Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    This user is World’s Greatest, just with a different handle [[username), judging by how they talk and the constant anger and aggression
    What in gods name are you talking about?

I don't have aggression. If this site is going to be pointlessly rude to me I'll just log off. Wont take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um.... no.... no one here is crazy... I've been posting here for almost longer than anyone. People just find articles, and repost them here on DYES, often without prejudice. And then we discuss them with a wide range of opinions as to what the articles actually mean. That's the way it's always been done here. You, in your 4 months here, need to not shoot the messenger.
    Thank you, Gistok! As someone who has also been here a long time [[since 2003), it is nice to have the backing in order to simply file an opinion [[and actually in this case a questioning of a possible theory). We are all a bit heated these days I suppose.

As always though, Skipper's Rule. On this, and every project.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    What in gods name are you talking about?

I don't have aggression. If this site is going to be pointlessly rude to me I'll just log off. Wont take it.
    Check yourself. Extremely edgy to people on here and like to argue. Just calm down. When you're coming at long-time forumers with an attitude that they have reading comprehension issues you'll get "cancelled." That's why Gistok replied like he did. I've been a lurker on here for years but only in the last two have I started posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    The project hasn't been abandoned... they just got variances for the height and loading docks. WTF

The architect has had renders up since the very beginning, these aren't new. Yall are crazy, jesus.
    You gotta chill. People are just stating opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    People are just stating opinions.
    Some opinions definitely carry less weight then others.

Example: Olympia Entertainment and the Illitch family have had a greater positive effect on Detroit then Dan Gilbert.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Some opinions definitely carry less weight then others.

Example: Olympia Entertainment and the Illitch family have had a greater positive effect on Detroit then Dan Gilbert.

EMU_Steve is no longer with us...

It's 2020 And I do see any construction going on.

Today they repaved part of Farmer street inside of the project area. Probably not a good sign for this one starting soon.

Phase one of this project [[the office tower and apartments) doesn't really require anything being done with Farmer street so I doubt it's much of an indication. And I assume they need that street operational for construction.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I believe this block in the picture was up until the 1980s. Such a shame to lose it...

I'm also reading about it my Newspapers.com account. I wasn't alive back then, so I don't know much about it though I should. I'm beginning to think it's probably a tie for the greatest loss of a building or set of buildings lost in Detroit. Old City Hall is the other. Most of these buildings dated back before the Civil War. They all gave Monroe a good streetwall, though they were small, and potential today would be massive.
    https://digitalcollections.detroitpu...ndora%3A159252
    I worked in the First National in the early/mid 80’s when the Monroe Block was largely intact, albeit run down and quite vacant. To this day I think the best thing would have been to restore and reuse those historic buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I worked in the First National in the early/mid 80’s when the Monroe Block was largely intact, albeit run down and quite vacant. To this day I think the best thing would have been to restore and reuse those historic buildings.
    Funny, it was run down but didn't look a whole lot different than that 1910 photo, except for being abandoned of course. While it was tragic to lose, at least it was one block of many that remain downtown. There are a lot of towns across North America that have lost similar blocks, which represented most of their historic downtowns.

I see 4 red semi trucks with what looks like red crane parts, I assume that from another project, but gives some excitement

Cool! Thanks for the update 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    I see 4 red semi trucks with what looks like red crane parts, I assume that from another project, but gives some excitement
    Let's hope they finally gonna start on it soon. Still hype that the cranes are up at TCF and Hudson sites!!

I wonder if the foundations of the previous buildings on the Monroe block still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I wonder if the foundations of the previous buildings on the Monroe block still exist?
    In response to that, they have to dig even deeper holes to get the foundations down to bedrock, as with all downtown buildings. Also, IIRC, the Monroe blocks were also planned to have underground parking. So if both blocks have underground parking, then it would likely go under the street, requiring its' removal, and replacement by a pedestrian zone. And of course the National Theatre arch and towers were going to be moved to become the arched framework for the Monroe Ave. entrance of that pedestrian street zone.

If indeed this is still the plan.

Video of the crane parts in question:

I saw a recent FAA filing for a crane at the Book Tower; maybe it's for that location?

Bedrock said a long time ago that the Monroe Blocks site was going to be used as staging for other major downtown projects until further notice. Those have to be for the Book Tower. There's no reason for them to build a crane at the Monroe Blocks site right now, especially since they haven't begun excavating the site yet and likely won't without an announcement being made on the redesign we heard about awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Video of the crane parts in question:

I saw a recent FAA filing for a crane at the Book Tower; maybe it's for that location?
    Interesting, I didn't realize they were going to need a crane for the Book building. I guess that means completion is still a while out?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Interesting, I didn't realize they were going to need a crane for the Book building. I guess that means completion is still a while out?
    The garage they are building on the southernmost part of the site is going to be about as tall as the Book Building if I recall correctly. My guess is the crane would be for that part of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The garage they are building on the southernmost part of the site is going to be about as tall as the Book Building if I recall correctly. My guess is the crane would be for that part of the project.
    Ahh yeah you're probably right. Anyway, I doubt anything is being put in the Monroe Block right now that is actually for that project, they still haven't done really any site prep.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Ryan, do you know if that garage going to be one of those automated ones [[like the Free Press Building), or a "ramp" variety? That site seems kind of small for a ramp variety parking garage.

The crane is being assembled near the Book Tower. Looks like a red tower crane.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    The crane is being assembled near the Book Tower. Looks like a red tower crane.
    I can try to get a picture later but is it on the tower side or the building side?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I can try to get a picture later but is it on the tower side or the building side?
    It's on Washington, more towards the building side.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast