Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Rodriguez Under Fire!

Tearful Rodriguez Denies Allegations

Free Press Article Says Players Reported Violations

POSTED: Sunday, August 30, 2009
    UPDATED: 5:19 pm EDT August 31, 2009

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan has launched an investigation into allegations that its football program regularly violates NCAA rules limiting how much time players can spend on training and practice.
    Coach Rich Rodriguez spoke to the media on Monday, denying those allegations.
    During his speech, Rodriguez choked back tears. "To say that is disheartening. To say that is misleading and goes against everything I believe in in coaching."
    The investigation announcement came from Michigan athletic director Bill Martin after a Detroit Free Press article in which players from the 2008 and 2009 teams said the amount of time they spend on football during the season and in the offseason greatly exceeds NCAA limits.
    The players spoke to the newspaper on condition of anonymity because they feared repercussions from coaches.
    "We are committed to following both the letter and the intent of the NCAA rules and we take any allegations of violations seriously," Martin said in a written statement.
    "We have always complied," said Rodriguez. "We are a very transparent program."
    Martin also said that the school had reached out to both the Big Ten and the NCAA about the allegations. He said the university would have more to say after its inquiry was done.
    The university's compliance director, Judy Van Horn, also denied that the football program violated NCAA rules.
    Those regulations allow players to spend eight hours a week on mandatory workouts during the offseason.
    The players also said the amount of time they spent on football activities during the season exceeded the weekly limit of 20 hours and often exceeded the daily limit of four hours.
    They also said quality-control staff often watched seven-on-seven offseason scrimmages that are supposed to be voluntary and that only training staff are allowed to attend.
    "I love working with our staff. I love working with our players. I love them like my family," said Rodriguez.
    Michigan was 3-9 last season -- Rodriguez's first year as head coach of the Wolverines -- and did not make it to the postseason, ending a 33-year streak.
    Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The views expressed are not those of ClickOnDetroit.com, WDIV or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum. [[Please note the 'Like' and 'Report' tabs.) By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms of Use.

No wonder the University of Michigan football team pooped out last season and they NEVER recieved a decent bowl game.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

It's time to bring Lloyd Carr to come out of retirement.
    Last edited by Danny; August-31-09 at 04:39 PM.