Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I'm pretty sure they all have bone spurs.
    Very funny! Ha Ha. Medical deferments are part of conscription law. Taking deferments is like taking legal tax deductions. You aren't against that too are you? I'll bet that Trump even took took a exemption for each of his kids. The shame...

Speaking of conscription which you brought up, the draft is a form of involuntary servitude at least to any male who doesn't want to be drafted. The Supreme Court chose not to believe that forcing people to serve involuntarily had anything to do with the term "involuntary servitude".

When Republicans were the liberal party, Lincoln created the first draft although one could pay someone else to take his place if he had enough money. Since then, Wilson, and FDR started drafts and Jimmy Carter, whom I personally like, ordered draft registration to punish the Soviet Union for sending troops into Afghanistan. All Democrats. Harding and Nixon, both Republicans, ended the draft.

More recently, Democrats have supported the idea of expanding the draft to include women. Given the two choices of ending draft registration or expanding it to include women, Democrats tend to prefer the latter. my guess is that when their only daughter gets drafted and has to change her plans from attending Wellesley College to basic training at Fort Benning, some Democrats are going to go doctor shopping too.
    Last edited by oladub; January-10-20 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Very funny! Ha Ha. Medical deferments are part of conscription law. Taking deferments is like taking legal tax deductions.
    Sure, if the medical condition is legitimate and your dad didn't pay a doctor thousands of dollars to write a letter claiming you had a medical condition you did not in fact have just so you can avoid a draft. Oladub, do you take tax deductions that you aren't legally entitled to? Do you think the average working man at that time could afford to drop 5 or 10 grand into the lap of a doctor to give them a bogus diagnosis for draft evasion purposes?

When Republicans were the liberal party, Lincoln created the first draft although one could pay someone else to take his place if he had enough money. Since then, Wilson, and FDR started drafts and Jimmy Carter, whom I personally like, ordered draft registration to punish the Soviet Union for sending troops into Afghanistan. All Democrats. Harding and Nixon, both Republicans, ended the draft.
    Yup, Democrats LOVE the draft. That's why FDR enacted the draft, you know, because he loved the idea of drafting people against their will. It wasn't because there was a war or anything, let alone one involving the entire world... And it's interesting that although Democrats love the draft so much, it's been REPUBLICANS that have committed America to every single one of its major wars since Vietnam [[Gulf War, Afghanistan, Iraq).
    Last edited by aj3647; January-10-20 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Sure, if the medical condition is legitimate and your dad didn't pay a doctor thousands of dollars to write a letter claiming you had a medical condition you did not in fact have just so you can avoid a draft. Oladub, do you take tax deductions that you aren't legally entitled to? Do you think the average working man at that time could afford to drop 5 or 10 grand into the lap of a doctor to give them a bogus diagnosis for draft evasion purposes?
    I didn't suggest a "bogus" diagnosis. You should have seen the bus that came from Ann Arbor to the Fort Wayne draft physical and induction center as I did. Almost everyone was carrying folders presumably documentation that would be useful. Those of us who went to university knew more about medical and other deferments than small town white kids or blacks from Detroit. You didn't have to have an especially rich father bribing a doctor. Its the same as taking legitimate tax loopholes. That's why richer people hire accountants. There isn't anything illegal about it. Their is, however, a correlation between understanding and utilizing legal loopholes and wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Yup, Democrats LOVE the draft. That's why FDR enacted the draft, you know, because he loved the idea of drafting people against their will. It wasn't because there was a war or anything, let alone one involving the entire world... And it's interesting that although Democrats love the draft so much, it's been REPUBLICANS that have committed America to every single one of its major wars since Vietnam [[Gulf War, Afghanistan, Iraq).
    I didn't suggest Democrats LOVEd the draft. My point was that Democrats instituted the draft under Wilson, FDR, and draft registration under Carter and are threatening to expand conscription to include women. Republicans Harding and Nixon ended the draft. Nixon greatly increased the pay scale to accomplish a volunteer army during the Vietnam war to do so. What could be more dictatorial than forcing people to fight in unpopular wars at low pay? Vote Democratic is you want to possibly remove the option of your own children determining what to do with their own bodies. That's a reference to the pro-choice cliche.

Why did you write "since Vietnam"? Let's include the the Korean war too [[Truman-D). We lost about 60,000 Americans in Vietnam. Johnson-[[D) started that war. Nixon-[[R) ended it. Another similar number of Vietnam Vets are said to have since committed suicide. Both undeclared wars were fought using conscription. Thanks, Democrats. You also seem to forget that Democrats, including Senators Clinton, Biden, and Kerry voted for Bush's Iraq War. Congress did give an authorization to get rid of Bin Laden and the Taliban in Afghanistan. Mission accomplished. I don't know why we are still there. Clinton bombed Serbia for 83 days straight and Obama helped overthrow Khaddafi, the elected Ukraine government and attempted to overthrow Assad.

I notice that you still haven't supported a prompt removal of our troops from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq as I have - and now you you are nominally supporting conscription. I consider that a potentially lethal combination making future Hamburger Hills and more frivolous wars possible and possibly including women next time. I guess there are a number of things I don't like about aj's Amerika including the coup and a tolerance for involuntary servitude.

^^^
    Looks like someone did a quick Google search, and cut and pasted crap together without any idea where one thing ends and another begins.

Pinochet, Branco, etc. were all piece of shite fascist dictators, all backed by the US. And all probably idolized by Trump, since he adores thugs like Putin and these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    ^^^
    Looks like someone did a quick Google search, and cut and pasted crap together without any idea where one thing ends and another begins.

Pinochet, Branco, etc. were all piece of shite fascist dictators, all backed by the US. And all probably idolized by Trump, since he adores thugs like Putin and these guys.
    Welcome to Richardland

^^^

Actually I used yahoo search,you should try that new fangled search thingy before you post,you might learn something.

Clearly you got the point that all dictators are a piece of shite,so based on your knowledge why support candidates that lean that way when you clearly know the end result?

Then you post that you did not know where one posting ended and the other began but named Pinochet,Branco etc,so you must have figured it out.

Cookie for you today.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Clearly you got the point that all dictators are a piece of shite,so based on your knowledge why support candidates that lean that way when you clearly know the end result?
    You support/worship the only presidential candidate who has displayed great empathy with virtually every one of the world's most vile dictators.

You support/worship the only presidential candidate who has literally called part of our Constitution "fake."

You support/worship the only presidential candidate who has blatantly violated constitutional law - the emoluments clauses he called "fake."

You support/worship the only presidential candidate who clearly thinks laws should NOT apply to him - and has stated exactly that.

So how do the current crop of Democratic candidates emulate those dictators? Be specific, and provide verifiable evidence.

So how do the current crop of Democratic candidates emulate those dictators? Be specific, and provide verifiable evidence.
    I'm not aware of any Democratic presidential candidate who supports the 10th. Amendment but that's too easy. How could Democrats exist at the federal level if they did?

I don't want to write a book in response so I'll just mention a couple of news items from yesterday and today in response to your question.

Yesterday, Sen. Warren had a disagreement with a father who had paid for his daughter's education. She basically laughed at him. But is there for students and their families who want free stuff, many are rich, to buy their votes. Again, I don't know what part of the Constitution delegates the bulk of educational costs to the federal government. That is simply being unconstitutional but on January 14, Sen. Warren was talking like a dictator, "We have a student loan crisis—and we can't afford to wait for Congress to act. I’ve already proposed a student loan debt cancellation plan, and on day one of my presidency, I’ll use existing laws to start providing that debt cancellation immediately."

At least Hitler had the decency to request that his parliament pass the Enabling Act of 1933 which allowed the Chancellor to pass his own laws exclusive of the Reichstag. He didn't want to wait for his parliament either. Article 2 of the Enabling Act reads, "Laws enacted by the government of the Reich may deviate from the constitution as long as they do not affect the institutions of the Reichstag and the Reichsrat. The rights of the President remain unaffected."
    Instead of using the Constitution, Sen. Warren, in this case, proposes to use her 'pen and a phone'.

Today, Joe Biden threatened to fire ICE agents who arrested drunk driving illegal non-citizens and sent then home. This isn't the same as when all Democratic candidates raised their hands when asked if they would provide free medical care for illegal non-citizens. Uncle Joe, or is it now Uncle Ho, is threatening and intimidating federal employees who do their jobs. He sides with the invaders just as Quisling did.

Oladub, that is the most repulsive, preposterous, stupifying and offensive thing you've yet posted. What respect I had for you is now lost for good.

I realize you're ok with being ill-thought of; but that post really is disgusting top to bottom.

It would be even if any part of it were correct.

But your very post contains information right there in the text saying that everything else you've said is complete and utter bullshit. See below.

"We have a student loan crisis—and we can't afford to wait for Congress to act. I’ve already proposed a student loan debt cancellation plan, and on day one of my presidency, I’ll use existing laws to start providing that debt cancellation immediately."

She has made a commitment to act within the bounds of existing legislation which clearly has not been found to be unconstitutional.

Which laws she has in mind are not stated; but we can reasonably assume that their are federal powers concerning debt, financial services which would authorize some action on that basis.

Regardless, to compare any leader or prospective leader to someone whose actions lead to the deaths of 85 million people on the basis that you disagree w/their LEGAL policy idea is utterly immoral, unethical, and unforgivable. I'd strongly advise you never to repeat that in the presence of a holocaust survivor.

Last edited by Canadian Visitor; January-24-20 at 12:51 AM.