Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I wonder if the foundations of the previous buildings on the Monroe block still exist?
    In response to that, they have to dig even deeper holes to get the foundations down to bedrock, as with all downtown buildings. Also, IIRC, the Monroe blocks were also planned to have underground parking. So if both blocks have underground parking, then it would likely go under the street, requiring its' removal, and replacement by a pedestrian zone. And of course the National Theatre arch and towers were going to be moved to become the arched framework for the Monroe Ave. entrance of that pedestrian street zone.

If indeed this is still the plan.

Video of the crane parts in question:

I saw a recent FAA filing for a crane at the Book Tower; maybe it's for that location?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Video of the crane parts in question:

I saw a recent FAA filing for a crane at the Book Tower; maybe it's for that location?
    Interesting, I didn't realize they were going to need a crane for the Book building. I guess that means completion is still a while out?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Interesting, I didn't realize they were going to need a crane for the Book building. I guess that means completion is still a while out?
    The garage they are building on the southernmost part of the site is going to be about as tall as the Book Building if I recall correctly. My guess is the crane would be for that part of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The garage they are building on the southernmost part of the site is going to be about as tall as the Book Building if I recall correctly. My guess is the crane would be for that part of the project.
    Ahh yeah you're probably right. Anyway, I doubt anything is being put in the Monroe Block right now that is actually for that project, they still haven't done really any site prep.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Ryan, do you know if that garage going to be one of those automated ones [[like the Free Press Building), or a "ramp" variety? That site seems kind of small for a ramp variety parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ryan, do you know if that garage going to be one of those automated ones [[like the Free Press Building), or a "ramp" variety? That site seems kind of small for a ramp variety parking garage.
    Im not sure if it will be automated like the Free Press Building but I believe the plan is for an elevator vs. having a traditional ramp.

Yeah; their website originally said 2020, then I saw 2022 or 2023. I was looking at houses recently, and my agent said she is friends with the wife of one of the general contractors on the project. According to her/him, there have been [[and continue to be) significant delays with building materials and equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if this bumps back to 2024, quite honestly

Bedrock said a long time ago that the Monroe Blocks site was going to be used as staging for other major downtown projects until further notice. Those have to be for the Book Tower. There's no reason for them to build a crane at the Monroe Blocks site right now, especially since they haven't begun excavating the site yet and likely won't without an announcement being made on the redesign we heard about awhile back.

The crane is being assembled near the Book Tower. Looks like a red tower crane.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    The crane is being assembled near the Book Tower. Looks like a red tower crane.
    I can try to get a picture later but is it on the tower side or the building side?

I can try to get a picture later but is it on the tower side or the building side?
    It's on Washington, more towards the building side.

Has there been any renderings released of the garage? It’s going to incorporate the two story building currently on the site, correct?

Update? 35-stories, right?

Last edited by motorcity; December-19-20 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcity View Post
    Update? 35-stories, right?

Why are you even here?

If you look at her 58 post thread history since this newbie has been here...

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/search...id=3037841&pp=

She's our new mascot... Debbie Downer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1AjaNjack
    Last edited by Gistok; December-20-20 at 03:03 AM.

The Hudson block development is the real deal. However, Bedrock's news releases about the Monroe Block amount to little more than smoke and mirrors. Their latest announcement for the Monroe Block can be found here:

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/arti..._blocks_parcel

At this point, Bedrock's credibility as far as the Monroe Block development is almost nil. Passage of the Gilbert Bill, years of promises of construction and the best that Bedrock can offer is a temporary drive in theater and a no touch playground.

It is my understanding that that one of the conditions for tax incentives is the completion of construction in 2023. Perhaps I'm in error, but there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency on the part of Bedrock to meet the deadline for the the Monroe Block development. The drive-in is no more than a ludicrous stall tactic

Update Via the Detroit News today, the drive-in is a go!
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...et/6630347002/

Can you really blame Bedrock for putting this on hold while the future of dense commercial office space is in question? I for one don't buy into the "new normal" being work from home for one second, but then again if I was about to invest millions of dollars into new office buildings I would be cautions too.

This programing is still going to bring people to the city, generate dollars, and activate a space that has been nothing but a surface lot for decades. Even if you decry the development delay you must agree that this space is in the best hands possible right now.

Horrible! a delayed Campus Martius Building transformed into a snotty drive-in movie theatre! What is Gilbert thinking! He's losing millions.
    Last edited by Danny; January-12-21 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Update Via the Detroit News today, the drive-in is a go!
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...et/6630347002/

Can you really blame Bedrock for putting this on hold while the future of dense commercial office space is in question? I for one don't buy into the "new normal" being work from home for one second, but then again if I was about to invest millions of dollars into new office buildings I would be cautions too.

This programing is still going to bring people to the city, generate dollars, and activate a space that has been nothing but a surface lot for decades. Even if you decry the development delay you must agree that this space is in the best hands possible right now.

Going to disagree. This is not a good sign. First you have the Emagine guy saying “this [[drive-in) is going to be profitable”. That means it is likely going to be operating for a while. Even a concept as simple as this has some amount of fixed costs, that are basically paid off over time from the revenue received... with the emphasis on “over time”. The sooner construction starts, the sooner they can’t make drive-in revenue. And while I typically want any downtown business to do well financially, hearing this drive-in will be profitable is actually somewhat depressing to me, because it means construction is not coming soon.

More importantly, just build the thing. The office tower overlooks Campus Martius. It would be prime as prime can be in Detroit, with that location’s visibility. If this new tower can’t profitably sell office space, than all of Downtown is in trouble. I don’t believe that to be the case. Sure WFH may deflate the demand... but a new office tower overlooking Campus Martius should be office space for visibility reasons alone. Holistically, much better to build this as office space, and later convert another lower-visibility existing office space [[in another building somewhere else) to residential use should demand patterns significantly change. And all that will take a few years for things to shake out anyway. But start construction now, and in a few years when construction is completed, the structure would be well timed to meet the post-pandemic economy. Build now, bring construction workers from elsewhere back to Michigan [[and lower long term construction labor costs by increasing worker supply) while everywhere else “waits and sees”, and enjoy the benefits of starting now and not later.
    Last edited by Atticus; January-12-21 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Going to disagree. This is not a good sign. First you have the Emagine guy saying “this [[drive-in) is going to be profitable”. That means it is likely going to be operating for a while. Even a concept as simple as this has some amount of fixed costs, that are basically paid off over time from the revenue received... with the emphasis on “over time”. The sooner construction starts, the sooner they can’t make drive-in revenue. And while I typically want any downtown business to do well financially, hearing this drive-in will be profitable is actually somewhat depressing to me, because it means construction is not coming soon.

More importantly, just build the thing. The office tower overlooks Campus Martius. It would be prime as prime can be in Detroit, with that locations visibility. If this new tower can’t profitably sell office space, than all of Downtown is in trouble. I don’t believe that to be the case. Sure WFH may deflate the demand... but a new office tower overlooking Campus Martius would be prime as prime can be. And it will take a few years for things to shake out anyway. Start construction now, and a few years when construction is completed, the structure would be well timed to meet future market demand.
    “Just build the thing” you say that as if it’s some legos you bought your grandkids and not a SKYSCRAPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    “Just build the thing” you say that as if it’s some legos you bought your grandkids and not a SKYSCRAPER.
    My thought exactly... Anyone in this position would have a "wait and see" attitude at this point. Gilberts own employees still aren't back downtown so he has entire buildings sitting vacant and no way to fill them.

Anyone who is just coming to realize this project is on hold was ignoring the writing on the wall for the last 9 months. HOWEVER, the fact that Bedrock is willing to put this drive in together for the time being shows their level of investment in the city and desire to bring people downtown as much as possible. It would be very easy to just ignore the site and let it sit vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    My thought exactly... Anyone in this position would have a "wait and see" attitude at this point. Gilberts own employees still aren't back downtown so he has entire buildings sitting vacant and no way to fill them.

Anyone who is just coming to realize this project is on hold was ignoring the writing on the wall for the last 9 months. HOWEVER, the fact that Bedrock is willing to put this drive in together for the time being shows their level of investment in the city and desire to bring people downtown as much as possible. It would be very easy to just ignore the site and let it sit vacant.
    Anyone with common sense would understand the holding pattern on developing this parcel in the current crisis we are experiencing in this country. The drive-in idea is certainly open to debate if it is a good temporary use of the block but criticism of why construction is not underway this year or last year defies basic business logic.

What is it about Detroit that causes some posters to go through the mental gymnastics to pile on the city at any opportunity they can find in every single post they make? Anyone who has lived here long enough knows the answer exactly. We have heard it repeatedly for years. The code words change from time to time but the reason for the ‘why’ they hate on Detroit so much does not.

It's high time to claw back the over $618 million in public incentives.

Thirty years ago as I looked down on the vacant, boarded historic Monroe Block from my 22nd floor office in the First National Building, I said that it was a terrible mistake to not restore the Block. Including, of course, the National Theater. If only I could have waived a magic wand...

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast