NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

WWJED?

[[What Would John Edwards Do?)

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    WWJED?

[[What Would John Edwards Do?)
    WWJED ----what would John Ensign Do?

Quote: "And saying the inconsistencies are just proof that it's true is like a lawyer saying, "The witness contradicted his story several times, thereby proving that he must be telling the truth!""

Worst analogy I've ever read? Perhaps.

Quote: "figuring out which version is true"

You're taking things out of context and trying to put one tiny piece under a microscope. You're wondering why God does the things he does, why he allows a child to die. We're all going to die. Why does he allow that? Science understands the aging process, last account I had there is only theory as to why. Do you know why? Of course you don't. Following that, where do you get the idea, that you are supposed to understand everything? I know this is way over your head, but shoot.

There are different ways to deal with an affair..I would demand the right to get even and take the offfender to a swingers club or find a procreating partner.

The bible does not belong in human biology. The law trumps the bible which is open to intrepretation [[the religious often ignore verses they find displeasing, and turn to the bible when it is convenient) also some would argue that fidelity is not in our nature. Im a grudge holder so I probably would never completely forgive an offending partner, preferring openess and honesty.I have known personally couples that have raised their children and seek out other couples to same room sex or swapping. Perhaps they live in the real world? and are more accepting of human nature and biology? At this point I probably wouldnt want to give the offenders ego the satisfaction of my hurt and dissapointment, pretending that I didnt care or would get over it.

just some random thoughts on the subject...

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "And saying the inconsistencies are just proof that it's true is like a lawyer saying, "The witness contradicted his story several times, thereby proving that he must be telling the truth!""

Worst analogy I've ever read? Perhaps.
    How so? "Testament" is functionally identical to "testimony", so to say that the Bible is true because it is inconsistent is pure nonsense.
    You're taking things out of context and trying to put one tiny piece under a microscope. You're wondering why God does the things he does, why he allows a child to die. We're all going to die. Why does he allow that? Science understands the aging process, last account I had there is only theory as to why. Do you know why? Of course you don't. Following that, where do you get the idea, that you are supposed to understand everything? I know this is way over your head, but shoot.
    You are jumping to conclusions, answering questions I didn't ask while avoiding the one I did ask.

I am not wondering about any of those things.

I'm only wondering about one specific thing: Why, if the Bible is supposed to be our guide for living, is it so murky, unclear, and irrational?

Seems He could have done a better job of it without really trying.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    And could someone please explain how there wasn't rampant incest in our collective family tree if we all descended from Adam and Eve?
    The answer is simple. There was rampant incest. It is told that Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters, so Cain's and Seth's wives must have been their sisters.

Then there's Abraham marrying his half-sister, and sending his servant back to Haran to fetch a wife for Isaac from his own family [[Rebekkah was Abraham's great-niece, making her Isaac's first cousin once removed, I think.).

And finally there's Jacob, who marries two of his first cousins, the daughters of his mother's brother.

Evidently God didn't have a problem with any of it, since He made of Jacob "a great nation".

Makes you wonder why it was prohibited later on. "The family that plays together stays together."

Quote: "Why, if the Bible is supposed to be our guide for living, is it so murky, unclear, and irrational?"

It's only "murky, unclear, and irrational" to you Your problem is you're too smart to read the Bible. Isn't that right?

We all have our "nutshell" of understanding, we eventually, if we live long enough realize, not everything fits in to it. Some day when you're past the age of 20, you'll realize that too [[maybe). It takes a wise man to say "I don't know" It takes an understanding man to realize, the earth heavens and universe are much larger than we mere humans.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; August-20-09 at 05:07 PM.

It takes a wise man to say "I don't know" It takes an understanding man to realize, the earth heavens and universe are much larger than we mere humans.
    No one is denying that space is infinite and that our knowledge of it is infinitesimally small. What is being denied is that it was all created in 7 days by an omnipotent sky father with serious self-esteem issues.

We all have our "nutshell" of understanding, we eventually, if we live long enough realize, not everything fits in to it.
    Perhaps, since we all have our nutshell and limited understanding of the bible, we should not be legislating civil laws with it?
    Last edited by bailey; August-20-09 at 03:04 PM.

Quote: "No one is denying that space is infinite and that our knowledge of it is infinitesimally small."

Then what are you arguing about? And who are you to make claims about anything you could possibly not know?

Quote: "limited understanding of the bible, we should not be legislating civil laws with it?"

Nothing is new. Been tried, Sodom and Gomorrah. Ever read that story? It's going to happen again. Incidentally, there is archeological proof of this event.

I can see why your answer was "No."

Yeah, no kidding

ccbatson Guest

The bible...rather all organized religion must be taken as symbolic to have any understanding. Books [[like the bible, koran, take your pick) are written by man and when it comes to impossible/irrational/mystical elements of the stories therein told, the only rational possibility is that these mystical elements are added for symbolic effect [[or the author is/are raving mad). Even if the authors were insane, the readers are not 9well, not all of them anyway).

So, religion is faith in symbolism and mythology put forward by very advanced [[for their time) social thinkers. The lessons imparted are applicable to varying degrees and in varying circumstances and must be seen as such to be of any real value. For instance, avoiding eating pork was very smart 5000 years ago, today? not so much. Does it make sense to follow the lesson literally today? No.

Take the applicable lessons and apply them to rational modern thought, and you have a sensible view of religion.

I'm sure there was a natural disaster, but I doubt that it occurred because a bunch of people wanted to have sex with angels.

Quote: "No one is denying that space is infinite and that our knowledge of it is infinitesimally small."

Then what are you arguing about? And who are you to make claims about anything you could possibly not know?

Quote: "limited understanding of the bible, we should not be legislating civil laws with it?"

Nothing is new. Been tried, Sodom and Gomorrah. Ever read that story? It's going to happen again. Incidentally, there is archeological proof of this event.

Quote: "I'm sure there was a natural disaster,"

You're sure of that? And just what do you base this absolute on?

Quote: "Why, if the Bible is supposed to be our guide for living, is it so murky, unclear, and irrational?"

It's only "murky, unclear, and irrational" to you Your problem is you're too smart to read the Bible. Isn't that right?

We all have our "nutshell" of understanding, we eventually, if we live long enough realize, not everything fits in to it. Some day when you're past the age of 20, you'll realize that too [[maybe). It takes a wise man to say "I don't know" It takes an understanding man to realize, the earth heavens and universe are much larger than we mere humans.
    Once again you answer a question I did not ask.

I am not concerned with the Bible's moral teachings, nor with the miracles, nor with the character of the persons or their actions. Those are subjects for different discussions altogether.

I am asking why are there so many internal inconsistencies and sometimes flat-out contradictions if the book was authored or "inspired" by God in order to give us clear direction in what He wants us to do?

As for my age, let's just say I grew up when families had one car, one telephone per household, and radio was the entertainment medium of choice. And I've read the Bible cover-to-cover more times than you have teeth.

Quote: "I am asking why are there so many internal inconsistencies and sometimes flat-out contradictions"

It's written by men and men are not perfect.

The core message is solid. Many things in the Bible are analogies and parables, they are not meant to be taken verbatim, they are put in for symbolism. Not a very good approach apparently, some people have a very shallow capacity of reasoning.

It's written by men and men are not perfect.
    So your view is that the Bible wasn't inspired by God directly? That these men didn't act as God's "ghost writers"?

Quote: "Bible wasn't inspired by God directly?"

Considering the modern day version of the Bible has been edited, often selfishly, many times over the years, I believe it was inspired by God, it was written by men and corrupted through the ages. And too many things were lost or changed meaning in the many interpretations from one language to another. That's is why I say the core message is strong.

So for clarification: You believe the Bible was "inspired" by God rather in the way a mountain scene would "inspire" a poet, but that He didn't take a direct hand in it, i.e., tell them what to write?

Quote: "rather in the way a mountain scene would "inspire" a poet"

No

I think he told them what to write.

Why did this become a debate about the bible rather than Marriage surviving an affair?????

So if He told them what to write, why would He allow later editors or revisionists or translators to muddle up His message?

Or do you think He only talked to the original writers and hasn't involved Himself since?

Quote: "Why did this become a debate about the bible"

Sorry, not my doing.

Quote: "why would He allow later editors or revisionists or translators to muddle up His message?"

His message isn't muddled for me. Faith is not shaped by the Bible alone.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Why did this become a debate about the bible rather than Marriage surviving an affair?????
    Thread drift. Deal.

Quote: "why would He allow later editors or revisionists or translators to muddle up His message?"

His message isn't muddled for me. Faith is not shaped by the Bible alone.
    Let me re-phrase. Why would He allow later editors or revisionists or translators to introduce errors [[contradictions, inconsistencies) in His book?

And we're not talking about your faith. We're talking about how you see the Bible and its origins.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast