Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    The Opera House helps lure people into the city. Right now more affluent individuals do not want to live in the city, because they do not feel that the city has something for them. However, these individuals do very much enjoy going to the Opera House or the Symphony [[another struggling organization at the moment). When these people come downtown, they typically not only see the show, but also get dinner [[which is also good for the restaurants in the area).
    I'm sort of ambivalent about this reason, though. I mean, for years and years, I've been hearing that we've got to get suburbanites downtown, and so we've used a tremendous amount of our tax monies to build new stadia, build entertainment complexes -- some successful [[Max), some struggling [[DSO, MOT), some doomed [[Ford Auditorium) -- and to give low-cost loans to luxury restauranteurs. And, frankly, in a city with some of the most rotten neighborhoods in the country, it's always been something of an insult that the city's limited resources get so often plugged into downtown. All so that we can "lure" suburbanites down there, and create a fantasyland for them, where they can drive in, park, dine, go to a show, and then get the hell out of dodge.

These are also the types of people who are going to be most interested in moving into the loft apartments in the downtown area. The downtown area will appeal to them due to it's relative safety, and also the fact that it could potentially be close to their work, but most primarily that it has amenities that they enjoy.
    Now I know this is an accepted strategy: Build entertainment downtown. Guys from think tanks will tell you to do that. But I have my doubts. Maybe it's the incredible divide we have here. Maybe it's the way we do it. But I can't help it. As much as I like classical or opera, I often see these things as colonial outposts of the ancien regime, as cultural millstones we are obligated to support despite much more pressing needs. Is it unreasonable to harbor these doubts?

As for the idea that cultural groups like the Opera House don't fill a vital role in the community, while their role may not be as pronounced in a direct way such as the United Way, these groups provide for significant opportunities for the community. The Opera House also coordinates a significant amount of education outreach programs. They go into the schools, as well as have programs for children and adults hosted at the Opera House.
    Not to discount any noble motives among the people involved, or to say that young people don't benefit, but: Isn't this just so much PR frosting? Whenever people tell me to think of the children, my BS detector redlines.

When Detroit Opera House premiered Margaret Garner a few years ago, the national press was here in Detroit. For once the New York Times wasn't writing an article taking place in Detroit to lament the degradation, or demise, but rather it was here talking about a new work of art, that happened to be premiered in Detroit.
    But, by the same token, most of the stuff that develops organically, from the ground up, gives the national press many reasons to speak well of Detroit. Rock, rap, urban farmers and all other sorts of people regularly attract good press for Detroit. And it's not just stuff that happens to premiere here, it's stuff that's integral to the city, our experiences here, not something imposed from above.

Detroit Opera House also provided for one of the most wonderful stories about preservation/restoration in Detroit during the 90s. They saved one of our dilapidated theaters, and turned it into a working performance hall space.
    All these doubts I still have, but I am glad they are a solid tenant downtown, and I love the interior of the place. [[The exterior, um ...) This may be their best contribution, giving new purpose to a grand old moviehouse. So, on the basis of that reason alone, I think it's worth it to make a donation to keep the opera there. [[And maybe one for the symphony while we're at it.)

See? It wasn't so hard to listen to somebody's doubts, was it? Sort of like "engaging the community."

It's difficult to become interested in something if it's not there. Therefore, I plan on giving what support I can. I'm glad this thread was posted. It was the reminder I needed to purchase tickets to Phantom of the Opera.

Gistok, you appear to have a good relationship with the nice people over at the Opera House. I don't know if they're listed as a resource for the various movie productions that are coming to Michigan. If not, they should do so. A place like the Opera house that is centrally located is a location manager's best friend.

Additionally, they possess a level of expertise amongst the people working there that is very unique in the area. There is plenty of grant money available for artists and crew production training. They should take advantage of it. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Gistok, sometime when you have a spare minute or two, google "hoi polloi." You might be surprised at what you find.
    Will do Bear... my entire knowledge of that phrase is based on the title of a 3 Stooges short... which is a few notches below Wikipedia in accuracy...

Detroitnerd.... check out the Michigan Opera Theatre official website for more information on what they do besides opera.

Kraig, thanks for ideas on the movie location/training. I'll mention that to them.

When I was talking to those folks during the Preservation Wayne movie palace tours, I mentioned that the Detroit Theatre Organ Society [[DTOS) folks over at the Senate Theatre on Michigan Ave. were looking for a new venue for the one of a kind [[old) Fisher Theatre 4/34 Wurlitzer organ. Those folks are looking for a new venue to host their organ concerts, mainly because a lot of potential patrons are intimidated by the location of the Senate, and it affects attendance figures. They are looking in the suburbs as well for a new location for their organ and concerts. I would like to keep that organ in the city.

The Detroit Opera House once had a Public 1 Wurlitzer Organ, but that was sold off probably in the 40s or 50s [[much of it today is in the Oakland [[CA) Paramount today). The Fisher's unique mammoth Wurlitzer was the 8th largest ever built... likely the other 7 larger instruments were the 4 massive 4/36 organs for the Fox chain [[including Detroit Fox)... the New York Paramount 4/36 [[that the Fox organs were copied from) and likely the 2 in Radio City Music Hall. The Fisher organ was custom made for the Fisher brothers [[it had some instrumentals that were similar to church organs). 56packman is the theatre organ expert, and could provide details on that organ. But what really fascinated me was the rich and colorful Mayan details on the organ console.

The Detroit Opera House has the largest organ grilles [[on either side of the stage) of any theatre in Detroit. Moving the Fisher Organ to the DOH would be a match made in heaven... one of the worlds finest Wurlitzers moved to one of the worlds finest performing venues. But right now that is just a pipe dream [[no pun intendend ) of mine. But I would like to get the DOH folks interested, although in these trying times, any DOH installation would have to involve a lot of volunteer work from the Detroit Theatre Organ Society.

The Fisher Wurlitzer....
    http://www.dtos.org/OurOrgan.html

P.S. I am not involved in any way with either MOT/DOH or DTOS.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-19-09 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm sort of ambivalent about this reason, though. I mean, for years and years, I've been hearing that we've got to get suburbanites downtown, and so we've used a tremendous amount of our tax monies to build new stadia, build entertainment complexes -- some successful [[Max), some struggling [[DSO, MOT), some doomed [[Ford Auditorium) -- and to give low-cost loans to luxury restauranteurs. And, frankly, in a city with some of the most rotten neighborhoods in the country, it's always been something of an insult that the city's limited resources get so often plugged into downtown. All so that we can "lure" suburbanites down there, and create a fantasyland for them, where they can drive in, park, dine, go to a show, and then get the hell out of dodge.

I think the idea is, if you continue to build up entertainment, luxury amenities, it will lure people to not just stay for the night, but also start living downtown. As a matter of fact, I remember a few times when going to the Opera House, advertisers clearly thought this strategy might work. Apartment complexes that were being built downtown were advertising on the back cover and throughout the programme.

Now I know this is an accepted strategy: Build entertainment downtown. Guys from think tanks will tell you to do that. But I have my doubts. Maybe it's the incredible divide we have here. Maybe it's the way we do it. But I can't help it. As much as I like classical or opera, I often see these things as colonial outposts of the ancien regime, as cultural millstones we are obligated to support despite much more pressing needs. Is it unreasonable to harbor these doubts?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that entertainment should not be built downtown? Or are you saying that we should not support classical music because a gift to the Michigan Opera Theatre is a gift not to the Homeless Shelter? Sounds unreasonable, as there are a lot of people who might choose to donate to both, and still others who would never donate to one or the other. I'm also curious as to why tax dollars should go towards sports teams which raise millions of dollars for their owners, but why tax incentives should not go towards art groups.

Not to discount any noble motives among the people involved, or to say that young people don't benefit, but: Isn't this just so much PR frosting? Whenever people tell me to think of the children, my BS detector redlines.

Yes, it's not just about children, it's about the community as a whole who can benefit from these programs. Some of these members in the community happen to be children.
    That's just my opinion though.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    But, by the same token, most of the stuff that develops organically, from the ground up, gives the national press many reasons to speak well of Detroit. Rock, rap, urban farmers and all other sorts of people regularly attract good press for Detroit. And it's not just stuff that happens to premiere here, it's stuff that's integral to the city, our experiences here, not something imposed from above.
    I don't feel that the opera is being "imposed" on Detroit. It's one cultural amenity out of many, and like most cultural amenities, it needs all the money it can get. The taxpayer dollars being given out are based on the level of community support [[they are matching people's donations), so it's not as though CFSEM is propping up some stuffy, outdated institution that nobody actually likes. Granted, much of the Opera House's programming is not uniquely reflective of the Detroit experience, but that can be said of nearly all cultural institutions in this or any other city. I happen to like art that captures the essence of Detroit, but I don't think other types of art are necessarily less valuable or less worthy of support. I don't think MOCAD should be shut down because they often feature out-of-town artists, or the DFT because they show foreign films. There is enough room here for more than one type of culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I don't feel that the opera is being "imposed" on Detroit. It's one cultural amenity out of many, and like most cultural amenities, it needs all the money it can get. The taxpayer dollars being given out are based on the level of community support [[they are matching people's donations), so it's not as though CFSEM is propping up some stuffy, outdated institution that nobody actually likes. Granted, much of the Opera House's programming is not uniquely reflective of the Detroit experience, but that can be said of nearly all cultural institutions in this or any other city. I happen to like art that captures the essence of Detroit, but I don't think other types of art are necessarily less valuable or less worthy of support. I don't think MOCAD should be shut down because they often feature out-of-town artists, or the DFT because they show foreign films. There is enough room here for more than one type of culture.
    Oh, sure. I agree. I'm just saying that, when it comes to national, positive press for things in Detroit, we don't have to rely exclusively on the opera for that. In fact, we're often better off recognizing the role the small, bottom-up groups play in garnering favorable attention.

Then again, I reserve the right to complain when I feel an institution is stuffy, outdated and that too few people actually like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2