagles For... Never Kneeling?

What would I have to do earn the honor of being disinvited from the current White House? I'd frame that letter.
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-10-18 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Stephen Colbert: Trump Disinvites The Eagles For... Never Kneeling?

What would I have to do earn the honor of being disinvited from the White House? I'd frame that letter.

Colbert does him good. I wish I had gone to a taping of his show. I just spent last week in New York and our hotel was a coupla blocks away.

Don't you like his tantrums? Don't you find his five year old type antics endearing? I do. He has all the behavior traits of small-dick-tators.

You live in an intellectual fish bowl and easily swallow and digest the pet food your leader dishes out. You like to think that we're all about igloos and moose hunting, but at the end of the day, when your President invokes unfair trade, he never mentions the hugely subsidized corporations that were born out of the military industrial complex of post war years.
    I'm not sure that I'm in an intellectual fish bowl. Most of my family lives in Canada. My father and five of his siblings served in the Canadian military during WWII. One died serving in the Canadian 1st. Special Service Force. My leaders, if I had any, would be more along the lines of Congressional members Paul, Massie, and Amash. However, given the choice between Trump and most Democrats, I prioritize American interests over PC notions and even worse economic treason. Republicans are bad enough. Grasping at straws, stereotyping, name calling, and incorrectly fantasizing about what goes on in others' minds does not help you make points.

You did make one good point though that some U.S. advantage is because of of U.S. subsidies to its military industrial complex. That's true. There were all sorts of spin offs from better weather forecasting to improved materials and industrial products. One spinoff was that Canada and Western Europe didn't have to bare the brunt of defense spending. Trump has raised that issue too. I would like the U.S. to spend less on defense and more on education and health at the state level. To the extent that Trump can make the U.S. less of a "piggy bank" to Canada and the E.U., those countries, especially Europe, will have to decide how much they want to defend themselves or make accommodations with Russia and Islam.

The 2017 U.S. trade deficit was $588B; about $1,800/American. Bad trade deals set up by former administrations, not just Obama's, are largely responsible. The U.S. trade deficit with Canada was $18B - only 3% of total trade with Canada. However, trade deficits with Japan and Germany, both represented at G-7, were unacceptably large. Merkle, leaning over the table at G-7, had reason for concern that Trump was trying to represent American interests.
    Last edited by oladub; June-10-18 at 10:19 AM.

I wasn’t at the G7 meeting in Canada [[or was it the G1?) but I could have written the Communique from my easy chair - America no longer will be the world’s “Piggy Bank”.

What an “ugly” concept for the 6 Socialists/Globalists to contemplate. The jig is up!
    Last edited by coracle; June-10-18 at 11:33 AM.

I’ve been watching some of the wall to wall TV coverage crap of Trump’s upcoming meeting with NK. After 40 years of abject failure everybody now knows what should or shouldn’t be done.

The best thing thing we have going for us is that it isn’t being done by obama/Bush/Clinton [[or Trudeau).

I’ve been watching some of the wall to wall TV coverage crap of Trump’s upcoming meeting with NK. After 40 years of abject failure everybody now knows what should or shouldn’t be done.

The best thing thing we have going for us is that it isn’t being done by obama/Bush/Clinton [[or Trudeau).

Good luck with your NK daydreaming. That will fall as flat as a day old open Coke bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I'm not sure that I'm in an intellectual fish bowl. Most of my family lives in Canada. My father and five of his siblings served in the Canadian military during WWII. One died serving in the Canadian 1st. Special Service Force. My leaders, if I had any, would be more along the lines of Congressional members Paul, Massie, and Amash. However, given the choice between Trump and most Democrats, I prioritize American interests over PC notions and even worse economic treason. Republicans are bad enough. Grasping at straws, stereotyping, name calling, and incorrectly fantasizing about what goes on in others' minds does not help you make points.

You did make one good point though that some U.S. advantage is because of of U.S. subsidies to its military industrial complex. That's true. There were all sorts of spin offs from better weather forecasting to improved materials and industrial products. One spinoff was that Canada and Western Europe didn't have to bare the brunt of defense spending. Trump has raised that issue too. I would like the U.S. to spend less on defense and more on education and health at the state level. To the extent that Trump can make the U.S. less of a "piggy bank" to Canada and the E.U., those countries, especially Europe, will have to decide how much they want to defend themselves or make accommodations with Russia and Islam.

The 2017 U.S. trade deficit was $588B; about $1,800/American. Bad trade deals set up by former administrations, not just Obama's, are largely responsible. The U.S. trade deficit with Canada was $18B - only 3% of total trade with Canada. However, trade deficits with Japan and Germany, both represented at G-7, were unacceptably large. Merkle, leaning over the table at G-7, had reason for concern that Trump was trying to represent American interests.

Likewise, I have [[or had; some now deceased) family in all corners of the continental states: Florida, California, Massachussets and Washington state at one time. I have no animosity toward the people of your country, I do however find the election of Trump and the ensueing debacle baffling in the extreme.

I think the problem Trump is having outside his lack of bearings, is that China holds the US by the balls and he cannot seriously, unilaterally do anything about it. He can, however pressure his other allies, some of which have had a pretty good time of it from the early Marshall plan years to this day. Canada cannot be put in that club of takers that you like to qualify, because no subsidies have ever made a sizeable part of the US economy victim of our policies. On the other hand, the size and brunt of your corporate players enables them to prey on our companies and or set up shop on our soil. With 30 some odd cents on the dollar, day in day out; these corporate giants are still calling the shots in the event of takeovers.

The only industry where I would agree Canadian companies have had an undue advantage for a very long time is lumber and paper where governments have given free leases on crown lands for more than a century. The dairy industry is a minor thing and yet Trump is insisting on that point because the tariffs are dramatically good in terms of dramatic drama.

Dairy protectionism has to do with milk quotas at a regulated price which is a way for small producers to stay afloat. I recently heard a radio programme on Vermont Public Radio on that subject where Vermont farmers visited Canadian cousins who farmed on our side of the border and there was a near concensus about the bad rap Vermont farmers got from unregulated supply.

Page 47 of 207 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 57 97 147 ... LastLast