Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
[[Trump) has now put the Iraqi government in the position of kicking the US out, which will result in Iran coming in - openly - and thereby given them a larger power base. This is a president too stupid to understand the myriad consequences of his actions.
I don't understand your position. I'm all for getting the U.S. out of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria ASAP. Sunnis and Shiites have been at it for 1,300 years. There is no point in being in the middle of that. We also don't need Iraqi or Iranian oil anymore. You seem to suggest that if we did leave, it will give Iran a bigger power base and that infers we shouldn't leave. Then, in your next post, you criticize Trump for indicating he wants to stay in Iraq.

When the deadline for U.S. troops to leave Iraq was coming due, Obama also tried to negotiate having them stay longer. Iraq still wanted U.S. troops out so Obama did remove them. I hope Trump will do the same. What choice does he have? The only presidential candidate who is vocally opposing interventionism is Tulsi Gabbard although Bernie, to his credit, did once vote to not get involved in Iraq.

I doubt that Trump will get anything back for 13 years of building up Iraq. We probably won't get any incentive cash back from Iran either after Iran scrapped its end of the nuclear agreement.